Thread: Anyone build a NewTek Connect Pro Throwdown PC Box

Anyone build a NewTek Connect Pro Throwdown PC Box

Such a cool app! Has anyone built a NewTek Connect Pro throwdown pc box with 4 SDI or HDMI inputs? Looking to build one with either a laptop or 1RU server chassis and a 4 input SDI or HDMI capture card. Anyone doing this with success?

Option 1
    PC laptop and expansion chassis with capture card via TB3.

Option 2
    Intel Nuc with Expansion Chassis

Option 3
    1RU server chassis with capture card housed internally.

Capture Cards
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hdmi_pcie.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ink_duo_2.html

Just looking to build a bare box I could throw down at one room for cameras to input, convert to NDI and ome homerun cable to TriCaster in another room via NDI to avoid all the cable runs.

Quote Originally Posted by dpavid View Post
    Such a cool app! Has anyone built a NewTek Connect Pro throwdown pc box with 4 SDI or HDMI inputs? Looking to build one with either a laptop or 1RU server chassis and a 4 input SDI or HDMI capture card. Anyone doing this with success?

Option 1
    PC laptop and expansion chassis with capture card via TB3.

Option 2
    Intel Nuc with Expansion Chassis

Option 3
    1RU server chassis with capture card housed internally.

Capture Cards
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hdmi_pcie.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ink_duo_2.html

Just looking to build a bare box I could throw down at one room for cameras to input, convert to NDI and ome homerun cable to TriCaster in another room via NDI to avoid all the cable runs.

If you want a 1U 4 Channel SDI to NDI solution, of course the NewTek NC1 is right there for you.
    If you want DIY then you have a PC, quad input card like the Duo 2 and Connect Pro.

If you want something else, then you can use Sienna NDI Source Multi, with Duo 2 card in a MacMini, with either a small Sonnet PCI chassis, or use the Sonnet xMacMini server rack unit to give you a 1U setup.

On an equivalent note, folks wanting to do the reverse - ie. take multiple NDI feeds and put them back out into SDI, a similar setup with different software (Sienna NDI Outlet Multi) will work. Take a look at the diagram below to see how NDI is really reaching out of its initial comfort zone and becoming truly universal. Apologies for non-newtek products in this picture, but I guess they are probably making revenue on the Panasonic camera firmware and of course you can simply substitute the panasonic cameras for the NewTek NDI PTZ, which is also less expensive I believe.

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    I would recommend you speak to a NewTek reseller and have them assist you with building a Connect Pro PC.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    If you want a 1U 4 Channel SDI to NDI solution, of course the NewTek NC1 is right there for you.
    If you want DIY then you have a PC, quad input card like the Duo 2 and Connect Pro.

If you want something else, then you can use Sienna NDI Source Multi, with Duo 2 card in a MacMini, with either a small Sonnet PCI chassis, or use the Sonnet xMacMini server rack unit to give you a 1U setup.

On an equivalent note, folks wanting to do the reverse - ie. take multiple NDI feeds and put them back out into SDI, a similar setup with different software (Sienna NDI Outlet Multi) will work. Take a look at the diagram below to see how NDI is really reaching out of its initial comfort zone and becoming truly universal. Apologies for non-newtek products in this picture, but I guess they are probably making revenue on the Panasonic camera firmware and of course you can simply substitute the panasonic cameras for the NewTek NDI PTZ, which is also less expensive I believe.

Great advice and thanks for links to Sienna. I didn't know they existed.

Jim Davis at DVS Direct makes a 4 input NDI Connect Box that sounds like what you are looking for.

I built 3 NDI connect Pro servers using BMD Decklink Duo 2 cards. works great. a little funky with the BMD card once in awhile needs a reboot, but other than that, works great in our facility.
    Gear Used:
    TCXD 8000
    3Play 4800
    VizRT IP 2-Channel
    Panasonic HDX 900 Cameras
    NDI Connect Pro
    Graphic Outfitters ScoreHD
    Graphic Outfitters Scorebridge
    Livetext 3 w/ LT [Scoreboards 2]

Would be a fun community design project. Something small format but with bidirectional SDI connectivity, which you can get from the BMD cards. Connect Pro and Studio Monitor. The question then becomes, what's the most effecient way to configure your inputs and outputs? I seem to recall Monitor had command line switches to full screen and select a source, but sources are different each show. Maybe remote desktop and a laptop so you can page through the monitors and select and full screen, but that's a little clunky. Hmmm.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

I use mine to bring VizRT legacy SDI Key/Fill into NDI Connect Pro, then pair the sources together creating 1 NDI stream with my Viz GFX channel onto the network into my TC8000. I do this for two VizRT engines.
    The Third box is basically a spare for boxes 1&2, but they are wired to router sources so I can also route any source into NDI Connect and convert it into my TC8000 SWIN 11 & 12 with embedded audio.
    the SDI Outputs are set to feed our Evertz Multiview system so these two NDI sources also can been seen by old school SDI monitors in the environment.
    Gear Used:
    TCXD 8000
    3Play 4800
    VizRT IP 2-Channel
    Panasonic HDX 900 Cameras
    NDI Connect Pro
    Graphic Outfitters ScoreHD
    Graphic Outfitters Scorebridge
    Livetext 3 w/ LT [Scoreboards 2]