Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smooth Group Plugin beta

Smooth Group Plugin beta

I'm creating this thread to not drag up and dilute the Vertex Normal Map thread over in LW Comm any further.

I updated the beta of the smooth group plugin a bit. Cleaned up some UI code, added and tweaked some functionality and added HTML documentation.

I'll point to the original post here for the download link. (Since post editing on the forums here are time limited and I want to avoid the direct link sprinkled around in more posts than necessary.)
    Last edited by Myagi; 02-10-2018 at 06:44 AM.

HI Myagi,

Thank you very much for this plugin, it is very good and needed for my line of work (low poly/medium poly game models which i had to finish in MAX due missing Smooth Groups in LW).
    On quick look i'd hope to have that smooth group selection panel to be non modal so it can be all the time on screen and show to which SG picked polygon(s) belong at any moment so it's easier than select by SG every time you want to check which polygon belongs to any group (although that is also need tool so good work there).

cheers

cheers
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

A non-modal dialog was requested in the other thread and I give it a brief try, but unfortunately ran into SDK limitations. Maybe there's some undocumented way, or I missed something, but I couldn't get it to work. Granted I haven't looked if the 2018 SDK has something new that would make it possible, but wouldn't be too keen on adding such a big feature in the plugin that only works on 2018.

Even if non-modal worked, I haven't seen any SDK functionality that would allow live-tracking of modeler selection changes. Only Modeler's internal tools get the luxury of such features Heck, I couldn't even find an SDK function to do a silly thing like changing selection mode in modeler.
    Last edited by Myagi; 02-10-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Myagi, I could help you with a sample on how to do it in python... if that helps
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    Myagi, I could help you with a sample on how to do it in python... if that helps
    I was a bit vague above, to not get too technical. I can create/open a non-modal dialog/panel fine, but what doesn't work is making buttons in a non-modal dialog invoke mesh-edit operations (or as a workaround, trigger a command). The reason being that both editBegin() and execute() are members of "local" (LWModCommand), and "local" is only available while a command sequence is executing. With a non-modal dialog a command sequence opens the dialog and then finishes, leaving the dialog with limited access of what to do. (I tried saving "local" and invoking editBegin later, which went straight into crash-land.)

I did consider that maybe CommandPort could work to relay command execution, but that would be a 2018-only feature. Even pre-2018 python would be an issue, because my support range is back to LW9, or at the very least LW10, since those are the two versions I have and use myself. I only throw the plugins in discovery 2018 to make sure they work, and might consider adding small feature enhancements that only work in newer LW

Are you suggesting that you with python can create a non-modal dialog that can invoke mesh-edit operations, without resorting to CommandPort? Even if that solution wouldn't really solve my dilemma, I wouldn't mind looking at some code to satisfy my curiosity, if you have the time.
    Last edited by Myagi; 02-10-2018 at 01:30 PM.

what about instead of a command sequence plugin, do it as a mesh edit tool plugin ?
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

But mesh edit isn't really non-modal in the full sense is it? I mean, a mesh edit tool is only there while that tool is active (i.e. in tool mode). If other editing tools are invoked while working, then any active mesh edit tool will be ended. Also IIRC you can't change selections while a mesh edit tool is active, which as I understood it wasn't quite the workflow that testers requested. They were looking for something more akin to say the Polygon Statistics panel. A window you can have open, click stuff in it that changes selection and in the smooth group case also can assign smooth groups etc., while you at the very least can also change selections and preferably work with other tools.

I'm more of an hard edge marking guy, Myagi, but very nice implementation!

Hi Myagi,

I'm testing/using this on real project and beside non modal panel (i know it's problem to do it other way) what i miss is selecting all applied smooth groups buttons at once. Is there chance you could add that ?

I made quick mockup but there might be better place idea where to put button or just put "all" near select...

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sgroups_Sel_ALL.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	140550  
    RAM-Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'm testing/using this on real project and beside non modal panel (i know it's problem to do it other way) what i miss is selecting all applied smooth groups buttons at once. Is there chance you could add that ?
    I'm not sure I understand fully what you had in mind (what it should do). Could you clarify?

What there is now is "Select SG Combo", which will select only polygons that have the exact combination of the selected smooth group buttons. For example, let's say you open the select SG dialog and there are buttons for 1, 2, 3, 4. Now if you set the 1, 3 and 4 buttons, then "Select SG Combo" will select only polygons that have the specific SG combination of 1, 2 and 4. If polygon has only "1,2", or "1,2,3,4" it will not be selected. Unlike "Select" which selects a polygons if any one of its assignments is either one of 1, 2 or 4.

How is "Select All" meant to work?

Hi,

Maybe i didn't explain it correctly but let me try again.

Select all would just turn on all used Smooth group buttons in top row so by that I would easily check did i missed any polygons to add smoothing on. What i often do is select all groups and then just do hide or invert to see which parts of model left un-smoothed. It's just workflow speedup. It would be like toggle Select All/None.

Thanks
    RAM-Studio

Ah, now I see.

FYI, if you leave all buttons cleared, and press "Select SG Combo", it will select all polygons without any SGs. That would achieve the same thing. Would that work for you?

Almost , It's nice trick and works very well but not in all situations 'coz sometime i'd just like to select all applied ones instead in reverse as in my example where it would go like invert selection - hide, My idea would be a bit more usable in all situations since you not need to invert selection but have select active/deselect active groups.
    In the Set SG panel you already have "clear all" button and that is what i'd like in select by SG panel and a bit more expanded into Select Active (or used ?) and deselect active but maybe as toogle button if that is possible in such panel?

Is there maybe way to make buttons work like layers in photoshop i.e. click and drag across for select/deselect layers ? That would make selecting/deselecting very quick. Just not sure is that kind of interaction possible with LW UI toolkit.

Thanks
    RAM-Studio

I'll have a look at it. Another option is some more hotkeys, to select all buttons, invert etc. (like ctrl+A, ctrl+I or something).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast