Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 72 of 72

Thread: TurbulenceFD and Lightwave 2018/2015

  1. #61
    Registered User gdkeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    185
    This is helpful to know. So is it safe to say that TFD isn't really being supported for LW any longer...buy at your own risk?

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    386
    The LW community gets the silent treatment once again. I agree that is bad. My suspicion is that Jawset, which I think is just one guy, intended the new version to be released by now, but it has taken longer to finish, and because he is one guy, he's done a bad job of communication, while having nose to grindstone, trying to get the new version out. I imagine he was planning to end support for the old version of TFD when the new one came out. He did update it to work with 2018+, but it doesn't take advantage of 2018+ new capabilities, because that would be covered by the new version. I would only get the current version now, if you need it for a job. It does work.

  3. #63
    Super Member Qexit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Warrington, UK
    Posts
    1,110
    Hm, maybe this will leave an opening for Deep FX Studio when it is finished ?

    http://www.deepfxworld.com/deep_fx_studio.php
    Kevin F Stubbs

    Remember...one size does NOT fit all

  4. #64
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,572
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    At some point there was a video of the next version of TFD, being worked on. It was a stand alone application that worked outside the "host application". The idea being, it could calculate much bigger and better, separate from your scene overhead, if I am recalling correctly. Anyhow, it seemed the other part of the idea was, he would develop one application, and then it would be a simpler matter to make a I/O plugin for each 3D app. Like GoZ, but obviously it would be able to interact with your scene geometry. So it may not be so dark for LW, if all it takes is a plugin to interface with the same TFD app that will also work for C4D and others. If anyone remembers the video I'm talking about, feel free to post a link.
    To me that workflow feels like a longshot, but Jascha should know better than me about these things I reckon, questions are how bullet fractured pieces in the scene would be treated in the standalone version in order to calculate interaction, and with the native host version..you would get an instant render from letīs say a cloud simulation in scene context, you would probably loose out on those aspects, thus I do not believe in that approach of a standalone version, and I may start to completely switch to blender for this kind of stuff or houdini.
    If he provides a standalone version for when it is needed with only standalone and then a host tfd version, that may work..but probably too much work for Jascha to do.

  5. #65
    Registered User darkChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Hm, maybe this will leave an opening for Deep FX Studio when it is finished ?

    http://www.deepfxworld.com/deep_fx_studio.php
    Still haven't worked out a gas solver yet, looking for something versatile and fast. Still haven't decided if it will be classic Eulerian or something like Blenders (very multi threadable). Both have disadvantages and advantages. There are many ways to simulate liquids, but not so many for gas strangely.

    I encourage everyone to try Deep FX Studio, looking for as much feedback as possible. Also offering a free license to anyone who owns Deep Rising FX already. Offer is limited till next year. Just get in touch with support.
    Last edited by darkChief; 04-18-2019 at 07:37 AM.

  6. #66
    Registered User Oldcode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by darkChief View Post
    Still haven't worked out a gas solver yet, looking for something versatile and fast. Still haven't decided if it will be classic Eulerian or something like Blenders (very multi threadable). Both have disadvantages and advantages. There are many ways to simulate liquids, but not so many for gas strangely.

    I encourage everyone to try Deep FX Studio, looking for as much feedback as possible. Also offering a free license to anyone who owns Deep Rising FX already. Offer is limited till next year. Just get in touch with support.
    Hey Dark Chief,

    You're fluid software looks amazing. I've been reluctant to buy only because I already have Real Flow, but if you can crack the flames, gas and smoke thing, I'll definitely be buying it!

    I've wanted to get TurbulenceFD for a while, but it was just too expensive for one effect that can be done by other tools in Lightwave, although not as well. Even with the group buy in, it was still a lot and after what I'm hearing about lack of support, I'm kind of glad I held off.

    Good luck with your research.

  7. #67
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    It still doesn’t explain why there has been no reply to forum posts for over a year though.
    Specifically when paid customers are asking questions.
    There is a major difference between "paid customers" and "paying customers", especially in a one-person operation.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  8. #68
    ack ack Markc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by darkChief View Post
    Still haven't worked out a gas solver yet, looking for something versatile and fast. Still haven't decided if it will be classic Eulerian or something like Blenders (very multi threadable). Both have disadvantages and advantages. There are many ways to simulate liquids, but not so many for gas strangely.

    I encourage everyone to try Deep FX Studio, looking for as much feedback as possible. Also offering a free license to anyone who owns Deep Rising FX already. Offer is limited till next year. Just get in touch with support.
    Any progress on mac development?
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

  9. #69
    Registered User darkChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Any progress on mac development?
    I've been looking at this for a while. This is probably not going to happen anytime soon. Sorry.
    Last edited by darkChief; 04-19-2019 at 03:29 AM.

  10. #70
    ack ack Markc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,417
    Understood......
    Keep up the good work all the same.....
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    To me that workflow feels like a longshot, but Jascha should know better than me about these things I reckon, questions are how bullet fractured pieces in the scene would be treated in the standalone version in order to calculate interaction, and with the native host version..you would get an instant render from letīs say a cloud simulation in scene context, you would probably loose out on those aspects, thus I do not believe in that approach of a standalone version, and I may start to completely switch to blender for this kind of stuff or houdini.
    If he provides a standalone version for when it is needed with only standalone and then a host tfd version, that may work..but probably too much work for Jascha to do.
    My impression from the video presentation, which I haven't been able to find unfortunately, was that it would still work within your scene as it always did, but that the heavy lifting of calculations would be handled in the outside app. The outside app may have also been for getting a much faster preview to get the look tweaked faster. So the workflow looked pretty good. It didn't seem like capabilities were being lost, just made faster. Recalculating after tweaking is one of the big slowdowns in simulations, so it seemed like he was solving that.

    Again, this is just from memory, and I could be getting it mixed up, but the simulations he was showing were also taking advantage of some advancements where rather than having the volume have to be contained in a cube, that could sometimes be bigger than it needed to be, or too small and clip, it was able to carve up the area of the simulation into only the spaces needed, thus being more efficient in calculations. Hopefully it will be available for LW if he gets it done.

  12. #72
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,572
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    My impression from the video presentation, which I haven't been able to find unfortunately, was that it would still work within your scene as it always did, but that the heavy lifting of calculations would be handled in the outside app. The outside app may have also been for getting a much faster preview to get the look tweaked faster. So the workflow looked pretty good. It didn't seem like capabilities were being lost, just made faster. Recalculating after tweaking is one of the big slowdowns in simulations, so it seemed like he was solving that.

    Again, this is just from memory, and I could be getting it mixed up, but the simulations he was showing were also taking advantage of some advancements where rather than having the volume have to be contained in a cube, that could sometimes be bigger than it needed to be, or too small and clip, it was able to carve up the area of the simulation into only the spaces needed, thus being more efficient in calculations. Hopefully it will be available for LW if he gets it done.
    If that is the case, then it would be far more interesting and feasable, will have to see..to little info on his site on his development and no answers..so it leads to uncertainty and speculations anyway.
    I can just hope it doesnīt take so long time that I go on with something els, only to discover that he then would release something awesome.

    As for calculating areas near the actual fluid simulation instead of bounding boxes, that is what houdini has implemented well I think.

    The foremost issue for me with TFD currently, is that it can not use the new volumetrics..no PBR volumetrics, and the slow multiscattering.
    After that comes stability issues when tweaking curves where it crashes, and is also slow, and then feature lacks like missing weight paint and emission and openGL fire and smoke representation at the same time.

    If those where in place I may have purhcased it, also missing particle advection.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •