Thread: LightWave 2018.0.1 Randomization And Quantization Full HD video

TrueArt Support

Talking LightWave 2018.0.1 Randomization And Quantization Full HD video

This Full HD video is showing how to randomize scalar, color or vector, inside of LightWave 2018.0.1, using World Position or pixel coordinate, as parameters to random number generator.

Later I am showing how to quantize scalar, color or vector, to wanted step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhNopWGEMQI

Last edited by Sensei; 01-25-2018 at 10:55 PM.

cool but those nodes should be in a single node.

artists want tools that are simple drag n drop with easy setup and a variety of options on the node to give control.

it’s great lightwave can do this but it’s not user friendly, ergo fast.

thanks for making the video. appreciate that you’re doing that.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 01-25-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post

artists want tools that are simple drag n drop with easy setup and a variety of options on the node to give control.

it’s great lightwave can do this but it’s not user friendly, ergo fast.
    Some artists want that. Other artists want flexibility. Readymade plug and play nodes like you describe are what plug-in developers should provide. Or artists can share node networks - the one here could be stuffed into a compound node that you would never have to open for example, and shared Like that. The native nodes now give users the power to do a lot of stuff that previously was only available through 3rd party nodes. Lots of stuff is still missing for sure but the foundation seems to me to be much stronger in lw2018.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Some artists want that. Other artists want flexibility. Readymade plug and play nodes like you describe are what plug-in developers should provide. Or artists can share node networks - the one here could be stuffed into a compound node that you would never have to open for example, and shared Like that. The native nodes now give users the power to do a lot of stuff that previously was only available through 3rd party nodes. Lots of stuff is still missing for sure but the foundation seems to me to be much stronger in lw2018.
    yes, i realise that about compound nodes. i am making this point as I believe lw should be simple to use but powerful under the hood. one way would be a set of compound nodes made out of the base nodes that come with the package.

nodes are cool but fully nodal is slow.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    cool but those nodes should be in a single node... it’s great lightwave can do this but it’s not user friendly, ergo fast... one way would be a set of compound nodes made out of the base nodes that come with the package. nodes are cool but fully nodal is slow.
    Problem is, there are an infinite number of such possible flows/tools. Its all nice to have a single artist friendly fire n forget node... but what do you do when on one has previously needed, thought of, and as such made said node? That's the whole point of nodal, so that when you find yourself painted into a corner of having no tool to achieve a certain effect, you can make it.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Problem is, there are an infinite number of such possible flows/tools. Its all nice to have a single artist friendly fire n forget node... but what do you do when on one has previously needed, thought of, and as such made said node? That's the whole point of nodal, so that when you find yourself painted into a corner of having no tool to achieve a certain effect, you can make it.
    yes i understand the (blindingly obvious) point of the base nodes but i still think some layman’s nodes would be handy

just mho. so, let’s say the vast majority of the workflows and needs will be met quickly and easily, while the specific, more complex stuff is also no problemo.

let’s say there’s a way to craft an edge shader in nodes but i’d rather just have an edge shader for the speed of use and reduced complexity in my node networks.

i am sure similar would apply to rigging and deformation tools and processes and i am hoping, hoping some things popped up in the beta discussions and a few cool ideas were thrown lwg’s way.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 01-26-2018 at 04:52 AM.

You can always save it out to a file, easy to import, what would be nice would be to be able to make comments, a box of text that explains what the nodes do so they can be documented, easy to forget next time you go there.
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Maybe Newtek could help facilitate the sharing and distribution of user-created compound nodes. Sort of like the plugin database or something.

I still vote for a workflow giving acess to most common parameters, Essential in some situations, if anyone can make a "node tool" that works in a way so we can control random particle scale, Then I am all ears and for it, adding a texture directly in the properties of let say the new volumetrics, which happend to have taken a step back in user friendlyness and speed to set voxels up.
    While I am all for flexibility and do not say no to all the goodies nodes brings forth in terms of power to create tools, if a connection to the overlaying UI isnīt made, then you will be lost in a lesser good direct acess to these tools, and you can really question if the workflow is easier or faster than before, what you may not be able to argure, that would be the power and flexibility ..but easire and faster, no.

I am hoping the devs can make it so all the new relying node stuff, can be transcended to work outside of the main node editors, in principle...bring back direct acess for particle random scale, and textures for volumetrics, as we had with hypervoxels, sort of how houdini packs it down, but with alternative UI controls and direct acess.

TrueArt Support
    If you want to have fast single node quantize, or fast single node randomize (etc. etc.), then preorder TrueArt's Node Library 2018..

I am just teaching people how these operations are done internally...
    I showed in other video tutorial how to make reflections/refractions blurring by hand from scratch (what node or renderer does internally, behind your back).

If you don't want to be smarter, then don't watch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjvUxRnNcak

..and how to make fading away reflections with distance.... unavailable with normal nodes..
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-26-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I am just teaching people how these operations are done internally...
    I showed in other video tutorial how to make reflections/refractions blurring by hand from scratch (what node or renderer does internally, behind your back).

If you don't want to be smarter, then don't watch

..and how to make fading away reflections with distance.... unavailable with normal nodes..
    hehe, yes please carry on, they are good and i’m glad you are taking the time to make them. i’m merely pointing out that we want this ability but with simpler versions for speed of workflow like in your node pack.

lots of ppl prefer to drive the automatic instead of the manual, even if that’s not real driving.