Thread: Just saw this amazing recreation of the Star Trek Voyager intro

Just saw this amazing recreation of the Star Trek Voyager intro

I just saw this fantastic recreation of the Star Trek Voyager intro, rendered in 4K using Lightwave, and wanted to share it.

Maybe some of you have already seen it, given it is a few months old.. but if not.. here it is:

It's very nicely done.
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Yes I posted that vid link in another thread some month ago I think, not sure, someone (elliotness)asked me about what approach I thought would be best for the ship pushing through the gas cloud, particles or hvīs..which we recall was made that way in the original film, I think I suggested taking a look at fluids, might be easier if you are not very used to particles and hvīs.

So neovisual went for fluids here, and it looks great for motion, though I think the colors a bit too purple (colorscheme of bluegreen gases in the original ) and the dissolve effect looked better in the original film with hypervoxels.

That aside, awesome matching to get it look very close to the original..and sometimes better, a few shots where the original may look better though, but all in all, very impressive work.

I think he did a version in 2012 as well, that time with hvīs, took 6 weeks...

Looks very good.

My only nitpicks here is that the ship itself, Voyager, doesn't hold up on my 2k screen, probably even less on a 4k screen and that the colours of the fluids feel somewhat off. But yes... nitpicking was the word I used.

The recreation of the intro certanly shows a huge body of good work, and with over 200k views with mostly positive comments; it is a great showcase of what LW can do with talent and a small budget.

EDIT: This reply was to the 4k version of the Voyager intro.

EDIT 2: Another thing that caught my eyes, was the reflection of Voyager on the asteroid field. The scale is completely off, however... it looks cool though.
    Last edited by Cageman; 01-15-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Amazing how once upon a time it took a whole team to create that and a huge render farm to make it. If you want a real freak out, the totally CGI opening to the 1980s series "Amazing Stories" could be easily animated in a video game today with cycles to spare!

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Looks very good.

My only nitpicks here is that the ship itself, Voyager, doesn't hold up on my 2k screen, probably even less on a 4k screen and that the colours of the fluids feel somewhat off. But yes... nitpicking was the word I used.

The recreation of the intro certanly shows a huge body of good work, and with over 200k views with mostly positive comments; it is a great showcase of what LW can do with talent and a small budget.

EDIT: This reply was to the 4k version of the Voyager intro.

EDIT 2: Another thing that caught my eyes, was the reflection of Voyager on the asteroid field. The scale is completely off, however... it looks cool though.
    Hmm, I compared both the original sequence, and this scene. And the camera is higher up, and so is the ship.. in the original version. So that's why. .. But it's really well made