Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D Modeler Survey

LightWave 3D Modeler Survey

As part of our process of continual improvement we are evaluating our Modeler package with regards to improving its performance in the industry. Your responses will be used to help direct our efforts for the next phase of Modeler’s development, so please be forthright with your responses on your modeling needs and wishes.

Some things to note: that we plan to work on Modeler does not imply anything with regard to what we may do in future in Layout with respect to modeling capabilities, and most especially does not preclude future advances for modeling in Layout. Feedback from this survey will apply to Modeler, but also to any future modeling advances within the LightWave 3D product in either application.

Here is the link to the survey: LightWave 3D Modeler Survey

The survey announcement is also on LightWave 3D Blog.
    Last edited by Chuck; 03-13-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

I guess I'll start.

Update of the hair creation tools in Modeler. The tools in Lightwave now are far far out of date and when I need to create hair for my characters, I've gone over to Blender. It's tools are far superior in being able to create the hair style I want with minimum effort, and Blender is Free!

Done !

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    I guess I'll start.

Update of the hair creation tools in Modeler. The tools in Lightwave now are far far out of date and when I need to create hair for my characters, I've gone over to Blender. It's tools are far superior in being able to create the hair style I want with minimum effort, and Blender is Free!
    Just to be clear, the thread is not the survey. That's here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...XVGig/viewform

We're not locking the thread, but will limit it strictly to discussion of what LightWave users want in LightWave Modeler. Period.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Just to be clear, the thread is not the survey. That's here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...XVGig/viewform

We're not locking the thread, but will limit it strictly to discussion of what LightWave users want in LightWave Modeler. Period.
    That is what I want in modeler.

Chuck, something's off with the survey, when you hit "next" after completing the first page, the second page appears to be the exact same as the first.

Also, in the list of rating what other pkg does better (incl. things that'd cause consider switching back), "Official Communication" is listed twice.
    Last edited by jwiede; 03-13-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Chuck, something's off with the survey, when you hit "next" after completing the first page, the second page appears to be the exact same as the first.

It worked fine to me. No problem at all.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MAUROCOR View Post
    It worked fine to me. No problem at all.
    Odd, here page 1/8 & 2/8 were the same questions. Did you put anything in the "gaming" section? I didn't, wonder if that has anything to do with it.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

So we should write here what we want to be added/fixed in modeler or filled Survey is enough ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Done Chuck and greatful you are asking us. Come on everyone jump onboard, now is the time to let them know what we want, like, dislike, after all we have been moaning about it for ages.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

So happy finally modeler get attention

Done my survey!
    Dual Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHZ // 64 gig DDR 3 // 32 cores // Windows 10

Fix ... symmetry.

Revanto

PS: There are other things that I have listed in other threads that would speed up efficiency and proficiency. If you honestly want a list on this thread, I can give one.
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

In LW Modeler 2018 the performance of OGL is significantly improved. But there were old brakes with regard to the speed of the reaction of the commands - be it just a selection or transform, deformation, etc.
    I often have to deal with the large models that clients give me. When the number of polygons exceeds a million and if the model contains more than a hundred surfaces (which is typical for CAD files), the work on such models is very difficult for the modeller's response speed.
    My own everyday pain:

I know what you are talking about, i had this nightmare in 2012 with older version of the modeler. Think was version 10. was architectural revit converted to Max and then in fbx and opened in Modeler.
    It was also very slow through the LWHub when switching between Modeler and Layout. But in Layout the speed was better at that time than Max and even Maya!
    At that time i was wondering Modeler unification because i was thinking that Modeler and Layout need about the same amount of memory, that means about twice the memory so the system have more data to move to the caches and swapping if only 24 gigs of memory. I had a friend who has 32 gigs and no problem with the same scene. Now with 64 Megabytes no problemo!
    Last edited by Photogram; 03-13-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    Dual Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHZ // 64 gig DDR 3 // 32 cores // Windows 10

I now have 64 gigabytes of memory, 6 gb graphic card. But even with Layout turned off, Modeler have lags on large objects.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast