Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D Modeler Survey

Horses for courses. I had a colleague who loved working in illustrator with his laptop touchpad, and he was really good at what he did. Me, if I didn’t get to use a tablet I would chew my fingers off. Out of curiosity, what can programmable mouse buttons do that programmable tablet/stylus buttons can’t? Is it just that there are usually more of them under your right hand?

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Aren't a lot of people here historically trained artists? I know I was studying fine arts and architecture as a double degree. Used traditional medium for painting and T square for drafting.
    Waste of money imo when people who can't draw now can be just as good as artists.
    I used a "tablet" for a very very long time up to now since zbrush 2.0. Longer than 15 years counting "traditional media". For lightwave its slow.

15 years of tablet use isn't going to beat pre-programmed mouse buttons that's nano seconds to execute than keyboard and tablet combo in lw. Right tool for the job.
    To be fair to Gerry_g, I was just yanking his chain. I'm sure he's fantastic on a tablet.
    As a career IT guy and a former pro fps gamer the accuracy of the mouse for clicking... anything whether its menu items or vertexes is hard to beat. I got my first Wacom in 1996 (ArtZ II) and I remember LW not handling it very well. Actually, it was kind of bonkers flying all over the place so I didn't bother after that. I'm sure its much better now.

But then there's something far superior to the mouse and tablet, hotkeys!
    (Only in regards to the interface of course. hehe)

That ArtZ II still works by the way, Wacom stopped updating the drivers so I had to move on.

Period.

LOL
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

excellent vid hrgiger. covered all the main sticking points. LWG - there you go.

Yes awesome breakdown of just about everything that needs improvement in modeler. Excellent hrgiger.

Top Bannana HR, hope they(LW3DG) don't slip uP!

Investment of money and time seems lost. What's the scoop, Newtek?
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

you know, id love an lxo IO for lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    you know, id love an lxo IO for lightwave
    I second that!

I agree with All you said in your video. In addition, I would like to see an option for all tools to only create quads, I.e. ensure subpatches don't break while using any tools on it. Id also like to see tools to make it easier to create any shape holes in subpatches, while maintaining an all quad mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by pmwhite View Post
    I agree with All you said in your video. In addition, I would like to see an option for all tools to only create quads, I.e. ensure subpatches don't break while using any tools on it. Id also like to see tools to make it easier to create any shape holes in subpatches, while maintaining an all quad mesh.
    Well as I said in the video, there's no reason for subdivision not to be able to handle ngons. The 3 or 4 point polygon limit for subpatches is a longstanding LW limitation and they should strive to make new subdivision algorithms without the limitations that the current 2 SubD routines have.

That said, it's really impractical for tools to only create quad meshes, as there are reasons to use both triangles and ngons in a lot of cases. Not only that, but the software would have to be incredibly smart to work in most situations without recreating areas of the mesh where the maintaining of quads would be impossible or incredibly difficult. As far as creating holes in subdivision meshes, a lot of the solutions out there for this type of thing are procedural and without any type of procedural system in Modeler, the best you can hope for is already available with Meta Mesh from 3rd powers. The problem there, which I also mentioned in the video is that once you commit to that Boolean operation, you're pretty much locked into it. This is why procedural is so important. Really the best methodology when using Modeler in these situations is to plan ahead and create the divisions needed to support the hole structure.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    pmwhite, making tools that would maintain all-quads would be incredibly difficult.

IF you need an all-quads mesh for SURFACING (not so much for deformation) you can Freeze a Catmull-Clark mesh at CC-Level 1 and it will be (AFAICT) always all-quads: it'll be heavy and the polyflow may not be great, but it will be all-quads.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

improve the point and edge selections.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomen140 View Post
    improve the point and edge selections.
    In what way?

(Saying "push the magic "Make Better" button" isn't all that informative.)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast