Thread: Lightwave 2018 Issues! Can anybody help?

Lightwave 2018 Issues! Can anybody help?

I have made my fiber guides in modeler and then brought them into layout and textured them how I wanted them to look but when I try and turn them to Polygonized Mixed to make them move with bullet dynamics it crashes the software every time. The other issue I am having is when I use transparency on objects it make the object refract even though I have refraction turned off in the surface editor. My example is I have tried to make polygonal hair and texture mapping it with a color channel, spec and alpha. The area that suppose to be transparent looks like a mirror. I have no reflection or refraction on it. What could be causing this? I do need refraction on in the render options because the eyes do refract. If I turn refraction off in the render options the issue with the transparency goes away. It should not be doing this. There are also many other issue with 2018 I have ran into as well.

While I can't help with the first item I can suggest for the second that specularity also controls reflectivity now. So, if you need a small spec hit, keep roughness low, and spec low as well. As for the transparent areas refracting... instead of using transparency, try using a clip map instead. You can also set Index of Refraction to 1.000 to stop rays from being refracted.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Thanks that fixed the refraction issue with transparency. The next issue I am having is with FiberFx tip transparency looking black when it should be transparent. Anybody got any ideas why.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	140137  

I'd try upping ray recursion; This looks like too many ray reflections/refractions (default is 6); When a ray is reflected/refracted more than that many times, lightwave colors it black.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

I had to up Ray Recursion limit to 14 and Refraction Recursion Limit to 14 to get it to work but that seems to have done the trick. Thanks a bunch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	140155  

Ugh, that does not bode well for larger bodies of hair, involving bundles of dozens to hundreds of strands crossing each other (think braids, etc). There needs to be a way to separately limit hair strand transparency recursion limits (refl/refr), or perhaps just turn off the recursion limits for hair strands altogether. Another approach might be to pull hair color from strand if recursion limit reached, rather than using black for shading.

When you look at how few hair strands were involved in this case, and how high recursion limits were needed to avoid problems here, it's easy to picture how upping global recursion limits to accommodate hair is likely to cause problems -- just imagine if there were jewels (or other sources of "cyclic reflections") present with such a high recursion limit.
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Another way to avoid this is to turn tip transparency off. On all of the trials I've run with FFX, I've left it off, and left things at their defaults. FFX slows things down enough with it's load/unload/reload cycles, and rendering millions of fibers anyway...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

just testing this right now and so far,..

Ray Recursion 6 - gives a pretty good result
    Tip Transparency 25% - renders quite a bit faster than 50%

so, currently, with those settings, tip transparency 25% adds 18% rendertime
    on the other hand (not tested yet) tip transparency might make it possible to lower the AA somewhat, decreasing that final render time a touch.

update;
    if i'm right about latest tests, looks like 18% rendertime turns more into something like 80%
    i might just leave tip transparency and use Fiber V instead, then use Ray Recursion 2 for shorter render times, we'll see...
    Last edited by erikals; 09-15-2019 at 04:25 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by moon1 View Post
    I have made my fiber guides in modeler and then brought them into layout and textured them how I wanted them to look but when I try and turn them to Polygonized Mixed to make them move with bullet dynamics it crashes the software every time. The other issue I am having is when I use transparency on objects it make the object refract even though I have refraction turned off in the surface editor. My example is I have tried to make polygonal hair and texture mapping it with a color channel, spec and alpha. The area that suppose to be transparent looks like a mirror. I have no reflection or refraction on it. What could be causing this? I do need refraction on in the render options because the eyes do refract. If I turn refraction off in the render options the issue with the transparency goes away. It should not be doing this. There are also many other issue with 2018 I have ran into as well.

i´ve only tried polygonize mixed two times in lightwave 2019.1.1 ...and both times it crashed Lightwave.
    I will look in to this later with some various pre-made strands from modeler, and also only grown hair in layout to check what the issue is.