Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TurbulenceFD and Lightwave 2018/2015

two sides of this coin..
    GPU as Render aware
    GPU as simulation aware

GPU has been in there for a long time in Lightwave when simulating, and my gtx 1080 beats my intel i7-6700 3.40 ghz dual core, canīt imagine simulating with the CPU, at a certain amount of voxels memory...GPU will of course switch over to cpu since it can not handle that amount of data, same with Blender Fire and smoke simulations, except you can choose to render with CPU or GPU.

GPU rendering directly in lightwave, not possible.
    GPU rendering aware with third party renders together with lightwave...yes, that platform is there with octane, our Lightwave Guru has worked a bit with that.

not lightwave guru..but some other info..

Finally installed TFD with the latest build, but it does nothing but crash.

I open Layout, press the Containers button, or any other, and instantly it crashes.

Am I missing something?
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Did you make sure that you put the dependency files in the LW bin folder?

Make sure to check Kelly Myers intro, where he goes through where to install turbulenceFD, itīs important, I watched it for precautionary actions and I had no crash.
    Kelly Also warns for tweaking maps while having vpr on..constant crashes for him it seems, and that was valid for the old versions for me, but what is weird now..is that I do not have those crashes so far in 2018 and the 1433 turbulenceFD build.

there are issues of the smoke color gradient making the shading not showing up properly in open GL on my installement.
    and I wonder how the future will be with the new volumetrics, since turbulenceFD is build around the old legacy, and will not work with new volumetrics of clouds and the likes, so we got old stuff and new stuff not able to work together properly.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    not lightwave guru..but some other info..

True, I'm no guru. But that was a pretty fast setup to see if I could render decent smoke with Octane.
    And for mid to far shots, I think that works good enough. I wouldn't use the render for close ups, unless it's out of focus perhaps..

Since you can't use any displacement on the TFD sim at rendertime with Octane (like you can with the native LW renderer) you have to sim at a higher res, or make due with what you got.

Fire and explosions on the other hand is a bit tricky with Octane. Mapping a ramp on the sim to make it look realistic is hard imho.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Make sure to check Kelly Myers intro, where he goes through where to install turbulenceFD, itīs important, I watched it for precautionary actions and I had no crash.
    Kelly Also warns for tweaking maps while having vpr on..constant crashes for him it seems, and that was valid for the old versions for me, but what is weird now..is that I do not have those crashes so far in 2018 and the 1433 turbulenceFD build.

there are issues of the smoke color gradient making the shading not showing up properly in open GL on my installement.
    and I wonder how the future will be with the new volumetrics, since turbulenceFD is build around the old legacy, and will not work with new volumetrics of clouds and the likes, so we got old stuff and new stuff not able to work together properly.

Sigh...Thank you. I wish the instructions were updated to include this info.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

To note, turbulenceFD requires the old legacy volumetrics, so you will have to check that in the volumetric tab before anything can be seen in VPR or rendering
    Ah! Thanks for that tidbit!

Started a new gig recently and decided to give 2018 a go since there's some ramping up time built into the mix. They want me to blow up a building as part of the job and TFD wasn't playing nice. This fixed it.

Thanks again!

Mark
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by Spinland View Post
    Ah! Thanks for that tidbit!

Started a new gig recently and decided to give 2018 a go since there's some ramping up time built into the mix. They want me to blow up a building as part of the job and TFD wasn't playing nice. This fixed it.

Thanks again!

Mark
    Personally I do not want to wrestle with this two part volumetric system, and itīs one of many many factors that weighed in when I decided to not upgrade.
    TurbulenceFD is incompatible with the new volumetrics ..so clouds and something related with turbulenceFD like aeroplane smoke, fire, tornados, or dynamic cloud parts in concuntion is not possilbe...not without switching between these two
    volumetric system and the comp in post, which may have drawbacks.

Glad that the heads up on this solved your problem though.
    Hoping for Turbulence or whatever comes to work with the new system in the future.

I hear ya. As I see it, nothing is perfect so I'm good with "good enough to get the job done." Right now that's all I need out of TFD, I get some quality time learning more about 2018, and the client loves the work.

Win-win!
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

...TurbulenceFD is incompatible with the new volumetrics ..so clouds and something related with turbulenceFD like aeroplane smoke, fire, tornados, or dynamic cloud parts in concuntion is not possilbe...not without switching between these two
    volumetric system and the comp in post, which may have drawbacks....
    Until the update TurbulenceFD for the new volumetrics, you can use OpenVDB to render TurbulenceFD simulations in LW new volumetric system.

ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Leitner View Post
    Until the update TurbulenceFD for the new volumetrics, you can use OpenVDB to render TurbulenceFD simulations in LW new volumetric system.

ciao
    Thomas
    I know..thanks for making that clear, which I forgot to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinland View Post
    They want me to blow up a building as part of the job...
    Now there's a line guaranteed to set off alarm bells at the NSA. Any big black SUVs parked across from your house yet?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Now there's a line guaranteed to set off alarm bells at the NSA. Any big black SUVs parked across from your house yet?

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Hi Kats. New video out here today. http://www.liberty3d.com/2018/05/tur...s-engine-fire/

Regarding some of the issues we have been having with TFD in 2018.0.x
    I haven't tested just yet but many of the bugs I was running into with TFD and LW 2018.0.x - x.0.3 are supposed to be fixed. These largely have to do with the calculation slow downs and some of the other funk but I have yet to test but I'm doing that next (like today) and then proceeding with 2018 and TFD vids. I will keep you posted regarding the findings in terms of performance much like I did in the video from a couple of months back so please stay tuned to www.liberty3d.com for updates there. Jascha has kinda gone dark, which is somewhat concerning - but hopefully he is just really deep into making awesome and not pulling a CanTarcan.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

Anyone try TFD with 2019? Does it work well?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast