Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lightwave 2018 fireflies

After 8 months of using LW2018 I can happily say that fireflies are mostly a thing of the past. If you are loading older assets look at the bump maps to see if they are causing your fireflies. Also don't be afraid to crank up your keys lights to 32 samples. Some higher sample settings really effect render times, while others not so much.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

and than we come to reflection noise...
    new web page up www.null.hr

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    So you believe most have no need for HDR image render output, then?
    I don't know what needs most people have when rendering. I do know that this method worked in this particular case. Also, most people may assume that you can only limit the dynamic range from 0 to 1. You can enter a number higher than one and the images are still HDR. I was able to use this setting as sort of a clamp to eliminate the brightest of the fireflies.

Also, as I've said, it doesn't affect the render buffers and only affects the final output. This is not my preferred method, but in this case it was much better than cranking up sample settings and increasing render times.

hello,

just about the 'firefly' an example;
    (gray color is chrome)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	result.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	142873

all light; volumetric samples;34 samples; 34

the mac version crashes is a horror, as soon as you change the light settings manually
    Last edited by Obi; 09-23-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    hello,

just about the 'firefly' an example;
    (gray color is chrome)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	result.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	142873

all light; volumetric samples;34 samples; 34

the mac version crashes is a horror, as soon as you change the light settings manually

Do you need volumetric samples set so high? Are your lights volumetric? That setting is for the graininess seen in the fog from the lights. You could try adjusting your speculator samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis3d View Post
    Do you need volumetric samples set so high? Are your lights volumetric? That setting is for the graininess seen in the fog from the lights. You could try adjusting your speculator samples.
    no volumetric, but I search speculator samples...
    Last edited by Obi; 09-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.

I think he means reflection samples, under the render tab on the render properties panel.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Hi, is this carpaint shader? It makes a lot of fireflies. If so, change it to principled.

Regards
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Yes Asticles, carpaint shader
    Kryslin; Thank you

Eliminating fireflies in light wave 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Nilsson View Post
    What are your lighting settings? My first guess would be that you are sampling the backdrop from multiple sources which is causing too high contribution to indirect specularity.

If using environment light, don't sample backdrop in GI, same goes if you use portal lights. At the same time, if you are not sampling the backdrop in GI switch the shaders to raytrace reflection and refraction only.
    Below is a link to an excellent tutorial on how to get rid of those pesky fireflies in you renders. It goes through step by step on how using environment lights can get rid of those rendering artifacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AAwSFx4nA

What he said.... I found it helps dramatically with the firefly issue.... Turn off glossy reflections.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456