Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No reflection blurring for Standard material in LW 2018 ?

No reflection blurring for Standard material in LW 2018 ?

All the new material changes are very cool, but there are times when you just want to work with good old Standard surfaces.

I cant find a reflection blurring setting for the Standard material anywhere?

Anybody else had any luck?

I find this setting so useful and its quite a deal breaker not having it.

Scott
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa
    http://www.youtube.com/user/independentvfx

TrueArt Support
    I am working on new nodes for LW 2018.
    It's possible to make reflection blurring in them.
    If you're really interested write to me at contact page of my website.

Thanks Sensei

Forgive me for asking - but are you part of the Lightwave development team? Or do you do third party plugins so to speak?

Im on the verge of buying 2018.... but there are just so many changes and so many things not working properly (on my machine at least, I dont know if its the same for everyone else) that Im having second thoughts.

Any idea if Newtek plan on addressing all of the issues? Im not a regular on these forums so I may have missed all the big discussions on this topic

Thanks for your help

Scott
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa

I really like 2018. The .2 patch provides many critical fixes, including functional Edge Rendering.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by scott.newman.ct View Post
    but are you part of the Lightwave development team?
    If I would be part of NT team, I would be unable to help you right now, other way than making feature in application, and you would have to wait till the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by scott.newman.ct View Post
    Or do you do third party plugins so to speak?
    Yes.

Yes I use reflection blurring a lot in LW15.3, I find it quicker than using the nodes, it would be very good to get that back in LW 2018
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    See here...

LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

I think you can do it. It is done with glossiness. Specularity is the reflection and with glossiness you can adjust the amount of roughness. You can find this in the online documentation for the standard material node.
    LightWave 3D 2019 (Win64)

Ah ha! Thanks everyone.

Silly me - I see the amount of reflection blurring is automatically controlled by the glossiness (as in roughness) setting with the new Standard material.

Still... I gotta say it was very handy having the old standard material where the specular highlight strength and size wasnt directly linked to the amount of blurriness. You could tweak these things independently of each other, more of an art than a science.

It seems everything is very scientific now and you are locked into pre-defined surface relationships which is great in most cases, but not always.

Does anyone else out there feel like the specular highlight on the new materials is rather strong and overpowering?
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa

The new principle shader offers extensive control over highlights with "Sheen" , "Clearcoat" and other settings to fine tune specular surfacing. Check out the manual and the rest of RH's videos. Also, the light settings are critical to controlling highlights. Get RH's commercial training on rendering and surfacing in 2018.

Using the Discovery edition of 2018, I tried setting the Spec to 100% and the gloss to 100% as in RebelHill's fine tutorial, all I got was a spec highlight, no reflections!

This is 2018.0 if that makes a difference, or have I missed something?

Cheers
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

I have just noticed in RebelHill's video that the standard material is slightly different to mine.

In mine Refraction Blur is greyed out and comes after Translucency, so perhaps he has a slightly different version?
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Andy, I was having the same problem. Then I discovered under the SHADING MODEL tab that default reflection option is set to "raytrace only" - so the backdrop gradient wasnt showing up in my reflections. The otehr thing I fiddled with was the checkbox for "glossy rflections" and then all the reflection magic started happening.

I took the plunge and purchased 2018 and I feel happy. Im blown away by how much faster the instancing is! And the buffer export for motion vectors seems to work properly which is awesome. Its a major step up for me as I was running LW 11.5

Thanks for the tips Fez - I'll definitely take a look at RH's stuff
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Chris (Fez) do you happen to have a link to RH's commercial training on rendering and surfacing in 2018? I cant seem to find it
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    I have just noticed in RebelHill's video that the standard material is slightly different to mine.

In mine Refraction Blur is greyed out and comes after Translucency, so perhaps he has a slightly different version?
    Controls are usually greyed out if something is connected to nodal input to override them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast