Thread: Can a macro value be a datalink key value?

Can a macro value be a datalink key value?

I know there’s a macro command to change what the name of the recording will be but wondering if it’s possible to have that name be a datalink key, eg. %name% as opposed to having to manually go in and change the record name each time when recording a bunch of clips in rapid succession.

There aren't any variables in macros, you can set Datalink keys, but you cannot pull them.

You can do what you want by using JavaScript and writing some code, but this certainly does take a bit more work.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_h View Post
    I know there’s a macro command to change what the name of the recording will be but wondering if it’s possible to have that name be a datalink key, eg. %name% as opposed to having to manually go in and change the record name each time when recording a bunch of clips in rapid succession.
    The filenames for both (still) Grabs and files captured using Record can include or consist entirely of DataLink keys.

For example, try entering "MIX 1 %Time%" as the filename for a recorder (notice the %DL mouse pointer when you hover over the Filename entry field, this is a tip off).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

And a thanks to you as well, Steve. You folks and this forum rocks!

You're very welcome. Get much snow this winter in TO? (I sold my almost new 10.5 HP snow blower when I left there, can't say I've missed it much.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Nothing that the maritimes or "Winter"peg would blink at... you know TO: three flakes on the ground and transit grinds to a halt.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_h View Post
    you know TO: three flakes on the ground and transit grinds to a halt.
    TO is kind of balmy. I was there when 'Bad Boy' Mel called out the army ... pretty funny (but at least he had humans picking up the phones at the North York City Hall!)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Made me laugh to see you bringing that up. I had originally referenced Mel calling in the army call but thought it might be too obscure.

It's all good until someone mentions Rob Ford.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The filenames for both (still) Grabs and files captured using Record can include or consist entirely of DataLink keys.

For example, try entering "MIX 1 %Time%" as the filename for a recorder (notice the %DL mouse pointer when you hover over the Filename entry field, this is a tip off).
    Do I understand this correctly? This is a way to Auto-Name any recorded file using DataLing Keys? If so, would you mind explaining how to do this. Thanks!