Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lw2018 Extruding challenge: How?

here is another test i did with this sort of thing back when this thread was hot. Never shared it though. Sort of like the N_A rig but it interpolates between sections. I can share scene if you like.

Can ODRoot be used to share nodal networks and stuff? I haven't really tried it yet.

hi hypersuperduper

it'd be great if you could share, or perhaps a screen-grab.
    the method you are using here looks to work much better in regards to extruding in a more uniform way.

Can ODRoot be used to share nodal networks and stuff? I haven't really tried it yet.
    not sure, not on the LW2018 wagon yet.
    ODRoot requires LW2018 i think.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-10-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Guys...point extrusion and order etc in all honour in 2018, but did I miss somewhere Any kind of weight map based extrusion, since I really think that is necessary, and neither fertilizer or dponts verdure grow displacement seem to work anymore.
    Sorry that I havenīt had the time to investigate it all myself.

here is the scene. it is not 2015 compatible because it uses2018s new mesh info node, so 2018 only(hence my OD Root question ) but I am sure you could make it work in 2015 by swapping some of the nodes for the dpkit equivalents. You basically just need a node that inputs a point index and outputs a position.

LimitSlide.zip

Prometheus,
    I dont know how fertilizer or DPonts grow work, could you provide a video or an example?
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 02-10-2018 at 12:07 PM.

previewed the scene, looks Great hypersuperduper,

a very complex node setup like assumed   hopefully someone at NT will make more simple nodes for this soon

thank you for sharing 

for the curious ones >

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Guys...point extrusion and order etc in all honour in 2018, but did I miss somewhere Any kind of weight map based extrusion, since I really think that is necessary, and neither fertilizer or dponts verdure grow displacement seem to work anymore.
    Sorry that I havenīt had the time to investigate it all myself.
    as for node features, based on NT input and other LightWaver's contributions, it seems that most of the underlying code/data is there,
    they just need to "clean up" this and that. Layout has lots of potential, however it is not quite "there".

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    here is the scene. it is not 2015 compatible because it uses2018s new mesh info node, so 2018 only(hence my OD Root question ) but I am sure you could make it work in 2015 by swapping some of the nodes for the dpkit equivalents. You basically just need a node that inputs a point index and outputs a position.

LimitSlide.zip

Prometheus,
    I dont know how fertilizer or DPonts grow work, could you provide a video or an example?
    Since I have anything that related in my old machine that still isnīt fixed, I would need to set it up for lightwave 2015, not today though...but the ability to make it simple with premade weight map from dponts verdure pack, or using the weight outwards plugin, you can make nice growing tentacles and trees ..I frankly donīt think it would be so easy..or even possible with some kind of point order limitation and also not being able to derive the growing without any weight map.

Reply to Erikals:

It’s really not that complicated. It’s nothing compared to what bryphi or probiner throw together on the regular. The addition of the item ID Node has also made packing everything into a compound node you never need to open MUCH easier too. Item ID might just be my favorite new node. If newtek only added “self” to the item ID picker so you could refer to the object to which it is applied I think you could make compound nodes that were nearly as easy to use as a regular modifier. For displacement this isn’t a big deal, because generally it’s all applied to one object anyways, and LW2018 makes it pretty easy to find different parts of the mesh with nodes, but with nodal motion, where you are often applying the same network to multiple objects with a minor change not having “self” in Item ID is a serious oversight.

I agree that Newtek should figure out a way to help users share compound nodes. It would be great to be able to access them from the list instead of having to load them.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    If newtek only added “self” to the item ID picker so you could refer to the object to which it is applied I think you could make compound nodes that were nearly as easy to use as a regular modifier. For displacement ....}EDIT{... but with nodal motion, where you are often applying the same network to multiple objects with a minor change not having “self” in Item ID is a serious oversight.
    Please submit as a FEATURE REQUEST, asap. This is the kind of thing they should be able to whip up for a point upgrade.

I agree that Newtek should figure out a way to help users share compound nodes. It would be great to be able to access them from the list instead of having to load them.
    ??? I never tried it, but can you not simply save compound nodes like any other network? :'(
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

raw-m  Ps, I can’t get Fertilizer to work on the Mac anymore, I think Trailer is something slightly different.
    you sure? works in LW2018/PC
    try this scene >

if you can't make it work, consider a Bug report on that one
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by erikals; 02-10-2018 at 06:07 PM.

SG_Fertilizer2 in 11.6.3

As for 2018... Is vector displacement is a thing in 2018?
    Last edited by probiner; 02-10-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Neat!  

no, i don't think so, the only LW2018 nodes containing the words vector are these >

Last edited by erikals; 02-10-2018 at 07:59 PM.

I think there is a way, to the extent that vector displacement is a displacement along a vector other than the surface normal. There is the mesh tangent node that appears to be able input a texture. So maybe vector displacement maps can be plugged in there. Never used it though.

From the manual:
    “Mesh Tangent
    Input item ID of an object and a point index, outputs the tangent, normal, and binormal directions at that point. Tangent is based on texture coordinate direction specified in the node's settings.”

As for how to do that fertilizer thing with nodes in lw2018.... Above my pay grade.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 02-11-2018 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Please submit as a FEATURE REQUEST, asap. This is the kind of thing they should be able to whip up for a point upgrade.

??? I never tried it, but can you not simply save compound nodes like any other network? :'(
    I submitted a feature request a couple weeks ago. I may be wrong, but I get the sense the team is currently strictly focused on fixing bugs for the next patch release at least. ALL the bugs I have reported are set as in progress or fixed pending review. Whereas feature requests are just sitting there. It makes sense that this would be their priority, seems prudent.

Yes you can save compound nodes, but it would be cool to access them in the list. Loading is cumbrsome.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 02-11-2018 at 05:18 AM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

FReq: "User defined node networks in node list"

Yes you can save compound nodes, but it would be cool to access them in the list. Loading is cumbrsome.
    Well, there's another feature request right there. "User defined node networks in node list".

Thanks for making that request.

While LWG may have set their sights low-ish for the point upgrades, simple & sensible additions to existing nodes should be, IMO, included in such activities. Something like adding SELF, what with the existing infrastructure all there (ie, other nodes already use SELF), should be a doddle for them.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 02-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast