Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed by Lightwave 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Don't load old scenes. The new render engine and shading is way more powerful (yes it seems a tad slower and there can be some fireflies) but man is it gorgeous.
    slower and fireflies ... no gpu ... ... ... no comment ...

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    I'm guessing since he's a cinema4d user, redshift, vray, octane are obviously faster than lw 2018 renderer. The only advantage with lw is that you get 999 render nodes. So buy 999 computers with lw.
    Well, you will have to admit the gpu rendering is not the holy grail (yet) as you just cannot simply throw everything a production demands at it and be done, so cpu rendering still has its place and also for the price of one 1080Ti you easily get a decent dual multi core Xeon racknode with much, much less power consumption that is way more flexible in regards to tasks it can handle...

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Well, you will have to admit the gpu rendering is not the holy grail (yet) as you just cannot simply throw everything a production demands at it and be done, so cpu rendering still has its place and also for the price of one 1080Ti you easily get a decent dual multi core Xeon racknode with much, much less power consumption that is way more flexible in regards to tasks it can handle...
    With a hybrid engine like Vray or Cycles4D which can take advantage of both CPU & GPU, you get the advantages of either (and both) as needed.

Vray remains a leading competitor across MANY markets, esp. now that Corona tech seems likely to migrate into Vray over time. ChaosGroup are in a great position overall, and are clearly taking steps to ensure they don't fall behind.
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-15-2018 at 04:58 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Frequenter
    VrayRT is still a good bit behind the regular version when it comes to feature implementation. Itīs surely promising but just not there yet..

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    That depends on the market. Lightwave's market is small studios, freelance, hobbyists. It would have been a better fit to have lightwave 2018 use the versatile 2015's renderer for compatibility with an enhanced compatible gpu renderer.
    Lw isn't going to be used in a huge AAA facility for rendering when those facilities can afford top tier renderers and custom renderers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    which one is the best?
    For me Vray (quality and speed), Cycles 4D (particle effects and GPU rendering) and Physical (quality, features). Redshift not yet but definitely on the radar. Corona is rental only unfortunately. iRay is also a nice renderer and works very well hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    I'm guessing since he's a cinema4d user, redshift, vray, octane are obviously faster than lw 2018 renderer. The only advantage with lw is that you get 999 render nodes. So buy 999 computers with lw.
    Yes correct. With C4D Studio, in Standard renderer (comparable to LW2015) and Physical I have unlimited render nodes. Then there is the Hardware renderer which can produce acceptable images in no time thanks to newer OpenGL features. With Vray 3.6 I have 10 DR nodes included (but I think it works unlimited via C4D network render which is a big plus for the Cinema integration).

Edit: I haven't really used ProRender yet and as far as I know network rendering is not yet supported. However Maxon just released R19 SP2 yesterday with many ProRender fixes and optimizations so I'll have a look again.

Redshift is definitely the speed king and Arnold the beauty queen with Vray very close. Physical can produce stunning quality and has tons of shaders, procedurals and tweaking possibilities but renders slow.

LW2018 is nowhere close to them in my opinion. It has potential tough and volumetric effects look nice.
    Last edited by Marander; 02-15-2018 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    It's below average. Considering all factors (speed, quality, capability etc) it's the weakest of all render engines I have. So far I've not seen a single 2018 render that stands out or cannot be done better. Besides noise and fireflies, conductors seems the worst part in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    slower and fireflies ... no gpu ... ... ... no comment ...
    It's the best renderer I've got. Most of my rendering is done overnight anyway. I can get to the point of where I want to commit to a render much faster with the new shading and PBR workflow that is new to 2018. That being said we will be investigating Kray3 when/if it eventually ships as well as further investigation of Octane. But for now - this is the best I've got. And it hands down provides prettier output than earlier versions - for me. For a first iteration I think the new renderer is really nice. Does it need refinement - absolutely!

This thread is on thin ice. We've had this conversation, and I'm not going to reiterate it in detail. Those who have traditionally been given to negativity have reverted to form; evidently anyone with a positive view must be opposed on each detail, and every competing product on the planet glorified.

My suggestion to those who feel this way is that - if you're not here to make a positive contribution - there are doubtless venues where your views will be welcome. We will not endlessly tolerate posts, threads, or members whose efforts resemble nothing more than a relentless effort to dishearten those who are encouraged by recent progress, eager to learn more about using LW 2018, and to assist one another in doing so. I'm not going to spend time debating this: posts, threads and, if necessary, people are going to start disappearing if this continues.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    This thread is on thin ice. We've had this conversation, and I'm not going to reiterate it in detail. Those who have traditionally been given to negativity have reverted to form; evidently anyone with a positive view must be opposed on each detail, and every competing product on the planet glorified.

My suggestion to those who feel this way is that - if you're not here to make a positive contribution - there are doubtless venues where your views will be welcome. We will not endlessly tolerate posts, threads, or members whose efforts resemble nothing more than a relentless effort to dishearten those who are encouraged by recent progress, eager to learn more about using LW 2018, and to assist one another in doing so. I'm not going to spend time debating this: posts, threads and, if necessary, people are going to start disappearing if this continues.

+1 !!!
    Sick of whiners who show up every time just to promote other stuff. Did they ever try the new renderer, other then comparing to Blender or whatever very expensive, power consuming multi GPU setup
    testing it with some free archviz scene ?

No kidding. +1
    MacBook Pro
    2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
    32GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536Mb

new renderer is good but needs global shading and faster vpr. miss dpont pixel filter.

now get to work! :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher_NT View Post
    Did they ever try the new renderer, other then comparing to Blender or whatever very expensive, power consuming multi GPU setup testing it with some free archviz scene ?
    I understand where it came from, but please do not answer this question and, in consequence, prolong this conversation. I don't care what the answer is - move along, nothing to see here.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have a cat.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Clearly a person of refined taste.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast