Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part Move in Lightwave 2018

Part Move in Lightwave 2018

I have been experimenting with moving parts around in Lightwave 2018 and I thought I would share some results. In the past I had several jobs that DP Kit Part Info and Part Move nodes were very useful. I am disappointed but not surprised that they don’t work in Lightwave 2018. But I found that, using the new Mesh Part node in LW2018, I can get the same results. The attached file demonstrates moving, scaling and rotating parts. (For those who don't know parts are a group of polygons that are connected by shared points. All the arrows in the attached example are in one object layer. But each arrow is a separate part.)

Also the fact that you can have more than one nodal displacement per object is fantastic. In LW2015 you have to wire all your displacement functions together in one displacement network. This makes for large tangled networks are hard to understand. In LW2018 you can have a separate node network for each function. This keeps them smaller so they can be more understandable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	move_rotate_scale_parts.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	412.2 KB 
ID:	140042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	move_rotate_scale.gif 
Views:	795 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	140043part_move_2018.zip
    Last edited by lertola2; 02-09-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Nice! I like the solution with several nodal displacements.

Well you showed us something good about the new LW, things like that should be highlighted.

The deform nodes are really cool. Great with the modifier stack.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 02-10-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Lertola, dude, thanks, you've done everyone a favor, not the least NewTek.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Thank you lertola2, it is good to see that these operations are possible in LW2018.

somewhat related, here is a link to extrude operations in LW2018 >
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155789
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Nice test, lertola2. Definetly check out N_As post in the thread erikals posted. Shame there is no time delay functions, that I can find, to add some offset/randomness in time.

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    I have been experimenting with moving parts around in Lightwave 2018 and I thought I would share some results. In the past I had several jobs that DP Kit Part Info and Part Move nodes were very useful. I am disappointed but not surprised that they don’t work in Lightwave 2018. But I found that, using the new Mesh Part node in LW2018, I can get the same results. The attached file demonstrates moving, scaling and rotating parts. (For those who don't know parts are a group of polygons that are connected by shared points. All the arrows in the attached example are in one object layer. But each arrow is a separate part.)

Also the fact that you can have more than one nodal displacement per object is fantastic. In LW2015 you have to wire all your displacement functions together in one displacement network. This makes for large tangled networks are hard to understand. In LW2018 you can have a separate node network for each function. This keeps them smaller so they can be more understandable.
    There is a user tutorial section in the docs here: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...ated+Tutorials. Just contact me...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

With the help of Ben Vost I was able to put together a tutorial on parts in Lightwave 2018! Example scenes are included. Check it out:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...LightWave+2018

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo_move_out_from_center_by_procedural_texture.gif 
Views:	466 
Size:	861.4 KB 
ID:	140392  

very nice, lertola2, thankyou for doing that.

It's a fantastic tute Joe. Thanks a lot for your time and effort guys. Much appreciated.
    Now to go through and absorb the whole thing

With the help of Ben Vost I was able to put together a tutorial on parts in Lightwave 2018! Example scenes are included. Check it out:

Brilliant, lots to pour over there - MASSIVE thanks

Joe,
    An awesomeness amount of sharing there. Thanks!

Here's to hoping more of what is 'on the shelf' at NT land gets put into our hands with such ease of use.
    Robert

Even though i haven't upgraded (yet!) there's still a great deal to like, learn and be inspired by from your docs.
    Thanks
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

short msg, daforum, your inbox = full
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast