Thread: growing object over time

growing object over time

hi,
    there was a plugin that i used to love that was called fertilizer. It would grow an object...meaning, i have an object fully modelled. and i weigh paint for example part of it, and the part that i weigted grows over time to reach its initial state.
    is that possible still? because the plugin wont install in lightwave 2015.3 and im sure it wont install in the 2018 version.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a model that needs to reveal. I dont want to grow along a spline.
    many thanks.

TrueArt Support
    It probably means it's 32 bit plugin. Install LW 2015.3 32 bit, and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    It probably means it's 32 bit plugin. Install LW 2015.3 32 bit, and try again.
    is there no way to do it with 64bit, im using a mac.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by nnasr.rm View Post
    is there no way to do it with 64bit, im using a mac.
    LW 2018 is 64 bit exclusive.
    But older LW you should be able to make 32 bit by RMB clicking app icon, and toggling on "32 bit mode".
    Of course it will help only if plugin has Mac version, and is not Windows exclusive. For such plugins you would need Windows emulator..

yes...sometimes it could be good with an alternative lightwave 2018 32 bit version.
    not sure if dp verdure pack may help, it comes with a weight growth displacement plugin, itīs available in 64 bit, but it may be broken, and it wasnīt as easy going as fertilizer.
    http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/pl...P_Verdure.html

Edit..I do not think dp growth displacement plugin works, not sure if itīs releated to how it reads the weight map, or how subdivision order is handled now...at least I can not get it to work.
    It was designed to work with dp tree and growing them, but it could also be used with other weight map plugins, like weight outwards to animate growing stuff etc, for dp tree in 64 bit format, it also seems that when creating a tree, a weight map isnīt created for those who wantīs to know about that.

checked this fertilizer plugin ..it was in 64 bit, but I donīt get it to work in 2018, so some thing seem broken with weight map recognition through the modifiers,
    neither fertilizer nor dp growth seem to work, not sure if itīs an order thing with how you use the subdiv modifier? and I am not sure how well weight map works if going nodal for it? havenīt checked that.https://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de...h/Fertilizer2/

Not what you were looking for, but maybe an option. It might give you a result close to what you were looking for if you made a copy of the object in another layer, in modeler and made adjustments to get the final look you wanted, then used that as a morph

DP Growth works fine in LW 2019. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Fertilizer 2 did, but I did get it to work.

Here's a sketch of the workflow:

1) create polygon object in Modeler
    2) create a weight map (value unimportant)
    3) select some contiguous polygons to be the "base" of the growth
    4) use the Weight Outward plugin to change your weight map to start at 1.0 at the base and end at some smaller value (typically 0.0)
    5) save object and send to Layout
    6) in Layout, select your object, hit p, then, in the Primitive_Geometry tab, Add Modifier > DP Growth
    7) Double click the DP Growth modifier to open its properties
    8) Set Weight Map to the one you created for this object in Modeler
    9) choose Growth Mode > Weight
    10) Scrub the Growth percentage from 0 to 100, and the object will grow
    11) You can animate this in the Graph Editor

Caveat: I can't get the other two Growth Modes to work, but maybe I'm overlooking something

Good luck!
    Lightwave 2015 & 2019 (Mac & Win)
    High Sierra & Windows 10 (Bootcamp)
    Mac Pro 2009
    32 GB ram
    2 NVIDIA Quadro K5000s