Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So Whos idea was it to remove Ambient Light?

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    You only ever had to turn it off for one light and it would be off for all lights, so you would never have had that problem. For those that want it, try parenting a light to the camera pointing straight ahead, maybe use a point light instead, turn off it's shadow casting properties and any fall-off. This could serve as an ambient light that effects everything. That's the best I got.
    thanks. as you can see, workarounds. we want to get away from workarounds in lightwave. personally i subscribe to the option so everyone’s happy and there is the ability to bend the rules.

Can you use the Standard Material and bump up the luminosity like in the good old days? you will need to do it per material, but when I test it it seems to work more or less like in prior versions. and it updates quickly like the old VPR.

just turn off GI and all that jazz, and use a standard material instead of Principled BSDF.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 01-03-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Can you use the Standard Material and bump up the luminosity like in the good old days? you will need to do it per material, but when I test it it seems to work more or less like in prior versions. and it updates quickly like the old VPR.

just turn off GI and all that jazz, and use a standard material instead of Principled BSDF.
    thanks, problem the is you are editing multiple materials and that is bad ux.

i think the solution, atm is to use 2015.3 or something else with an ambient setting.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 01-03-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Yes, one ambient setting is easier, but you can multi select all materials and adjust correct?
    I used both the ambient light and luminosity back in 2015.3 for everything from flat shading to cheapo “GI” both solutions had their disadvantages ambient is good because it is only one setting. Luminosity good because it could be seen in modeler and adjusted per surface which was helpful when it cane to this sort of fakery.

Quote Originally Posted by dnch View Post
    fog, image filter and brightening in post doesnt work the same way as ambient light, as it just pushes blacks up, but it doesnt reveal textures and details in shadow areas, i think the only way is to use suggested enviro light with no shadows or render in passes
    This is very true.
    For mograph and npr and other uses, ambient was pretty useful to avoid high render times because you can lower the bounce count and just use 5-10% ambient light that has no render hit and it affects global illumination to reveal dark areas and textures that can't be done in post. Its one of those tricks like putting reflection maps instead of relying on real raytrace reflections.
    Oldschool tricks I learned from the masters that are still useful today when you need the fastest turnaround time.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Yes, one ambient setting is easier, but you can multi select all materials and adjust correct?
    I used both the ambient light and luminosity back in 2015.3 for everything from flat shading to cheapo “GI” both solutions had their disadvantages ambient is good because it is only one setting. Luminosity good because it could be seen in modeler and adjusted per surface which was helpful when it cane to this sort of fakery.
    right, but you will struggle to simulate colored ambient light (which is useful for faking bounce light from colored floor for example)

You would have to add it to the material color instead. No it’s not as simple as before , but consolidating these separate values into one controller seems like something a plugin developer could whip up pretty easily.

But you are right, it would be more user friendly to add an ambient light that only affected the “standard” material.
    Ambient light and pbr materials seems like sort of a non-starter though.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 01-03-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    don’t you use modo? hey, i don’t use edge weighting much, let’s remove that next cos it’s not needed.
    Edge weighting is not a faked feature like ambient lighting was.

And if anyone should remove edge weighting, it should be lightwave since they dont fully work.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I consider them removing ambient light a feature. Good riddance.
    Thanks so much.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Edge weighting is not a faked feature like ambient lighting was.

And if anyone should remove edge weighting, it should be lightwave since they dont fully work.
    If I go after how many times I used the different features they could remove edge weighting before ambient light. Ambient light was very useful for setting up quick ambient light for GI renders and of course for ambient occlusion rendering/baking.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    Environment light with no shadows?
    Yep... this is the way to do it, enviro light, shadows off, affect specular off, visible to camera off. If you want flat colour ambient, then u disable sample backdrop, but otherwise, you can use a BG gradient or image, and have "ambient" based upon that, which you never could previous.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

I know this thread is old by this point but I wish the ambient light was there. I do not do complex scenes and it cut my time by sooo much but now I am kind of stuck trying to get lighting right. For example the scene I have used before I am struggling with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	139858

In the past I just had a distant light that shines through the windows and ambient light. I did not have to worry about a glare shining on the walls from inside lights. I used that lighting setup without any radiosity (tried radiosity once with it and just got lots of issues in 2015).

I am thinking of which lighting to work best in this scene? I have one point light right now but have tried a few other things. I tried making linear lights where the overhead lights are but ran into lots of glare on walls in all different places. I will keep testing to see what I can do that is basic and simple. This is about as realistic a scene as I get, lol.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by dnch View Post
    Because it was quite useful:/
    Indeed. User could set Ambient Light Intensity 100%, then the all Lights 0% (or disable them in Scene Editor), and have solid color pass..

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    the message that is coming across here is that removing things that are not mathematically correct or considered unneeded causes a lot of unforeseen problems for users. artists use the tools in unorthodox ways and this was one of lightwaves strengths. i think ambient should be added back in some form.

what i am seeing, reading the forums is that there are simple and fast solutions in lightwaves workflow that are being replaced with more complex workarounds. that’s making lightwave slower and less lighwavey. too much of that over time will reduce its edge.

we need the more advanced features and nodes but please consider the fast workflow too.
    the nodes button next to the simple solution was a great example in previous incarnations of offering both.

Well said. It would be a shame to see LightWave lose its quick work-flow advantage.

I'm still hoping to see the classic camera put back in there along with its low, medium, and high antialiasing settings. But that likely won't happen since (apparently) the new render engine can't do that.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Yea unless I am wrong...they removed the entire OLD rendering system which was fast and award winning! Love heading to PBR but having options is crucial. I use Octane, so it's not an issue, but I wouldn't have upgraded if I didn't use Octane because PBR initial release is slow on my old CPU's....my 1080ti's x 2 are very nice though

Ever use Max, you have scanline, Ray something, something else...etc. Options Not sure what that means during development but to axe it all might have been a mistake, unless it's coming back in 2018.2 better. *shrug*

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast