Thread: Morph driving displacement maps

Morph driving displacement maps

I know this can be done as I have seen it by experienced users on here. So I'm hoping someone can help me on the right road. What I want to do is activate a wrinkle displacement map from a morph. So for instance, a character face expression morph of frowning would activate a frown displacement map.
    I don't know how to do this and cannot find any tuts online teaching this.
    Can anyone help?

You have to go nodal.

You can use the length of the morph vectors themselves to drive a mask for the wrinkles at the same time they are added to the mesh positions.
    The problem I see here though is that you can save mesh attributes in the displacement node environment and then pick them up in another displacement node editor or material nodes, so I guess you'll have to duplicate the nodal morph setup in the in the instance where you apply the displacement to set up the drive.

Box step is so you define the range of the mapping of delta length to masking. I'm using 11.6x so there's not displacement in Surface Editor. But this way you can see the displacement mask which you can apply in the Displacement output there or as a factor in a another Displacement Node Editor.

Can't get this to work in 2018. Probably missing something.

Checked this in 11.6 and still not working. Must be missing something. I have it connected as in your image but maybe you did something else I've missed?

in 11.6 you can hook it into bump, then in object properties, enable bump

"enable bump" is removed in LW2018 i believe  (not added)

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I have it hooked up as in image 1 but when I move the morph mixer slider to 100% nothing changes with the texture. The morph works in deforming but no vein image is visible.

Here's a scene:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    Here's a scene:
    That doesn't work either I'm afraid. the image is visible all the time whether morphed or not. This is the problem I'm having. It should only be visible once morphed.

I've found a way of doing it for wrinkles with dp kit in 11.6. However unfortunatly dp kit doesn't work in LW2018 as yet. Was hoping there was a way using just LW nodes.

That's why I said this:
    so I guess you'll have to duplicate the nodal morph setup in the in the instance where you apply the displacement to set up the drive.
    You can't expect the morph amount in the displacement to drive the morph amount in the surface, unless you explicit connect them with a modifier or something like that.

If you are in 2018 you may apply the deltas/morphs in a copy of the mesh and import that into the main mesh on displacement level with the new Point Node that allows you to access through ID. Then in the Surface editor import the same thing but to it subtract the Object Position (Positions as seen in modeler) and with that delta do what I did, Length, Bbox, etc. This will account for all morphs and not just a single one.
    Cheers
    Last edited by probiner; 01-15-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks for the updated info