Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Whos idea was it to remove Ambient Light?

So Whos idea was it to remove Ambient Light?

Because it was quite useful:/

You can simply put a bit of illumination on the material you use to achieve the same result. I think they had to because they changed how the rendering engine is supposed to behave. I think it is OK really.. there are many things we need to do differently (and sometimes require more work) now.

well.. illumination doesnt help if you need colored ambient light .. also if you have hundreds of surfaces

It's for the best. Good decision. At some point I hope they remove all the lights on a "clear scene". Maybe in 2019.

I dont mind it being turned off on default scene, but to remove it absolutely..

Hmm, I think they need a light or the rendering engine would explode That said, I kind of agree on that. It is a bit annoying that I can't have an entirely clear scene, and add what I want from that. But it isn't a showstopper either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dnch View Post
    well.. illumination doesnt help if you need colored ambient light .. also if you have hundreds of surfaces
    Yeah I know.. but regardless. I'm actually happy they did what they did. Even if it means more work in that regard

Environment light with no shadows?
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Turn on a little fog?

- - - Updated - - -

Turn on a little fog? Adjust the blackness level?

i used ambient a lot for npr stuff. not good.

I usually turned ambient lighting down to two or zero for most of my rendering for my clients. Doing this I was able to more accurately get colors for my clients machinery for which I had to use stl models of for simulations. I relied on the lighting itself to get proper levels.

Image Processing -> Image Filter?

Perhaps someone could provide a script to simulate the effect of "Ambient Light".

Just an idea ... personally I didn't use it, so no loss for me.

Follow Corona render's lead where all tone-mapping and image processing filters are visible in the VPR. This will massively make up for no ambient lighting, which is essentially just brightening the rendered image.

It is surprising it is not in 2018 already.
    Last edited by Chris S. (Fez); 01-02-2018 at 03:33 PM.

I only really used ambient for baking clean unlit UV maps with the surface baking camera. Setting the light to 0% and ambient to 100% so remove all shading.

Can do it now by other means but all requiring more work than the ambient trick.
    uh wha?

I used it.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

the message that is coming across here is that removing things that are not mathematically correct or considered unneeded causes a lot of unforeseen problems for users. artists use the tools in unorthodox ways and this was one of lightwaves strengths. i think ambient should be added back in some form.

what i am seeing, reading the forums is that there are simple and fast solutions in lightwaves workflow that are being replaced with more complex workarounds. that’s making lightwave slower and less lighwavey. too much of that over time will reduce its edge.

we need the more advanced features and nodes but please consider the fast workflow too.
    the nodes button next to the simple solution was a great example in previous incarnations of offering both.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 01-02-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast