Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smooth Group Plugin beta

Great, thanks
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Ok, I added a couple of buttons to the select dialog now. There are two button pairs, to set or clear all group buttons for either active or passive groups. I also threw in CTRL+a to set all buttons and CTRL+i to invert the buttons. The updated version is the same download link as before.

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting a macOS version of the plugin? I can offer Mac-based recompile/repackage help if needed.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

IIRC I mentioned a mac version in the original thread. The intent was to do a mac build once there was enough feedback to deem the plugin usable and the amount of changes/additions has minimized. The code is roughly prepared for mac builds as most of the code framework is from my other plugins that have mac builds.

At this point the lack of anyone screaming bloody murder is indication that either it's not being used much or there are no big issues, and I have no idea which . I've been meaning to the mac build for a while, but not being sure if anyone still cared moved it into "I'll do it soon(tm)" territory. I'll try to have a look at it today.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    It would be nice to do this in LWM...
    Do you mean angle and area weighting modes specifically, or do you mean the entire functionality of the blender plugin?

The smooth group plugin actually already has working code to use either angle or area weighting, I just opted to hardcode it to use angle weighting as that seemed the most useful all-purpose case.

Built a Mac version. I've only quickly tried it with an old LW Mac version. Let me know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Myagi View Post
    Built a Mac version. I've only quickly tried it with an old LW Mac version. Let me know how it works out.
    Plugin installs into Modeler (2018.0.7 UB64), menu branch loads as well. Plugin seems to activate and assign SG values okay.

If Modeler's in Edge selection mode, and I activate "Select by SG...", select a group, and then press "Select" button, should anything be visible? If I'm in polygon mode, the selected region's polys are selected. If I'm in point mode, the "Select by SG..." option is disabled. If I'm in Edge mode, "Select by SG..." is enabled but when I press group then "Select" nothing is selected in viewport. If that's expected, fine, just wasn't clear whether applying SG to polys meant their edges were part of SG or not.
    John W.

Only polygon mode is supposed to show any selections. All SG operations are done on poly level. In LW9 the commands aren't even enabled outside of poly mode, but from LW10 on they apparently changed how that works.

It's been a while now and maybe I'm misremembering it, but IIRC I wanted to make the select button automatically switch selection mode to poly, like some of the built-in modeler tools can do. To no big surprise I couldn't find any SDK function for that though.
    Last edited by Myagi; 11-14-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Only polygon mode is supposed to show any selections. All SG operations are done on poly level. In LW9 the commands aren't even enabled outside of poly mode, but from LW10 on they apparently changed how that works.
    Well, on Mac64, the "Select by SG..." button isn't enabled when in Point selection mode, but it is during Edge selection mode. Perhaps that's a bug (and if so, worth reporting)?
    John W.

Now I'm confused. Trying it again today, it's enabled in all modes on LW9 too. Either I did some late night mistake yesterday when testing, or there's some random-ish component to it. The fact that it's disabled in point mode for you, while all(?) Windows versions have it enabled in all modes, is weird. I'll have to do some more testing.

Must've been some late night mistake. My mistake and what you saw on the Mac version is possibly related to the following. I noticed that in point sel mode, if you have any points selected then LW will disable tools that are flagged to operate on polys, which makes sense.

I noticed that in point sel mode, if you have any points selected then LW will disable tools that are flagged to operate on polys, which makes sense.
    Except it doesn't really make sense, because there can be tools which can work on multiple types of entities (f.e. points & polys). Tools should only be disabled in the conditions you cite if they're NOT marked as working on point selections -- whether they (also) work on poly selections or not is orthogonal (and irrelevant).

Can you please verify your tool is marked to work on both points and polys? If it isn't marked to work on points as well, the described behavior might make sense. OTOH, if your tool IS marked to work on points as well, then the described tool-disabling behavior would indicate presence of a LW bug.
    John W.

The thing is that when nothing is selected, then LW operates on all so to speak. Consider that when no point is selected in point mode, or no polys is selected in poly mode, if you do for example a cut/copy/delete then that operation isn't restricted to only elements of the selection mode. In other words, nothing selected is not identical to everything selected for the current selection mode, it's more akin to all elements selected in all selection modes.

To be more technically specific, after refreshing my mem with the sdk docs. What you can flag a command with in the plugin code is if it wants active points or polys (or directly selected points or polys) as input. It's not a flag that says what selection mode the command is enabled in. So the SG commands in question are flagged to indicate they want polys to operate on. Since nothing being selected in current selection is basically the same as everything selected in all modes, it makes sense for LW to leave the command enabled.

Another example is the LW Flip command, which also works in point mode, as long as no points are selected.

Myagi, many thanks for this plugin. I am very grateful you took the time to make this!

I use it on both Mac (preferred side) and PC (when I have to).
    Lightwave 2015 & 2019 (Mac & Win)
    High Sierra & Windows 10 (Bootcamp)
    Mac Pro 2009
    32 GB ram
    2 NVIDIA Quadro K5000s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12