Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TurbulenceFD and Lightwave 2018/2015

It works, only added a container to make sure it didn’t crash.
    Will give it a proper go though....
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Quote Originally Posted by djlithium View Post
    Jascha has kinda gone dark, which is somewhat concerning - but hopefully he is just really deep into making awesome and not pulling a CanTarcan.
    The lack of updates (esp. to the Mac LW version of TFD), combined with the lack of interaction by Jascha w.r.t. LW TFD in forums, etc. definitely raises questions. He's still actively updating the C4D versions of TFD for both Win & Mac, occasionally even interacting with TFD C4D users in the TFD forums. He's clearly working on TFD (at least for C4D), but in some ways that makes the lack of LW TFD activity even more concerning.
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-25-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    The lack of updates (esp. to the Mac LW version of TFD), combined with the lack of interaction by Jascha w.r.t. LW TFD in forums, etc. definitely raises questions. He's still actively updating the C4D versions of TFD for both Win & Mac, occasionally even interacting with TFD C4D users in the TFD forums. He's clearly working on TFD (at least for C4D), but in some ways that makes the lack of LW TFD activity even more concerning.
    Actually the last TFD updates were pretty recent, LW 2018-12-11 (v1439) and for C4D 2019-23-01 (v1440).

I have licenses for both.

In C4D R17-R20 it works perfectly and stable on any machine.

In LW it only works only on one machine that is not used for 3D without GPU. On all other machines it crashes immediately Layout with clicking on any TFD button (any TFD or LW version).

I'm using the latest NVidia drivers and TDF is installed outside the LW folder. Using NVidia cards up to GTX1080.

Maybe somebody has an idea. My support incidents at Jawset were never answered / resolved unfortunately. I was never able to use TFD in LightWave. I guess it's a conflict with a dll or another process.

It works in LW2019 (again, only in the one installation without GPU).

My TFD v1439 is working fine on win7, K6000. TFD is installed in %lightwave_root%\Plugins\TFD... and version prior to that was working fine with gtx1070Ti. And this old K6000 Quadro works slightly faster than gtx 1070Ti in most (not all) cases.

EDIT: forgot to mention LW version, LW2018.07
    Last edited by next_n00b; 01-26-2019 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    My TFD v1439 is working fine on win7, K6000. TFD is installed in %lightwave_root%\Plugins\TFD... and version prior to that was working fine with gtx1070Ti. And this old K6000 Quadro works slightly faster than gtx 1070Ti in most (not all) cases.

EDIT: forgot to mention LW version, LW2018.07
    Thanks next_n00b. I guess it's a conflict with another software installed (that I have on all machines).

I have tons of graphic applications and plugins installed, they all work fine and stable, as well as other software (like VMware Workstation or IDEs like Visual Studio and Eclipse).

Really weird because that happens only in TFD for LW. Maybe one day I'll figure out what the conflict is.

I think you should try moving/"fresh install" of TFD inside LW install folder. I do not know if TFD worked for you before installed this way? Anyway I feel your pain. I sleep better if I know that my workstation is back in a software order in just 15 min with Norton Ghost.
    Last edited by next_n00b; 01-26-2019 at 08:35 AM.

I think you should try moving/"fresh install" of TFD inside LW install folder. I do not know if TFD worked for you before installed this way? Anyway I feel your pain. I sleep better if I know that my workstation is back in a software order in just 15 min with Norton Ghost.
    Thanks! Ahh Ghost, I used that too many years ago and it was great, don't know that it still works with Win10. But I find the current Symantec software too bloated.

I tried various combinations of the TFD install, inside or outside the LW or NewTek Folder, copying the dll's, fresh install of LW without other plugins etc.

One thing I know is that the old version 9xx worked, I had a demo that didn't crash. Any version 1xxx doesn't work on various generations of GeForce. Luckily TFD works within C4D without issues. Hopefully I figure it out one day and keep trying with every new version of LW and TFD.

Last time I was checking there was no Ghost for win10.

In that case, I think you should start looking for your answers on a fresh windows install with LW as the only software installed. I assume that you have already exhausted all read/write permissions possibilities.

Last time I was checking there was no Ghost for win10.

In that case, I think you should start looking for your answers on a fresh windows install with LW as the only software installed. I assume that you have already exhausted all read/write permissions possibilities.
    Yes, tried different permission settings, UAC, run as admin etc.

When I get my next new machine I will install LW and TFD very first and observe at which point / after what software install it gets broken. My current workstations and laptops are quite new and they work perfectly otherwise, so that it will have to wait some time. Thanks anyway!

Working here in 2018 and 2019 in Win 10 w/ Nvidia 1080Ti Driver 416.81. Have you checked the windows event viewer? It might give you a clue as to what is causing the crash. Start LW press TFD button let it crash then open up computer management->event viewer and look under application and system to see if it left you a clue there.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Just looked on the Jawset forums, noticed Jascha STILL hasn't replied to your thread from Feb 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Just looked on the Jawset forums, noticed Jascha STILL hasn't replied to your thread from Feb 2018?
    and that is why I dont bother purchasing..partly, I have given up on posting any questions on that forum..and it certainly isnīt promisng for the future.
    it wasnīt one thread..it was several threads unanswered.

and apart from not getting answers from my questions, there are hardly none many months, itīs too uncertain and I have a feeling or kind of a fear of it slowly being killed off for lightwave and cinema4d is where he may put all energy and effort on.

Even though I purchased Lightwave 2019, my experience with turbulenceFD in 2018 isnīt good enough in terms of multiple scattering, and that it can not be used simultaneously with the new PBR volumetrics, the mutliple scattering is frustratingly slow and with constant calculation time update for each tweak, so much easier and faster in blender.

and I need weight paint emission and full fire and smoke opengl presentation, that is in blender.
    Blenders forces works on all bullet bodies as well as fluids, that isnīt possible with turbulenceFD, those forces are made within the fluid system and doesnīt interact with bullet bodies

There are things I prefer in turbulenceFD though, such as I think it calculates faster, it is easier to set various noise procedurals to your liking compared to blenders, and it is harder to get good quality stepless volumetrics in blender.

I had the same thoughts on the LW version longevity.......are TFD’s days numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    I had the same thoughts on the LW version longevity.......are TFD’s days numbered.
    At some point there was a video of the next version of TFD, being worked on. It was a stand alone application that worked outside the "host application". The idea being, it could calculate much bigger and better, separate from your scene overhead, if I am recalling correctly. Anyhow, it seemed the other part of the idea was, he would develop one application, and then it would be a simpler matter to make a I/O plugin for each 3D app. Like GoZ, but obviously it would be able to interact with your scene geometry. So it may not be so dark for LW, if all it takes is a plugin to interface with the same TFD app that will also work for C4D and others. If anyone remembers the video I'm talking about, feel free to post a link.

It still doesn’t explain why there has been no reply to forum posts for over a year though.
    Specifically when paid customers are asking questions.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast