Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LightWave to Unity Quickstart

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    Currently if I am making a model and want to make a change, I go back to Modeler make change, export from Layout to FBX, overwriting the existing one in the Assets folder of Unity and it comes in just fine....but any new materials don't get extracted. So when I extract them it makes a new copy of all the ones I already had setup. It's a mess.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export_fbx_dialog.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	140416
    LW 2015 Dialogue

Just so we're all starting at the same point, are you checking Materials in the FBX export dialogue? If not, any new materials you've added should not show up in Unity.

I've started creating a workflow for myself having figured out several things not to do. It's getting late, I didn't spell check, and there might be some errors or things that could be more efficient.

Substance Painter doesn't seem to care for any sort of parenting from 3DS Max, but doesn't seem to mind LightWave's hierarchy so I suggest setting that up as soon as possible.

This is definitely not a one-size-fits-all, but could help someone with questions getting started on a workflow of their own.

I've looked at the LightWave to Unity linking thing, but I personally don't recommend it. Keep everything sectioned to each step in your pipeline.

If anyone has questions I'll do my best to try and answer. Not because I'm the foremost expert on this but I think this conversation isn't happening enough.

LW2Unity Workflow.pdf

If you plan on doing animation in Unity, as well as hierarchy's, you can just export out of modeler and skip the step of exporting layout. **Layout FBX exports IMO has some drawback(unless doing layout animation) because it append the model save name to each object layer, modeler doesn't and keeps just layer name in Unity, though I didn't see if they fixed that yet in 2018 export)

Just make sure you do these things first:

-Name all layers (top node will be file name)
    -Name all materials (it is a good thing to label material names with "mat" behind them or your model layer names "XXX_mesh" So unity doesn't append a number behind one or the other if they use the same name.
    -Don't parent anything in modeler (doesn't come over to unity, but I usually just set up the hierarchy animation in unity)
    -For uv spaces in one mesh only use two UVs. For example all model layers use "UV_Diff" and some that have lightmaps also use "UV_Lightmap" in lum channel.
    ((if you use more than two it might pick the wrong uv, so please clean up uvs before export))
    -Make sure you change the material to use material name(not texture name) in unity (a script can be made for this to be default in unity)
    -The Unity flip Z checkbox is great in 2018 on export. (Though I just always had my mesh facing the other way before they added this)

I've noticed that too about each layer automagically acquiring the model name and it is annoying. Still present in 2018.0.3.

My current project is requiring me to model in place rather than at origin. If I were to export from Modeler and bring into Unity, the pivot for that FBX will be at origin but the model will not. No go.
    Also, I have models that need the ability to be rotated in Unity on odd angles and I have to parent layers to a rotated Null since LW does not allow/recognize rotating of pivots for FBX.

You do bring up good points, thank you for adding to the discussion.

Again like I said, the workflow I laid out is not all encompassing, it was a solution for my current project. Hopefully more folks will chime in as more start using LW in a game engine pipeline.

Pivot positions will be respected per modeling layer from modeler. So if ya have an object far away from origin in a layer, ya can have that pivot be near the mesh. FBX export will respect that.

Hi,
    Making slow progress with Lightwave to Unity. I have got my model into Unity with animation. My model is a LED screen, and I would like to get some content playing on the screen. I have tried texturing the screen with image seq, mp4, mov but I just cant get it to show up in unity. I am using LW2015 and FBX export with embedded text.
    The texture that comes across is the base colour on the texture channel in LW.
    Any tips would be appreciated.
    thanks
    jm

I never used a seq besides a png sprite based one inside unity...but if you r using video here is a good youtube video that could help get ya started.

https://youtu.be/V8rwCWiRLWI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12