Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision rotation in Modeler (interactive rotate fraction of degree)

Precision rotation in Modeler (interactive rotate fraction of degree)

i have done some searching, but haven't found any answers.

i'm trying to orient lots of objects quickly by hand. i have been using the rotation tool in "AC: Mouse" mode, but when used in the viewport the tool only changes in increments of +/-1 degree and many times i need to only move a fraction of that. i am aware you can pull up the numeric panel to manually enter values, but when you have to do it 100+ times it really wrecks the work flow. is there some sort of modifier key like many other software packages offer to trigger a precision rotation mode?

thanks!

Unfortunately there isn't they level of precision of rotation in Modeler.

You could write a script to do that or if all your pieces are separate layers you could do your rotation in Layout and then save transform that out.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

thanks ernpchan for that answer.

:/ that makes me sad. i'm trying to do edit morph targets for feathers on a bird, so i don't think doing it in layout would be a good option.

Frequenter
    Hi gra, I have no idea if they still work. But you could try:
    www.interialabs.de/lw/lscript/index.html
    Scroll down until you find: Batch Edit 2 (MD)

its rather old (2005) but maybe you are lucky...

edit: oh, I probably did not read correctly, you are looking more for a macro solution, so maybe this one is not for you anyway... :-\
    Last edited by fishhead; 02-02-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Setting rotation amount minimum and sensitivity would be fantastic to have as an option. I'd prefer to have rotations down to .1° and weaken the sensitivity. I find myself moving my mouse the distance of a hair to get 1°, and I'm always passing it back and forth trying to land on the ° I want.

I like the hotkey idea for precision mode on rotation.

As far as I know nothing of the sort exists.

Does the weightmap trick work? You set the falloff to weight map and make the whole object have a low weight value like 1-10% and then rotate the object.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Does the weightmap trick work? You set the falloff to weight map and make the whole object have a low weight value like 1-10% and then rotate the object.
    I've never done that before, that's pretty neat. It's a little odd because the rotations on the bottom left read what your original amount is even though the actual applied rotation is whatever % you set the weight map to. So rotating something to an exact degree would be tricky, but if you are just looking to line things up this would work perfectly.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by 4dartist View Post
    I've never done that before, that's pretty neat. It's a little odd because the rotations on the bottom left read what your original amount is even though the actual applied rotation is whatever % you set the weight map to. So rotating something to an exact degree would be tricky, but if you are just looking to line things up this would work perfectly.

Thanks for the tip.
    If you rotate 1 degree with a 10% weightmap you have rotated 0.1 degree, so you can do exact rotations.

That's a great trick for precision moving / rotation / scaling, etc.. To make it easier, I wrote a couple of LScripts: ScaleDownCommandWeight and ScaleUpCommandWeight.

These both manage a Weight Map called FractionalCommandWeight, creating and populating it if necessary. ScaleDownCommandWeight will scale down the weightmap values by 0.1 with a Minimum of 0.001, while ScaleUpCommandWeights will scale the weightmap values up by 10.0 with a Maximum of 1.0.

Both of them display the new fractional weight in the yellow-bar notification area below. They will select the FractionalCommandWeight as the current Weight map. There doesn't appear to be a programmatic way of making the Falloff be "Weight Map" for tools that support this, so the user will have to do that manually in the Numeric panel for the tool. Once you've selected it for one tool, it appears to be applied to the others.

If you move these scripts to a folder, you can use Utilities=>Add Plugins to add each of them as a plugin. They can then be assigned to a Shortcut key. I used CTRL-down for ScaleDownCommandWeight and CTRL-up for ScaleUpCommandWeight.

I'll definitely use this in the future. Nice!

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 02-02-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Falloff "Weight Map" applied to others

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    ScaleDownCommandWeight and ScaleUpCommandWeight
    Very cool, I tried them out. The first try it crashed modeler, but I've been rendering in the linked layout and working in it for a while. After starting it back up and giving it a shot, it works awesome. Thanks for writing this. This'll definitely be something I use instead of nudging over and over with the numeric panel.

A quick caveat on these LScripts: I didn't make them so they'll recognize if you add points to the mesh. If you add points to the mesh after you've invoked them the first time (like Subdivide or Add Points, etc.), you'll need to use Map=>Edit Maps=>Delete Vertex Map to delete the FractionalCommandWeight weight map. It will then be re-created when you invoke one of the LScripts again all points will be set to 1.0 (100%).

Alternatively, you can use Map=>Set Map Value to set all points to 100% in the FractionalCommandWeight map.

mTp

Here are modified versions of the Scripts which will allow adding points to the mesh, subdividing, deleting the mesh without deleting the weight map, etc.

I think I'll find them very useful. And, remember, you can hold CTRL while rotating to force increments of 15 degrees (or with the scripts, 1.5 degrees, .15 degrees, or .015 degrees!).

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gra View Post
    i have done some searching, but haven't found any answers.

i'm trying to orient lots of objects quickly by hand. i have been using the rotation tool in "AC: Mouse" mode, but when used in the viewport the tool only changes in increments of +/-1 degree and many times i need to only move a fraction of that. i am aware you can pull up the numeric panel to manually enter values, but when you have to do it 100+ times it really wrecks the work flow. is there some sort of modifier key like many other software packages offer to trigger a precision rotation mode?

thanks!
    Use the Transform Gadget and bring up the numberic panel. The sliders move .1 increments.

http://3dxyz.pro/transform-gizmo/ if you want the gizmo in my capture with instructions on how to place it in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	139908  
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Have you tried RMB drag instead of LMB drag when manually rotating? Accidentally discovered manually scaling while dragging with the RMB resizes in 10ths of a percent, whereas using the LMB resizes in intergers, per previous versions. Not sure if this is a new feature, or just took 15 years to find it. Wondering if it might work the same way with rotation and some other operations...

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Have you tried RMB drag instead of LMB drag when manually rotating? Accidentally discovered manually scaling while dragging with the RMB resizes in 10ths of a percent, whereas using the LMB resizes in intergers, per previous versions. Not sure if this is a new feature, or just took 15 years to find it. Wondering if it might work the same way with rotation and some other operations...
    what an excellent find!

i hope custom gizmos can be added in layout. wonder if there’s a way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast