Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Really NewTek?

Really NewTek?

Lightwave's biggest selling point has always been its renderer. So why eliminate the guy who codes it?
    2018 renderer is fabulous but it needs more work - it's not the speediest thing in the world and has issues with fireflies and noise - so obviously more work and optimizations are needed. I hope he commented his code real well for Antti or whoever is going to take his workload.

Where did you find this news? It really is a bit odd - it will only slow down Lightwave's development, I think. Good render engine coders are hard to find.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Link or it didn't happen.

Well that's disappointing to read. His position was eliminated...the developer of the renderer position....Extremely odd.
    Good luck anyway. You created one of the best bang for the buck renderer out there. Always wanted a plugin renderer for other apps sold based on the lw renderer. Maybe it will happen now.

I find it really strange that people think they know everything better than the company that makes the actual software. It looks like users here in the forums know more about sales, marketing and even which programmer to hire? Do you guys know all these guys personally? Do you have a valuable judgment about any of these subjects? No...probably not. You act like you know more about the company than the company itself. I think this is non of your business who gets hired and who they let go. Innovation is good and the current renderer is bad. So new fresh visions/innovations would be more than welcome. (This is not a personal attack on you snosrap just my view on what I see here on the forums)
    Last edited by Every4thPixel; 03-01-2018 at 02:43 AM.

hmmm interesting two options
    1- Antii and rest of team will take over.. which is a good thing
    2- Be the first 3D company which gives Octane license with its own license (after unity) ... which is an awesome thing )

Quote Originally Posted by Every4thPixel
    Innovation is good and the current renderer is bad. So new fresh visions/innovations would be more than welcome. (This is not a personal attack on you snosrap just my view on what I see here on the forums)
    No, it's a personal attack on the devs.

I was with you, up until this point. LW2018 is out, so if redundancies are due, it would be now. That said, Mark was a pretty cool guy and he has done amazing things with the renderer over the years. I'm sorry to see him go. I wish him well in what ever he does next.
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

Quote Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
    No, it's a personal attack on the devs.

I was with you, up until this point. LW2018 is out, so if redundancies are due, it would be now. That said, Mark was a pretty cool guy and he has done amazing things with the renderer over the years. I'm sorry to see him go. I wish him well in what ever he does next.
    That's not for you to decide if it is personal. The new renderer has serious issues and it's not a crime to point this out and that doesn't have any thing to do with comments being personal. Being a cool guys doesn't make the renderer beter. It may not be fun to hear the render is not what we hoped. I'm not saying the devs who made it suck or anything. The made some stunning code but compared to other renderers out there they are not even close to the quality and speed we can achieve with renderer like VRay or Arnold.

You guys sound like: If we put a group of really cool and nice devs together and start to really intensively hope they eventually make the best renderer ever. You need good coders for that, not nice cute guys or girls.
    I'm not saying anything about any person of the devs group I'm judging the result that came out of it. The renderer. I can see that is not good by testing it. These are facts not feelings or anything. It's really simple: Test the renderer with complex scenes and you soon find out that it's not that great. The concept of the renderer is, but real thing isn't.
    Last edited by Every4thPixel; 03-01-2018 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Every4thPixel View Post
    That's not for you to decide if it is personal. The new renderer has serious issues and it's not a crime to point this out and that doesn't have any thing to do with comments being personal. Being a cool guys doesn't make the renderer beter. It may not be fun to hear the render is not what we hoped. I'm not saying the devs who made it suck or anything. The made some stunning code but compared to other renderers out there they are not even close to the quality and speed we can achieve with renderer like VRay or Arnold.
    We're close to Arnold speed or maybe a bit faster. Doesn't really mean much since Arnold is slow. Haha
    Can you post your render on that scene you mentioned in the other thread. Just curious.

So, um, no link to the info. More gossip or actual fact? Why make comments and not explain where they're coming from.

UK guys on the fb forums picked up on it yesterday. Apparently Mark Granges posted an update on his fb and confirmed its the case.

eh... The quality is there. We need the speed.

And the guy that said, to paraphrase, "it ain't your business!", has the best point.
    It is their business and theirs to do with what they please. I really don't know how many times they have fired and hired a new barista down the block but they don't seem to be having problems with that.

It is a business. And his. Alone. I believe the case has been made to keep the doors open on LW and to invest appropriately in it.

My recourse, as is any other user, is to invest (aka as upgrading) or not. I have. That's about all the say I have. Oh yeah, they gave me bug reporting and a feedback mechanism to talk to them. Great, as long as we use it.

The paradigm and thinking on these terms needs to get modernized. We've had a .o1 release; we anticipate another soon. Seems their coffee making goes on, and we would be none the wiser were it not for the 'social gossiping' tools available. We are though and a big, "So what..." goes with it.

Drama... Why does the already fallen sky around here always have to be falling?

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    We're close to Arnold speed or maybe a bit faster. Doesn't really mean much since Arnold is slow. Haha
    Can you post your render on that scene you mentioned in the other thread. Just curious.
    I really want to share these renders but I'm not allowed to. Maybe later after the project has been released. Maybe you can try the scene I posted with some trials of maya and vray if you don't own a license.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    hmmm interesting two options
    1- Antii and rest of team will take over.. which is a good thing
    2- Be the first 3D company which gives Octane license with its own license (after unity) ... which is an awesome thing )
    3 - They focus now on Modeler (Shooting Stars)

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast