Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 97

Thread: edge rounding

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    1,788

  2. #2
    Rounded edge shader is essential for me. Use it on just about everything with Modo.

  3. #3
    Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rodez, France
    Posts
    507
    Perfect round edge with Octane !

  4. #4

    Perfect round edge with Octane !
    i read previous versions of Octane ER was bad (?) hopefully it got fixed in Octane 3.0

    or perhaps that was only the standalone version.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  5. #5
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Rounded edge shader is essential for me. Use it on just about everything with Modo.
    Agreed, once you have it, makes sense to use it just about everywhere with hard-surface models.

    Really would be good if LW got one sooner than later, whether native or third-party.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    1,788
    it’s getting old that to get functionality we need to rely on 3rd party

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Agreed, once you have it, makes sense to use it just about everywhere with hard-surface models.

    Really would be good if LW got one sooner than later, whether native or third-party.
    I think that there are 2 different free plugins (one node, one surface shader) that does edge shading but not sure if they work in LW2015 and up. The only problem is that if you have intersecting geometry (EG two cubes overlapping) then you won't get the overlapped edges smoothed with these plugins unlike the Modo shader.

    Rev.
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    it’s getting old that to get functionality we need to rely on 3rd party
    Yes I agree, it's much better to have this feature built in natively.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

  9. #9
    Registered User jbrookes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    205
    Why not just request it as a feature?
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Yes I agree, it's much better to have this feature built in natively.
    I have often found that most third party plugins and lscripts can be more stable and reliable than native LW tools. Not all the time but often.

    Rev.
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

  11. #11
    da what? daforum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    1,674
    Can you list them?
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

  12. #12
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Revanto View Post
    I think that there are 2 different free plugins (one node, one surface shader) that does edge shading but not sure if they work in LW2015 and up. The only problem is that if you have intersecting geometry (EG two cubes overlapping) then you won't get the overlapped edges smoothed with these plugins unlike the Modo shader.
    Do you have names & author, or better, URLs for either of them?

    I've been seeking one of these so long for LW, I'd love to check these out, even if they don't handle object intersection.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    1,788
    only ones i know of are tb edge shader and dpont node. neither work in 2018 afaik
    Last edited by gar26lw; 02-25-2018 at 04:58 PM.

  14. #14
    I have been using the one in DPkit for years. A shader node called Edge. I haven't installed the DPkit plugins in 2018 yet - I guess I assumed it wouldn't work. Maybe it does.

    http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/pl...l_Nodes_2.html

  15. #15
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis3d View Post
    I have been using the one in DPkit for years. A shader node called Edge. I haven't installed the DPkit plugins in 2018 yet - I guess I assumed it wouldn't work. Maybe it does.

    http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/pl...l_Nodes_2.html
    Plugin "loads", but DP Edge node doesn't appear here when selected or via Add Node->DP Kit->Shaders->Edge (on Mac LW2018, works in LW2015.3). Also, if you check the "compatible plugins" thread, I believe DP Kit is reported as non-working there as well. Not surprising, given the SDK changes.
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-25-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •