Thread: SDI Cabling

SDI Cabling

Hi!

I did an event at a hotel, and they used poor SDI cables to one of our cameras, causing the image from the camera in the Tricaster to shake every few seconds. Eventually, they switched it out with better cable. Any recommended specs on SDI cable I can request so I don't have this problem again?

Thank you!

75ohm RG59 or RG6 cable from any manufacturer should be all you need to get a solid signal. What kind of distance were you trying to run?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    75ohm RG59 or RG6 cable from any manufacturer should be all you need to get a solid signal. What kind of distance were you trying to run?
    Thanks for responding! It was only about 30 feet.

I am curious if anyone has had experience with longer runs like 300 ft. I am using Canare L-5.5CUHD 12G-SDI 75 OHM cable but, I am having trouble with it getting damaged. It seams that it is too ridged and as soon as we get a kink in it and the camera operator walks up the sideline he pulls on that kink and damages the cable. Any recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.
    Camden Smith
    iTalk1067.comhttp://italk1067.com

Common Gear Used:
    TriCaster: Mini 4SDI
    Cameras: JVC GY-HM600U
    UPS: APC Smart-UPS 1500VA
    Cable Solution: Laird 12G SDI

It's probably so ridged because that cable is rated for 12G-SDI usage. You only need HD-SDI (1.5G) for a Mini system which would allow for cable that doesn't required the same specs as needed for 12G operation.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I've been running around with the same Belden 1505A cables for years and have yet to have to replace one for any damage. I use them for sports all the time. They are rated to about 300' maximum length. It is an RG59 cable. It should be much more flexible (and cheaper) than the 12G cable you have.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52