Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About LWCad...

About LWCad...

Hello folks,

I have a job coming up where I am needed to model some buildings and perhaps houses, so I was thinking maybe I would finally invest in LWCad after hearing about it for years now

My question(s) is:
    Since I've seen adverts for it in several places, I might just ask you guys if you would recommend me to buy it from somewhere special or if theres any deals I should be aware of?
    Also, do you guys know if it plays well in LW 2018?

Thanks!

Not sure about wheres best to buy from but I can say it's working fine in LW 2018.

These days it also comes with a top-notch installer that does everything for you, including setting up the custom menus.
    uh wha?

Quote Originally Posted by Skonk View Post
    Not sure about wheres best to buy from but I can say it's working fine in LW 2018.

These days it also comes with a top-notch installer that does everything for you, including setting up the custom menus.

Thanks, great to know

Buy direct. LWCad is fantastic. So many tools that can flat out replace many native tools. The knife tool for instance can replace native knife as well as add edges which is made possible by the superior snapping system. You can't go wrong with LWCad.

I'd have to throw in a caveat on the installer. I never found out what exactly constitutes a "custom" install, but I believe that means if you have your config files other than under the C:\Users\... area. I for one prefer everything related to any program to be within it's install folder so for years have had them in Lightwave's BIN folder such as: D:\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin\Configs, and have this pointed to in the Desktop icon's Target location as detailed in the docs.

Even so, the manual install isn't complex and pretty much the same as adding any other plug-in.

Also, the company recently formed their own site http://www.lwcad.com which is where you'll get redirected from the original WTools3D site.

With all of that being said, you'll probably end up smacking yourself for not having gotten it long ago. Enjoy.

Hi Henrik. I do most of my modeling in MODO these days but the one thing i still use Modeler for is LWCAD if that tells you anything. You wont regret investing in LWCAD and if you need any help, feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.

LWCAD is one of the only reasons I've not left Modeler a long time ago! It brings such new life to the tools. We do ArchViz and it's great.

DXFImport works great (LW Navive not so much typically)
    Engraver is tremendous for Archviz type things
    Stairs, Roofs, Doors and Windows!
    SNAPPING!

Get it already, Viktor is awesome!

LWCAD is the main reason I'm still using Lightwave.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Same here ! Lwcad is rock !

Yes!
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v431.60 (24jul19)

I know lw cad is great....I have tested it it some time ago, but I donīt have it..some critics I had then which may perhaps be a minor issue for most folks, it was the dimension tools.
    Anyone who knows if thereīs been improvement on that area, say what you want about sketchup, but the dimensioning tools was/is great, dynamicly updating and if changing a window or wall size, the dimension info changes as well, not sure how that works within lw cad?

I understand LWCAD has some sort of "smart geometry", but I don't really know what that means. If true, could anyone comment on that a little ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I understand LWCAD has some sort of "smart geometry", but I don't really know what that means. If true, could anyone comment on that a little ?
    It has 'instances'. Instances in LWCAD are like placeholder ojbects (like a window for example). You can at any time replace that window with another window asset even if you've saved the file and reopened it later. By default, these instances don't render but Oliver has included a script with LWCAD that will allow you to render them. By default, you need to freeze the instance normally to make it actual geometry.

There's also the smart mesh system which is the ability to combine polygon and nurbs objects/curves. Just wasn't sure which you were referring to.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 01-18-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I know lw cad is great....I have tested it it some time ago, but I donīt have it..some critics I had then which may perhaps be a minor issue for most folks, it was the dimension tools.
    Anyone who knows if thereīs been improvement on that area, say what you want about sketchup, but the dimensioning tools was/is great, dynamicly updating and if changing a window or wall size, the dimension info changes as well, not sure how that works within lw cad?

Depends on how the resizing is done.
    What I tend to do is put dimension lines where I want, generally in a point-to-point fashion. Then, size everything in point mode. This captures the dimension lines; to wit, there is now available live dimension information.

Probably won't mitigate your complaint, though. Sketchup is superior for such things as it is its purpose.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Thanks for all your answers! I guess a direct order from the developer is recommended then and I don't have much doubt about the quality of this plugin. I watched through this today and there seem to be some seriously nice stuff here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fn...=1378s&index=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast