Thread: Enable Noise Filtering - how to?

Enable Noise Filtering - how to?

It says preform a render to preview, but then I render and everything goes away. Any ideas on how to use this? Getting some noisy renders in stock 2018. Also happy new year!

Same question here too. The only way I've been able to clean up renders is to crank up the Maximum Samples. So yeah - how does all this stuff work?

Traitor
    In the 'render properties' window there's a button to 'Enable Noise Filter' then and button for 'Noise Filtering Options'.
    If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out - T.Minchin

Yeah, I see those there. I have it checked and don't notice a difference on my renders. Also I'll render an image and it still says I need to render to preview noise reduction.

Enable in Render Properties AND in the output Buffers
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Thanks Matt - from a UX standpoint I thought I was activating it from that first checkbox. I would have never thought to check output buffers. Just user feedback from a hobbyist though. Played with it all night, feels pretty solid. Congrats on the release!

Thanks figured it out. Now just need to figure out the setting so I don't lose all my detail.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Enable in Render Properties AND in the output Buffers
    As a UX designer, without your LW hat on, tell me, does that really make sense?
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

If you look at the dox, the way it's structured, yeah, it begrudgingly does make a boatload of sense.

As it is Noise reduction PER buffer, turn on what you need and leave off what you don't. More a learning curve than a UI problem, I see.
    Robert

So why not have the Output Buffers window open when you turn it on? That way it's completely obvious...
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

To keep a global toggle, in order to make testing faster...?
    I hear your concern, and somewhat agree with you. Had I not looked at the docs, I would probably be as irked.

But I did and the way it is setup is cumbersome but logical. Only thing I need is a save function for keeping all the buffers I want on; or, as I surmise you have pondered, how can you see all those checks to turn them all on at once. Or quicker than one at a time.

Preset Shelves. About time to have them for Renders. And it makes sense given all these new check boxes.
    Robert

I've been saying for years we need a much better preset system.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Haha, what you have expressed a concern for may lead you through your wishes being answered.

Have you seen the presets system that Oliver Hotz has created in his ODTools? Have a look at any presets video in his toolset: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Ben, you know as well as I do that this stuff needs to be integral.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials