Thread: TC Motherboard back up battery ??

TC Motherboard back up battery ??

I just read a post from "bbailey" who noted that failure to replace the backup battery on a TC mother board would cause big problems for the Tricaster. Is there a time frame as to when and a recommended procedure as to not effect the system.
    I have a 455 and a 460AE and the former has never had the battery replaced. Just don't want to get caught with a problem on a live event.
    Thanks

Currious as to what exactly happens, in theory you system clock loses time but you just go into the bios and correct it I would think.

Well, with my 3Play, it totally quit booting. I had brand new backup drives for it that I'd never installed, so I opened it up and, because it was accessible, I checked the battery which was dead. So, first up, I replaced the battery. Then I changed out the drives. It still wouldn't boot so I was scheduling a time to send the 3Play back to NewTek for repair. Figuring I had nothing to loose, I was going to really try some crazy stuff before sending it in. I didn't want the new drives to be damaged so I put the old drives back in before experimenting.

After getting the old drives installed, I fired it up and to my astonishment, it booted. 3 things had happened. First, all it originally needed was the battery to be replaced. Since the old battery had died, the BIOS had lost it's settings and had reverted back to it's default settings. So second, I had been talking to NewTek after I'd replaced the battery when they told me to correctly set the correct media type back to RAID. So now, with the corrected setting for the media and the backup battery's being replaced, the old drive, which by the way were just fine, booted.

So I called NewTek back and explained that the new drives were obviously either bad or were incorrect for my model. Turned out they had mistakenly sent me the wrong drives when I'd purchased them for backup. I sent those back and they sent me the correct ones. I'm still running on the old ones. Anyway, all that because of a battery running down.

On my TC860, I was noticing during football, that when the unit "saw" electric current, it would start up by itself. I thought this was a bad on/off switch on the TC's front panel. I say this because once I put in a new battery, I had to activate the front switch to get the TriCaster to try to boot.

I had one more football game to finish out the season on the last Friday. But that same week, on Thursday, I had a four camera shoot at an auditorium. I got to the venue about four hours early and got plugged in. The TriCaster began firing up and hung before the NewTek screen. I powered down and back up several times but she wouldn't boot.

Finally, thinking I had plenty of time and figuring I didn't have anything to loose, I decided to restore to factory defaults. I thought I could do an update once back at the studio if i could just get it to run that night. It went into the process and looked as though it was going to load the original 860 image. But it locked and stopped running. I tried everything but it wouldn't run any longer.

The next day I unracked it from the trailer and brought it inside the studio where I pulled the top. I saw the backup battery so I pulled it and measured less that half a volt. This was only 3 months since the 3Play episode. It was also the day of the total eclipse. So here I am running around trying to buy a new backup battery while everybody else is marveling at the eclipse.

I finally found a battery and ran back to the studio and installed it. Well, we tried new ram, reseating connections, you name it, but nothing worked. I ended up sending it in for repair. I got a new SSD start up drive and with my new ram, they installed the most current software image for an 860.

All-in-all, I believe, if I'd left it alone and just replaced the backup battery the next day, I might have saved that $3,000 expense. It looks like you might get 5 years out of one of those batteries. With that in mind, I'll be replacing mine about every 3 years.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder

Good to know! Is it the usual CRC2032 or something different? I'll have to check for the TC1 to be sure I guess

Its the 2032 in both cases.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

Oh, I forgot to mention that I was occasionally having to change the clock time and date. But it wasn't happening for every game. I should have known better!
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

Good to know thank you for taking the time to reply with so much detail!

Huh. I just shipped out a completely unresponsive machine for repair. I wonder if this will prove to be the problem. $200 shipping plus diagnostic and repair fees for a $4 part. I've never had a computer not boot for this - usually just get a CMOS error.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

If the battery dies it shouldn't kill the machine. It's probably just the CMOS defaults are wrong. Probably the ones configuring the HD controller.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

We have a 455 that doesn't hold the date so I am going to replace the battery. It still functions perfectly fine. What has me puzzled was about a year or two ago we had a motherboard go bad. NewTek replaced the motherboard and got it working...did they not replace the battery? The clock stopped updating shortly after it was returned....we just haven't worried about the clock but it is annoying so I am ready to fix it.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

TriCaster 460 and Certified Operator
    JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

The replacement board (and it's battery) may have sat on a shelf for several years. Batteries sometimes just fail prematurely too.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000