Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No NDI over Wifi, what am I doing wrong?

No NDI over Wifi, what am I doing wrong?

Hey,
    I have a laptop on the same network.
    If I try NDI over WiFi, no go.
    Plug in a Ethernet cable and there it is.
    What am I missing?
    Thanks
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

NDI® is designed for wired networks, unless you are using a device with NDI|HX™. However, you usually can get it to work to some degree on WiFi.

When you say it doesn't work, are you seeing the source appear or do you not see anything to select?
    Or are you able to select a source but you don't get any video?
    What kind of WiFi are you trying to use (g, n, ac)?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank Again Kane.
    I'm getting in the crawl space on Monday and running wires. with iVGA if we had 3 people in studio all running things off of their laptops it was a breeze.
    Monday, running cable, a gig switch and some cables to the desk and it's a done thing.

But I would not see any source at all, so I'm making it fool proof.

Thanks again.

I'd add that once you get all devices onto same network, make sure network on each computer is set to WORK and not PUBLIC, as NDI does not work or works very poorly when set to Public.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Maybe you need close the network firewall.

Thank Everyone!
    I hate running cable in spaces that have blown insulation!
    After a bit of Monkeying around everything is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stream View Post
    After a bit of Monkeying around everything is good.
    Good to hear. (If you can share details, it might just help someone else who happens to wander into the monkey cage later.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have the same problem. I'm curious if there's been a solution found? I've tried both bands and I'm literally next to the router and TriCaster.

@geofffox Do you see the source name, but get no video/audio? Or is the source not detected at all?

Often wifi AP's enable IGMP snooping or completely disable multicast. NDI depends on MDNS/Avahi for discovery so it might be that discovery is failing because of this.

You could try adding the sending IP directly as a source and seeing if you then get any streams.

any development on this: I am at a loss. When I connect my laptop with NDI studio monitor to my router I get the NDI source but when I disconnect after some time it stops.

Could be an energy saver function on the wifi? I set all to max. Could be that when a room fills up with people the wifi signal gets deluted and eventually the wifi is pushed out (I noticed the NDI source getting slower and with more latency at the end).

I use the laptop to view a presenter screen at events as a flexible monitor where the presenter can chose pp or presenter view (Screen 1 or 2) from my laptop.

But this does not work if the monitor over NDI stops after some time (1-2 hours...)

tips and tricks please...
    Stefan

any development? breakthrough? the missing link tick box...?

We use a Ubiquiti AP Pro and it works pretty solidly. The other option is a point to point wireless which we've used with great success with NDI. These https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/produ...BoCn1gQAvD_BwE give range of hundreds of metres and work indoors and outdoors. You'll have no issues cutting through the wireless noise of people and the ones in the link are pre-configured linked pair so super easy to use. We use ours to send NDI video to a laptop plugged into an outdoor LED screen about 200m away and it works faultlessly. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nomski View Post
    We use a Ubiquiti AP Pro and it works pretty solidly. The other option is a point to point wireless which we've used with great success with NDI. These https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/produ...BoCn1gQAvD_BwE give range of hundreds of metres and work indoors and outdoors. You'll have no issues cutting through the wireless noise of people and the ones in the link are pre-configured linked pair so super easy to use. We use ours to send NDI video to a laptop plugged into an outdoor LED screen about 200m away and it works faultlessly. Good luck!
    But that is not wireless! I mean you still have to wire the accesspoint to the whatever you use. I want to use my laptop (actually a tabletable laptop, to use as a monitor over wifi with no wires what soever attached: no mains nor internet cable.

And it works: when I hook up my laptop/table with internet cable and wifi attached I get the NDI stream, when i disconnect the cable and go on on wifi it works. The problem is: it is not stable. I can not find the NDI source over wifi alone. I need to be on the same router with a cable and then make the conncetion, capture the NDI source and then disconnect and continue over wifi.

That is strange? It shoudl work just over wifi.

I am trying to find out what it is that makes this complicated - something to do with a tablet, or something else.

Anybody have the same issue? Solved it? is it in the router?

(PS I am testing now at home, same issue - )

The Ubiquiti AP Pro that we use is solid and a normal wifi access point (I only added the Nanos as an option) got to be worth getting your hands on a really decent wifi AP first to make sure it's not that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast