Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TC1 lagging at first, then crashing

I have a similar problem
    TC-1: Video stutters, system freezes, corrupt recordings
    I recently ran into some problems with our TC-1 (build 4K-180228C). During production the system got really slow, video startet to stutter, the recorder became unresponsive and at the end, I had to do a hard reset.

Setup:
    * three camera inputs (SDI)
    * Both DDR (one in Loop)
    * three monitor outputs via NDI
    * basic transitions
    * four recording streams (one for each camera and PGM) on two hard-disks (two streams per hard-disk) - recording format: Apple QT

Needless to say, that all recordings were useless. What makes me wonder is, that the recorded stream suddenly appeared in the DDR 1 and that there were some additional files named "original_filename.1". It seems as if the system didn't record four, but eight streams, which are obviously to many. Is this a known bug, or did I miss some kind of settings?

Did you got any response? It would be nice that Newtek offered support here in the Forum, probably firstly by acknowledging that such problems are real problems and perhaps even work with us to resolve them. It just makes anyone who had these problems very afraid to use these products in any kind of production. Normally for each production we want to use Tricaster we have to have a Backup (normally with systems a fraction of the cost, and without any of these issues).
    TRICASTER 8000 with Latest AE and Control Surface
    TICASTER MINI HDMI AE
    PTZ1
    TC1 Premium Access
    3Play 3P1
    NC1 Studio I/O Module

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Make sure the software is up to date. Are you on a UPS? If so, it is true/pure sine wave? If it isn't it could cause many strange problems.
    Hi there Kanep, yes SW was the latest. And UPS is pure, recommended and sold by our local Authorized Dealer. It would be great if you to share similar problems you run into from your customers who use your products on the field daily, so that a kind of pattern is created and we can anticipate problems before the fact, not in production. Problems reported such these kind of erratic and unreliable use of Tricasters often get no straight answer or even troubleshot. Thanks, Xv
    TRICASTER 8000 with Latest AE and Control Surface
    TICASTER MINI HDMI AE
    PTZ1
    TC1 Premium Access
    3Play 3P1
    NC1 Studio I/O Module

While there are many of us here from NewTek, do not take the forums are as the first line of support. I try to help and share information as I can, but if you are having issues, you should always be working with customer support first. Until customer support is involved, NewTek is not able to track anything going on with your system. Support will sometimes sends out betas or has access to information that I might not be aware of.

http://new.tk/support
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I can only reply with my experience with the TC-1 I own and the client owned ones I have used in production since about June of 2017 and that is, It has never let me down in every single live event. This also holds true for TC460, TC8000 and MINI (all with Advance Edition).
    This is not to say I have not had to do updates or hold off on doing updates. Nor if I bring a backup when the client insist on a backup as part of the production contract. This leads me to believe its a possible hardware issue that needs NewTek support to solve or some kind of user error or external equipment, cabling or networking problem.

My top three problems I have seen are;
    People not using Import Media function (by far the biggest fix with most of my clients issues)
    Intermittent SDI cables
    Lacking understanding of their LAN especially when using NDI

Last year I did live Spartan Races, about 10-12 live using my TC-1 (two races with TC8000 and TC460 to give me 12 external inputs before I owned a TC-1) using all 16 external inputs which as you well know, only four coming in SDI. All the rest were NDI. I used both DDR's, both GFX bins, about six Buffers and and of course macros. NDI inputs were 8 via NC1 i/0 and 2 via NDI Scan Converter. I also used all of my SDI outputs and all three TC-1 multiviewers.
    Also last year, I did the International Jazz Festival live from Havana Cuba on a TC8000. On this I only used the 8 SDI inputs but I used my own built ISOCorder Pro system to capture six cameras and program via NDI.
    I can list many live productions (high profile clients, large productions, world wide viewers, etc) where I have pushed the systems with great success and praise from the client so I can say without reservation, the TriCaster is a reliable piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    I can only reply with my experience with the TC-1 I own and the client owned ones I have used in production since about June of 2017 and that is, It has never let me down in every single live event. This also holds true for TC460, TC8000 and MINI (all with Advance Edition).
    This is not to say I have not had to do updates or hold off on doing updates. Nor if I bring a backup when the client insist on a backup as part of the production contract. This leads me to believe its a possible hardware issue that needs NewTek support to solve or some kind of user error or external equipment, cabling or networking problem.

My top three problems I have seen are;
    People not using Import Media function (by far the biggest fix with most of my clients issues)
    Intermittent SDI cables
    Lacking understanding of their LAN especially when using NDI

Last year I did live Spartan Races, about 10-12 live using my TC-1 (two races with TC8000 and TC460 to give me 12 external inputs before I owned a TC-1) using all 16 external inputs which as you well know, only four coming in SDI. All the rest were NDI. I used both DDR's, both GFX bins, about six Buffers and and of course macros. NDI inputs were 8 via NC1 i/0 and 2 via NDI Scan Converter. I also used all of my SDI outputs and all three TC-1 multiviewers.
    Also last year, I did the International Jazz Festival live from Havana Cuba on a TC8000. On this I only used the 8 SDI inputs but I used my own built ISOCorder Pro system to capture six cameras and program via NDI.
    I can list many live productions (high profile clients, large productions, world wide viewers, etc) where I have pushed the systems with great success and praise from the client so I can say without reservation, the TriCaster is a reliable piece of equipment.
    When a client doesn't insist on a backup, what plan do you have in case something were to go wrong with the Tricaster?

If it is my equipment, it has been so reliable that I don’t. If i am using clients equipment and there is not setup day before the show day, and it is local meaning I drove, i could bring a TriCaster just in case. I actually have not done that in a while but I used too.
    So either it’s extreemly reliable or I’m the luckiest TriCaster OP
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

This heartening to read, Jose. I've been a Newtek fan for decades, but I have not had that experience in the last two years. Starting with the first garbled analog audio bug, then the SDI output bug, then the second noisy/scratchy record analog audio bug. High profile event failures. Then we started being more cautions with our updates - scouring the forums for at least two weeks before updating. Still, managed to get burned by the recording failure bug (it worked fine in testing - later discovered it would work once, then fail.) Now we can't log in to our CDN's natively, have trouble with browser updates so we can log in to those CDNs to get manual RTMP settings. Apparently in the current version, the second streaming encoder is borked.

What's your secret sauce? What version are you using where every listed feature is working correctly?

Just adding to all my posts: I'm frustrated and venting, but hopeful. I'm having a bit of a crisis of faith, and hope to hear from others to either affirm my frustrations [and thus nudge Newtek towards improving the update process] or give me some guidance on how to alleviate them.
    Last edited by Lee-AVP; 06-13-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    Apparently in the current version, the second streaming encoder is borked.
    Just on this point, the only recent issue I know of that might be loosely characterized this way was a bug that caused a stream ID error message to be shown if you combined a File Capture destination with other targets in a single encoder. AFAIK, this was fixed a little while back, but I don't know for sure if the fix is in the current release version.

Admittedly, we had a bumpy ride with TC1 in the early months of this year. To the best of my knowledge, several particularly truculent and hard to track down bugs were involved, but have been in the rearview mirror for awhile now. (There's a commentary and apology dealing with these items from Andrew somewhere else here.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    AFAIK, this was fixed a little while back, but I don't know for sure if the fix is in the current release version.
    Isn't it a glaringly huge problem that you can't find this out for sure?
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

No. (Who exactly said I couldn't?)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Apparently in the current version, the second streaming encoder is borked.
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just on this point, the only recent issue I know of that might be loosely characterized this way was a bug that caused a stream ID error message to be shown if you combined a File Capture destination with other targets in a single encoder. AFAIK, this was fixed a little while back, but I don't know for sure if the fix is in the current release version.
    So now Lee isn't sure if his bug is something specifically wrong with his system, if he should reinstall the "current release version" because it MIGHT be fixed, or if he should wait for the next release for a fix.

Maybe you could find out for sure?

Sorry if I sound curt, it just seemed pretty obvious to me reading this thread.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

This heartening to read, Jose. I've been a Newtek fan for decades, but I have not had that experience in the last two years. Starting with the first garbled analog audio bug, then the SDI output bug, then the second noisy/scratchy record analog audio bug. High profile event failures. Then we started being more cautions with our updates - scouring the forums for at least two weeks before updating. Still, managed to get burned by the recording failure bug (it worked fine in testing - later discovered it would work once, then fail.) Now we can't log in to our CDN's natively, have trouble with browser updates so we can log in to those CDNs to get manual RTMP settings. Apparently in the current version, the second streaming encoder is borked.

What's your secret sauce? What version are you using where every listed feature is working correctly?

Just adding to all my posts: I'm frustrated and venting, but hopeful. I'm having a bit of a crisis of faith, and hope to hear from others to either affirm my frustrations [and thus nudge Newtek towards improving the update process] or give me some guidance on how to alleviate them.
    Hello Lee,
    I'm back and should have time tomorrow, Tuesday, to go over the 2nd encoder but I don't do anything where I need to log into a web page on the TriCaaster to use it's CDN. I do often have to bring in RTMP and Stream ID into the TriCaster encoder but I have not had a problem with that. The 2nd encoder I have mostly used to create a MPEG4 file but I will try it out to a CDN
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Hello Lee,
    I'm back and should have time tomorrow, Tuesday, to go over the 2nd encoder but I don't do anything where I need to log into a web page on the TriCaaster to use it's CDN. I do often have to bring in RTMP and Stream ID into the TriCaster encoder but I have not had a problem with that. The 2nd encoder I have mostly used to create a MPEG4 file but I will try it out to a CDN
    I didn't use to, either, but on the current version am not able to log in to either Facebook or UStream directly, necessitating the use of the browser to snag the RTMP info. It's not a huge deal for me, but it does throw in a wrench when a customer comes up and says "Hey, can we stream to our XYZ page instead our PDQ page?" That used to be just a change in selection on a drop-down box. Now it's a whole browser process. Blarg.

But I now know that we can install a different browser, so at least the ability of the browser to properly render HTML5 content is presumably resolved.

My bigger question stands, though - what process are you using to vet updates before you install them? That's been the crux of the issue for us.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

When to update, Ah yes forgot you asked that.

For NewTek equipment for use in live production, I practice and preach if it ain't broke don't fix so I can sometimes go a while before updating. Then if I need a new feature that is included in a new version, I update and then test everything I would normally use and then everything else that is going to be used in the production. I test and re-test. Power down, restart and over a few days if I have the luxury of time. These days this refers primarily to the TC-1.
    For the TC8000, TC460 and TC-MINI running AE, I usually update as quick as my schedule allows and then run test to see if any issues come up and again extensive test over some days.

If any issue comes up I quickly start a NewTek Support chat to get the issue resolved and if I feel it's a very important issue, I do flex my status with NewTek but believe it or not, I do not have to flex much as the chat support has been on point.

To prove my point, I updated my TC-1 last week and before that it was Dec 2017. Mostly because I was using it on the same major production and it was working 1000% so I saw no need to fix what's not broken.

I'll add when I do a production with a clients NewTek gear, I always ask if they have any issues and then I see what version it is running. I have rarely updated a clients NewTek equipment in the field because I don't have enough time to overcome any issues the update could cause. But by making myself aware of the issues they informed me on, I can quickly deduce whether or not to be worried.

To be totally honest, what I can't quantify is how many times I may have over came an issue unknowingly just because I am technical and an old dog that has seen and been through a lot as well as being over prepared, it's possible I just fixed something and moved on.

I don't know if that answers your question but that is my process
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast