Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Really NewTek?

To get back to the original subject of this post...

The way I see it, Mark Granger's departure could only mean 1 of 3 things:
    1. LWG is downsizing because of lack of income. In which case, LW will drift for a few years until it's finally dead, or until it becomes the equivalent of Realsoft (previously Real3D), which is still being developed, but kind of mostly dead.
    2. Since Antii is finished with the shading stuff (there really is no much need for more shaders in LW2018), he will take over Mark's work and continue where Mark left off (GPU rendering not withstanding).
    3. Newtek decided to leave the renderer as it is, and implement a stand-alone renderer such as Octane, Cycles or ProRender. After all, that's exactly what Autodesk had done with both Maya and Max (and Arnold), so it might just be the logical path in this highly competitive market.

Which one is right? Only time will tell..
    Last edited by kfiram; 03-02-2018 at 07:29 PM.

They went dark too long. Mark said he was working on the new renderer for 3 years. NT must have spent a ton of money that time with little return.
    That's what people who were complaining about the silence were afraid of. Another XSI.
    Its a business, what do people think will happen.....people will flock when lw is finally released after a long silence?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    t'was mummyman himself that created and named the scene... I accept no responsibility.
    Yup..no one to blame there except me. If you happen to still have that 2018 scene saved, share if you can. I'm still getting bits inside the shape on my end. I'll end it here. Thank for messing with it.

ab18 has slightly more noise in dark areas than ab15

not much of a difference though
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by kfiram View Post
    To get back to the original subject of this post...

The way I see it, Mark Granger's departure could only mean 1 of 3 things:
    1. LWG is downsizing because of lack of income. In which case, LW will drift for a few years until it's finally dead, or until it becomes the equivalent of Realsoft (previously Real3D), which is still being developed, but kind of mostly dead.
    2. Since Antii is finished with the shading stuff (there really is no much need for more shaders in LW2018), he will take over Mark's work and continue where Mark left off (GPU rendering not withstanding).
    3. Newtek decided to leave the renderer as it is, and implement a stand-alone renderer such as Octane, Cycles or ProRender. After all, that's exactly what Autodesk had done with both Maya and Max (and Arnold), so it might just be the logical path in this highly competitive market.

Which one is right? Only time will tell..
    Downsizing with the right person remaining is not necessarily a bad thing....

Now I make no assumptions about Mark or Antii's programming prowess, but just food for thought.

Russ Anderson from Syntheyes is a 1 man show that can code circles around teams of people responsible for other tracking software. I have requested features (like external alpha matte support during texture extraction) and had a working beta 2 HOURS LATER.

Worley was also such a guy AFAIK. Pumping out Fprime and others in short order. Brecht with blender wrote cycles in 4 months.

1 genius can equal or surpass entire teams. Hopefully Newtek has that in Antii.

EDIT: Dont want this to sound like Mark was inefficient at all. I would have zero opinion on that.
    Just going optimistic momentarily and hoping Newtek has one of those 'stable' geniuses.
    Last edited by m.d.; 03-02-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    Downsizing with the right person remaining is not necessarily a bad thing....

Now I make no assumptions about Mark or Antii's programming prowess, but just food for thought.

Russ Anderson from Syntheyes is a 1 man show that can code circles around teams of people responsible for other tracking software. I have requested features (like external alpha matte support during texture extraction) and had a working beta 2 HOURS LATER.

Worley was also such a guy AFAIK. Pumping out Fprime and others in short order. Brecht with blender wrote cycles in 4 months.

1 genius can equal or surpass entire teams. Hopefully Newtek has that in Antii.

EDIT: Dont want this to sound like Mark was inefficient at all. I would have zero opinion on that.
    Just going optimistic momentarily and hoping Newtek has one of those 'stable' geniuses.
    oh how good lw would be if we had people like those mentioned. a big part of that is implementing requests and making adjustments based on feedback. i think that’s where lw dev falls down. just look at the feature requests part of this forum.

I don't see how Mark leaving could be seen as a positive in any conceivable way. Yes, Antti did the work on the lighting and shading work for this new renderer but Mark was supporting Anttis work by developing the renderer itself, VPR, multithreading, acceleration, the tiles, render buffers.... not exactly insignificant work.

Some degree of downsizing after the apparent managerial disaster that was the last two years and the financial drain that it must have caused was inevitable I'm sure. While definitely not good, companies routinely survive worse. Lightwave has survived MUCH worse. It sucks for those who are let go under these circumstances (been there myself as I am sure most people have), but as a customer who relies on the software, I would rather hear about employees being let go than employees abandoning ship. The former is not good, but the latter, which doesn't seem to be happening at the moment, is REALLY bad.

So not a positive, but no real indication that its the end of the world, either.

Some degree of downsizing after the apparent managerial disaster that was the last two years and the financial drain that it must have caused was inevitable I'm sure. While definitely not good, companies routinely survive worse.
    yep.

my most curious thought is what state Layout is in (point,edge,poly manipulation), and if they finally are aiming for a Modeler / Layout merge.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1536472
    so let's see what LW2020 brings
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    So not a positive, but no real indication that its the end of the world, either.
    Its only the end of the world for people who don't have a backup plan. Like the XSI users who didn't study another software just incase AD eol'd the product.
    https://community.foundry.com/discus...bout-softimage

That guy thought he could stick with xsi for 10 years after AD killed it. He's thinking different now only after 3 years?

I feel really sorry for any one who gets fired or laid off. It really sucks. As for what it means I have no idea. When Allen Hastings and Stuart Ferguson, had their parting of the ways with Newtek, it clearly meant they were taking part of Lightwave with them and also meant Newtek was going to keep part of Lightwave. Newtek got to keep the name and history, they left with a bunch of the customers. This is not that. Newtek clearly plans to keep developing Lightwave. They are the ones who have to decide what is the best way to do that, based on a lot of things no one out side of the company, or even outside a couple of offices, knows about. Newtek will release updates, if they are good enough, people will likely stay with Lightwave. They will advertise and market. If they do that well enough, they will get new customers. Deciding to hire or part ways with an employee is a guess that you make to further those goals. I don't think any one on this side of the fence has enough information to know if it was a good or bad choice. either way, it really does suck to get laid off or fired...

I seriously doubt that LWG doesn't have enough knowledge in house to cover his area. It is like saying that Mark was the only one how knew anything about the engine. Which would make it a one man show. Seriously... what if he had an accident during development etc.. ? No, they have enough in house.. I'm certain of it. And just because they won't replace his role, doesn't mean they won't have some other type of arrangement now.. or in the future. .. I am not at all worried regarding this. People leave.. it really isn't more significant than that. And should they find a need for such a position specifically.. I'm sure they can find one to fill that place.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 03-03-2018 at 09:32 AM.

i hope Mr. Cross may post something here about rendering department..

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    attached scene file ...
    Thanks for posting that scene RebelHill and mummyman. Only problem is that I get those dreaded fireflies rendering the scene you posted?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lw18_crop.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	140487

Is that the one you used for your render comparisons you posted ? If so there's something weird going on. Has something changed between 2018.1 and the latest patch?

PS: I've got your 2018 rendering videos and they are extremely helpful. Thoroughly recommended for anyone wanting to get up to speed with the new render engine

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast