Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plug-in ExportFBX failed to start.

this was never an issue before 2018 so is this more a 2018 bug, right?

Quote Originally Posted by snsmoore View Post
    Problem solved. I think it's a bug in Lightwave. If you try to export an fbx in Layout to another drive (my physical F: drive) it will fail. If I change to export to a destination of c:\temp it is fine.

Hope that helps others.
    This might apply to your situation but there is no problem for me to save to a non-system drive. Is there something unique about your F drive (format, or odd character in filepath)?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    this was never an issue before 2018 so is this more a 2018 bug, right?
    How would LW2015 know how to export a 2016 FBX? Can LW11 read LWO from 2018? This isn't a bug as much as a progressive move into the 2016 FBX format.

As it is highly unlikely an update to LW2015 would be offered, there are two ways this "bug" could be resolved by only modifying LW2018:
    1) disable LW2018's ability to export to the FBX2016 format.
    2) have LW2018's Valkyrie plugin write to different registry keys so the ones written by 2015 do not conflict.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 02-21-2018 at 07:56 AM.

number 2

More info folks:

It wasn't just the f: drive. Turns out my path on the f: drive that I'm saving files to is over 75 characters long and is 6 directory levels deep. When I save to f:\temp it is fine, but when saving to the longer path, it fails.

I've only been trying to export fbx files on lw2018, so I can't say if this was a problem before.

More info folks:

It wasn't just the f: drive. Turns out my path on the f: drive that I'm saving files to is over 75 characters long and is 6 directory levels deep. When I save to f:\temp it is fine, but when saving to the longer path, it fails.

I've only been trying to export fbx files on lw2018, so I can't say if this was a problem before.
    hmm, are there spaces or unusual characters in the path ? I am wondering if this relates to the issue I am getting.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    hmm, are there spaces or unusual characters in the path ? I am wondering if this relates to the issue I am getting.
    No spaces. Try saving to c:\temp and see if it works.

More testing, but I think I've finally narrowed it down:

It looks like if you put the lws and lwo object in a directory and then load the scene and change your content to that directory the problem will occur. When you export to fbx, it is adding "Scenes" to the end of the path, even though that directory doesn't exist.

i.e. my object and scene are in F:\temp\dir1

When I export to fbx, Layout creates an FBX Filename of : F:\temp\dir1\Scenes\myobject.fbx

So it tacks on the Scenes directory, even though it doesn't exist. That causes the problem. I thought it was a long path, but I was wrong. However, with a long path, you don't see the addition of the "Scenes" sub-directory, which creates the problem.

More testing, but I think I've finally narrowed it down:

It looks like if you put the lws and lwo object in a directory and then load the scene and change your content to that directory the problem will occur. When you export to fbx, it is adding "Scenes" to the end of the path, even though that directory doesn't exist.

i.e. my object and scene are in F:\temp\dir1

When I export to fbx, Layout creates an FBX Filename of : F:\temp\dir1\Scenes\myobject.fbx

So it tacks on the Scenes directory, even though it doesn't exist. That causes the problem. I thought it was a long path, but I was wrong. However, with a long path, you don't see the addition of the "Scenes" sub-directory, which creates the problem.
    i’m not sure this is the whole story as i only export fbx via modeller and it stopped working. think it’s the reg thing in that case.

its the path length of the export directory. its a bug.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12