Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The ART of NOISE

  1. #1
    Studio Animator DonJMyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    575

    The ART of NOISE

    Back when I was in college in the early 1980s there was a band called "The art of noise." I know I may be dating myself but, then again, I've dated a lot of people.

    Now in 2018 the new lightwave seems to have two render modes - main calculation followed by noise removal. We are all learning the new tricks to remove noise from just one aspect of a render: radiosity, shadows, etc. The ability to tweak the image this way is so new and great for me.

    BUT when I loaded my first test scene I was disappointed that the cube was so noisy. Then I figured out how to remove the noise. But, damn, THAT NOISE LOOKS GOOD! It is kind of like floyd-steinberg dithering which I have used since ... wait for it ... the 1980s! But it is subtler.

    Newtek's new noise is nifty because it has an artistic look. Like an MC Escher charcoal sketch (see attached). In the following tests I have actually EXAGGERATED NOISE so I could see how it looks. It is very organic, non-repeating and yet is always the same (no jitter) when using the same render settings.

    Three cheers to Newtek for doing a good job of "spreading the error around" and doing it in an artistically pleasing way. Even when small amounts of noise are present in final renders it blends easily into the grain of a digital background plate.

    And, for those who don't know who "Max Headroom" is, he hung out with the Art of Noise in this video of their music. Ah the 1980s, when Iran Contra SEEMED like a big scandal. And a displaced wireframe seemed like hi-tech.

    Last edited by DonJMyers; 01-16-2018 at 02:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,449
    Hah, that old tune.. love that one

    Speaking of noise -- back in the day (yeah I'm old too) -- on Amigas there wasn't enough colors.. so not only accepting noise, but using it to "blend" colors was extremely useful. Especially if you turned colors at a high rate, giving the impression there was more colors available

    Miss those days... constantly running into limitations sparked my imagination.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-16-2018 at 04:45 PM.

  3. #3
    Studio Animator DonJMyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Hah, that old tune.. love that one

    Speaking of noise -- back in the day (yeah I'm old too) -- on Amigas there wasn't enough colors.. so not only accepting noise, but using it to "blend" colors was extremely useful. Especially if you turned colors at a high rate, giving the impression there was more colors available

    Miss those days... constantly running into limitations sparked my imagination.
    Which is better, JAWS where the shark didn't really work or JURASSIC PARK XXXX where they have too much of whatever they want?

  4. #4
    Studio Animator DonJMyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    on Amigas there wasn't enough colors.. so not only accepting noise, but using it to "blend" colors was extremely useful..
    I made these on my Amiga 500 .... the "noise" is a hand placed half tone. The same kind of tech that Roman or Greek tile workers used to make mosaics. Except they got paid for their in real life work. I just did it to learn ... virtually

    Attachment 139496
    Attachment 139497
    Attachment 139498

  5. #5
    Your attachments are not working for me on my android tablet using Firefox.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    Which is better, JAWS where the shark didn't really work or JURASSIC PARK XXXX where they have too much of whatever they want?
    I suspect that I'm unlike many people in that regard, as I tend to value the story telling, more than the techniques used to do it (much like a game should have gameplay more than eye candy) So I would vote Jaws on that one
    For the same reason I think most people today probably could not stand watching "I, Claudius" from BBC.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    I made these on my Amiga 500 .... the "noise" is a hand placed half tone. The same kind of tech that Roman or Greek tile workers used to make mosaics. Except they got paid for their in real life work. I just did it to learn ... virtually

    Attachment 139496
    Attachment 139497
    Attachment 139498
    I'm afraid something is broken there. They seem to have private setting or something.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-16-2018 at 11:53 PM.

  7. #7
    Studio Animator DonJMyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by donjmyers View Post
    i made these on my amiga 500 .... The "noise" is a hand placed half tone. The same kind of tech that roman or greek tile workers used to make mosaics. Except they got paid for their in real life work. I just did it to learn ... Virtually
    Attachment 139510Attachment 139511Attachment 139512

    fixed attachment problem

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    For some reason your 2nd image, reminded me of this one: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JimSachs_SachsCastle.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	139513 (Jim Sachs)
    Sorry, it just flashed a memory image. But being an old Amiga guy yourself, I perhaps just assumed you know who Jim Sachs is?
    He is one of two reasons why I got interested in computer art to begin with (defender of the crown & the movie Tron)
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-17-2018 at 12:26 AM.

  9. #9
    Studio Animator DonJMyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    For some reason your 2nd image, reminded me of this one: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JimSachs_SachsCastle.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	139513 (Jim Sachs)
    Sorry, it just flashed a memory image. But being an old Amiga guy yourself, I perhaps just assumed you know who Jim Sachs is?
    He is one of two reasons why I got interested in computer art to begin with (defender of the crown & the movie Tron)
    I forgot all about him. How could I forget? I almost got a job at Cinemaware before they collapsed. I would have worked with him. Yes that pic of the house is classic Deluxepaint. Note the banding in the sky because there were only 32 colors. Memories!

  10. #10
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,397
    A presentation by Jim Sachs at one of the Amiga World shows in Toronto back in the eighties that started me on this career path. I realized that while I didn't have his artistic ability, I had and was conversant with all the same gear, tools and techniques he discussed, and asked myself 'Why am I not doing this for a living?'
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  11. #11
    Super Member CaptainMarlowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Belfort, France
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    Always been fond of Böcklin. Nice tribute.

  12. #12
    To bad that they have not created more episodes of Max Headroom!!!

  13. #13
    I am enamored with the noise that I can produce with the new renderer. It is very photographic.
    It is an interesting error.
    Robert
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LightCans_Beautiful2.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	139929

  14. #14
    Is this a cousin to the lens cap plugin, the cheap CMOS plugin?

  15. #15
    Nah,
    Reminds me of working with film. Developing it in chemistry that's too cold and you got some pretty big grain.

    Grain of film seems to be a forgotten thing. Except when one is trying to dirty a CGI image.

    If you've never played with film, a darkroom and making your own photos, I can understand your all digital, off the point reference.
    Robert

    p.s., even if you have, I can understand.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •