Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TriCaster 860 SE and NDI

Jeff,
    I've installed the NDI Tools for Windows on My Windows 10 Laptop, My TriCaster 860 (yesterday), my MacBook and my internet Windows 7 computer (yesterday). When accessing the Test Patterns all three PCs opened the Test Pattern window where I could select any pattern. I selected Bars each time. Then The startup say to open the NDI Monitor. In each and every case, each of my PCs had the error stating the NDI had stopped working. The only computer out of the bunch that worked was the Mac, but I had no Test Patterns to select from on the Mac because the Mac NDI Tools doesn't have it. I'd forgotten the problem until I installed NDI Tools on my Windows 10 Laptop a few minutes ago and had the same error as the other two PCs. Has anyone checked the download for PCs lately?
    Bob
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder

"Then The startup say to open the NDI Monitor."

Sorry, don't know what that means.

Uninstall NDI Tools from TriCaster, no reason for it to be installed there

I should note that for testing purposes, NDI works without a TriCaster at all! For instance, run NDI Test Patterns on one PC, and NDI Studio Monitor on another PC (send and receive). If that works on the network, then you should be in good shape for TC to also get the NDI signal.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

The simplest test would be to run Test Patterns and Studio Monitor on the same system, without a network connection. If that works, I'd try a simple two system network connected using a router. You may be tripping over some firewall setting on your systems, or some other roadblock.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

NDI Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The simplest test would be to run Test Patterns and Studio Monitor on the same system, without a network connection. If that works, I'd try a simple two system network connected using a router. You may be tripping over some firewall setting on your systems, or some other roadblock.
    Here's the problem. (I only mentioned that I'd put the tools on the 860 because I didn't know any better at the time) but because I did, I saw that when I was being run through the startup procedure to test the tools, when I open the test patterns, that opened just fine. Then the instructions say to open the NDI Tools Monitor and rt-click and select Test Patterns. When doing so on the tools on the 860, the NDI Tools Monitor says there is an error and the NDI Tools have stopped working.

Today, I know I don't need the tools on the 860. However, I also had installed the tools on this computer from which I'm on currently. It's a Windows 7 Desk Top. Same thing occurred on it. When I got to the part where I'm to open the NDI Monitor and rt-click to select Test Patterns, I get the error that NDI has stopped working.

Since I was going to use my MacBook as the host for the NewBlue or even Live Text, I installed the Tools on it in which they worked properly, except that the Mac version has no test patterns. But the NDI Studio Monitor showed the score bug I'd been messing with on the NewBlueFX Titler.

Today, I decided to try my Windows 10 Lap Top as the host for NDI for my 860 and installed the NDI Tools on it. Running through the startup test, the NDI Patterns opened like a charm but when I opened the NDI Monitor, I once again got the error telling me to close the program and I hadn't even gotten to the rt-click part.

I'm stumped.
    So, I can't get past the error on any of my PCs when trying to run NDI as a test.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey View Post
    So, I can't get past the error on any of my PCs when trying to run NDI as a test.
    Yeah, but I think this is where you need to start. Solve the problem on a singe unit, and the rest will probably follow. I'd start by disabling firewalls and antivirus ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I just now went into the other room where my 860 is sitting with the idea of removing the NDI Tools from it. But I opened the Test patterns again and then the Studio Monitor where the error appeared again. So I uninstalled the NDI Tools. I did, however, see this computer, the one I'm writing on, in the network on my 860.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

I had a problem with NDI Monitor crashing on one of my computers when loading it and Tech Support was able to come up with a solution. I'm not sure if you are running into the same thing. If it continues, I would suggest you put in a ticket with them.

Well, I fired up My 860 this morning along with my Lap Top. The Lap Top is on wifi. When looking at the Network in Windows on the 860, I could see the Lap Top and this computer along with the 860, all on the network in the TriCaster Windows screen. So, I noticed that the MacPro, which was running and was hardwired to the network was't visible. I fired up the MacBook abd it, too, was invisible to the 860. I don't quite get that.

So, I fired up the NewBlue Sport on the lap Top and the program just simply wouldn't run on the Windows 10 platform. Since I couldn't "see" the MacBook on the network I decided to install a NewBlueFX on this computer for testing. I made a lower third, saved it and went to the 860 and assigned the net1 input to my desk top with the saves file and it works just fine. I was able to overlay it above other video and saw it run the animation.

So the difference from yesterday was to put the TriCaster and the Titler computer on a router. I just don't understand as to why the Macs don't show up as I prefer to use my MacBook as the source for the titler.

Thanks again for the help. It's good to know I can get NDI up and running even without AE being installed.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

Odd...I have an iMac which is also on the network. So I fired it up and it, too doesn't appear on the Tricaster. Someone out there MUST know how to use a Mac on NDI.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Odd...I have an iMac which is also on the network. So I fired it up and it, too doesn't appear on the Tricaster. Someone out there MUST know how to use a Mac on NDI.
    Hey ya Bob,

We use Macs and PCs together on networks all the time with NDI.

The hardest part to make things easy is having everything connected on the same network and each device having a specified IP address. Firewalls (especially later ones) can trip things up but you can get around them.

We always start out making sure every device can ping the other devices to be used.

Open a CMD command prompt and type ping XXX.XXX.X.X (the address of the other device)

Check in Networking if you can see AND access the other computers. Make sure to check going both directions.
    Permissions and Passwords are key information to have handy. Hint, make a user on each machine just for sharing and use the same password for all of them.

It sounds like you are getting there. Welcome to the wonderful world of NDI and networking.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Thanks Jef. You were going to be my next contact. I'm connected to my PCs no problem. The Macs however...

Can you give me a step-by-step for my MacBook?
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Hi Bob,

One thing I noticed when reading through this thread is the odd IP address you listed for the Mac:
    I know the IP address of my MacBook which is 198.162.10.50
    The normal non-routable IP address close to this would be 192.168.10.50

I wasn't sure if this was a typo, but all of the systems talking via NDI need to be on the same subnet, and if they aren't all on 192.168.10.x or 198.162.10.x, they likely wont see each other without some network configuration magic.

Just something I saw (which might be nothing)...

Best,
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

John, you're exactly right. I'm not a network guy and from memory I had it backwards. It is 192.168.10.50. I think it even changed when I connected via lan to the router. 192.168.1.19 using DHCP. I'm playing with these settings to see if one will appear on my 860.

Another puzzeling thing...I've downloaded the NDI Tools for Mac on my MacBook and when I open the Studio Monitor, for a PC it says to rt+click to load the monitor. Nothing I've done so far on the MacBook has allowed me to select what to load the monitor with. I thought it might help if I loaded it. It may not mean anything except to show me NDI is working.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

Well, thanks to John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

We are up and running for my TriCaster 860 SE using NewBlueFX Titler 3 Live Sport. As for the NDI Tools Studio Monitor, on my MacBook Air, the download for mac is NDI Monitor rather than Studio Monitor and instead of right click to drop down a list to load from, one just needs to activate the NDI Monitor and go up to "file" which will drop down available running NDI projects to pick from. Once I did that my NewBlueFX title (score bug) was available at my 860's Net 1 and Net 2 drop downs.

The NewBlueFX Titler 3 Live Sport gives me several templates to choose from in which I can add my team names and logos along with the Name sponsor, in this case it's DR PEPPER. My next step is to make a trip to the stadium where I'll find out whether I can utilize the stadium clocks and scores.
    Last edited by bbailey; 03-02-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12