Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Known issues with LW2018?

Got it. thanks.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by luzlight View Post
    Just playing a bit with the new materials.

I am having this issue when placing a glass object behind a glass object.

Any ideas as to why this happens?.
    Usually ray recursion, which is kind of another way of saying ray depth, this is set at 6 by default in LW. The first ray hit counts as 1, then the refraction should be 2, the moving out of the glass 3 and so on along the path. If the ray recursion hits its limit, the usual result is black, since the ray "died" before it could find a light source. Up the ray recursion and see what happens.

I should add that the ray recursion limit at the top of the list should determine the maximum amount of recursion for any setting, so this should be set to the highest amount of recursion you want on any setting below in the list.

I've included an example here from my pretty feeble system https://youtu.be/kwPpoUyXLmM
    Last edited by Amurrell; 01-01-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    --Andrew
    Bono Animo Esto

Intel Core i5 3570k
    nVidia GTX 970
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    I'm a little concerned about the AA. I can't for the life of me get rid of it in bright contrast areas.
    Attachment 139028
    Check the Limit Dynamic Range option (Effects -> Processing).

Little video explainer from Rebel Hill:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wC8xRrDBA
    Last edited by OFF; 01-01-2018 at 11:42 PM.

I am not getting Poser Fusion for lightwave from Poser Pro11 to work in LW2018. I did report it both to Newtek and Smith-micro

My workaround is to use LW2015 to import a poser scene, and then highlight the obj and add MDD baker and bake out the MDD file and also save OBJ and LW into a folder and then import them to LW2018 and use MDD reader on the object and locate the related MDD file to the obj. It's a little more work, but all the texture and animation will be flawlessly imported, while LW2018 render time will more than make up the time for this lengthy process. Plus you can calculate bullet dynamic in the new version of LW and play with the new surface editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Which is what I did...
    Except I had to use good ol' shift-print screen to do it, then crop the image in GIMP. The feedback agent screen shot only works on the LW2018 window.
    If you're using Windows, try using the Snipping Tool. Just type "Snip" in the Start Menu and you'll find it very easily. It will let you drag and cut just the part of the screen you want.

Good Luck,

Quote Originally Posted by ruscular View Post
    I am not getting Poser Fusion for lightwave from Poser Pro11 to work in LW2018. I did report it both to Newtek and Smith-micro.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm definitely going to hold off for a while. PoserFusion is at the heart of my workflow so it's a none starter for me.
    Last edited by Oldcode; 01-02-2018 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm definitely going to hold off for a while. PoserFusion is at the heart of my workflow so it's a none starter for me.
    Someone on the Lightwave facebook group is claiming that Poser fusion does work in LW2018, I need to check and fix path.

OKay, one need to reinstall an update of Poser fusion to LW to make it work.
    Last edited by ruscular; 01-03-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    I'm a little concerned about the AA. I can't for the life of me get rid of it in bright contrast areas.
    Attachment 139028
    It might have something to do with a white value being beyond white and AA has trouble with that in many render engines.

It is explains it in this video just fast forward to about 10:30 in the timeline https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wC8xRrDBA
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by ruscular View Post
    Someone on the Lightwave facebook group is claiming that Poser fusion does work in LW2018, I need to check and fix path.

OKay, one need to reinstall an update of Poser fusion to LW to make it work.
    Posted this over on the Poser forum as well, but bears repeating here I suppose. Might require a new thread...

In LW 2015.3, if I try to import a Poser 2014 PZ3 file and use the PzrForLw2016.p plug, I initially get the usual mesh options message, but then get an error message that the scene needs need a newer version of Lightwave. If I switch back to the PzrForLw10.p version, it imports fine w/o errors.

Layout won't allow me to have both plugs installed at the same time though.

If I try to import a Poser 11.1 pz3 file, it eventually requests the file Construct.obz which exists in \Poser 11 Content\Runtime\Geometries\Primitives\Construct.ob z but I have to go looking for it.

But, then after browsing & selecting that, it then asks for areaLite.obj which can't be found anywhere on the system, so I click Cancel and it proceeds.

It then asks for Construct.pmd which I find in \Poser 11 Content\Runtime\Libraries\Props\Primitives\Constru ct.pmd and again have to go find it. I use a search tool though so can just copy & paste the path into LW requestor.

It then tells me again that I need a newer version of Lightwave.

Switching back to the PzrForLw10.p version, and try a Poser 11.1 pz3 file, "D:\Poser 11 Content" and loading EmotiOne.pz3, it again asks for the Construct.obz, areaLite.obj then Construct.pmd and make the same selection choices, but does open the scene.

Ok, so for me, I don't like having multiple versions of software to deal with. I uninstall old and wipe regedit keys et al and then install newer versions. Mind you, I was holding off everything LW related until this LW2018 came out, so, I didn't have a lot of 3rd party plug-ins etc to deal with or config files or anything. I mostly had a few free plugins for Modeler and RHiggit plugin for Layout.

So, I upgraded to Poser 11.1 recently from PP2012. Unistalled PP2012 and et al. Installed PP11.1 and installed PFusion in LW2015.3 and Add Plugins, choose PzrForLW10. All worked. I figured PzrFor2016 was for what would be LW2018 eventually.
    When I upgraded to LW2018, I uninstalled LW2015.3 et al and then installed LW2018. I then reran Poser Fusion install for Lightwave from the Download Manager.

First, I got a message that Lightwave couldn't be found and if I wanted to find it manually. Yes, I did. So, locate Lightwave. Download Manager continued.
    Open LW, Add plug-ins, find PzrForLW2016.p plugin (both plugins were in folder) and then added. Opened .pz3 file saved out from PP11.1 and it works. No, construct.obz or other to find.
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

i made a mistake and can't work out how to delete this, sorry
    Last edited by dyls_E; 01-03-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: made a mistake and couldn't work out how to delete

If you use the PoserFusion installer, the plugin gets installed in bin/plugins, and that doesn't seem to work with LW 2018 (used to work with 2015.3). If you move the plugin to support/plugins instead (where the other plugins are), Poser scene seems to import and work fine. Not sure about other issues relating to multiple versions, etc. but this simple workaround appears to get things going on Windows at least.

Not really an 'issue', just something I noticed recently:

In LightWave 2015.3 and earlier, I could have the timeline default start at frame 0 and the render default start at frame 1. This isn't possible with the new preferences in LightWave 2018--it will always make both settings 0 or 1 but not allow 0/1 as a default. I'm not sure why this was changed since it's always been convenient to access frame 0 for setup and have LightWave always default to render frame 1 as the first frame. Anyway...

Support tells me that I should just use the default.lws file to get what I want. Unfortunately, I could not get this to work at all with LightWave 2018.

I eventually figured out what was wrong on my system: Windows was seeing the default.lws file as a 2015.3 file, even though it was generated by LightWave 2018. This prevented 2018 from loading the preferred settings from the file.

After I re-associated the file to LightWave 2018 in Windows, LightWave 2018 now loads my preferred settings on launch.

I'm guessing when I installed LightWave 2018, I denied the file re-association step because I was still doing a lot of work in 2015.3. Now I'm wondering if LightWave 2015.3 will have issues with default.lws. Not that I care about that since 2015.3 was doing what I want without the default.lws file. (Out of curiosity, I may test this tonight.)

Anyway, I just thought I should mention this in case anybody else wants the 0/1 default setup for LightWave 2018. Since 2018 is such a great departure from 'classic' LightWave, I imagine other upgrading users may also deny the 2018 file association...just be aware that doing so breaks the use of default.lws in this release.

Hope this helps.

Note: If you've never used default.lws, here are the rules:

1. File must be saved in the Scene folder of the current Content Directory. You only need 1 file for the project at the root of the Scene folder, but this also means you need a copy this file in every project's CD Scene folder. The idea is that each project can have it's own unique defaults this way.

2. Using the Save Default Scene command should save the file to the correct folder.

3. Don't change the letter casing. 'default.lws' is what Lightwave expects.

4. If the settings don't load, check the file association.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhar View Post
    If you use the PoserFusion installer, the plugin gets installed in bin/plugins, and that doesn't seem to work with LW 2018 (used to work with 2015.3). If you move the plugin to support/plugins instead (where the other plugins are), Poser scene seems to import and work fine. Not sure about other issues relating to multiple versions, etc. but this simple workaround appears to get things going on Windows at least.
    I did get it working by reinstalling with the smithmicro download manager and fix the path to LW2018

Got it working great!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post

After I re-associated the file to LightWave 2018 in Windows, LightWave 2018 now loads my preferred settings on launch.

I'm guessing when I installed LightWave 2018, I denied the file re-association step because I was still doing a lot of work in 2015.3. Now I'm wondering if LightWave 2015.3 will have issues with default.lws. Not that I care about that since 2015.3 was doing what I want without the default.lws file. (Out of curiosity, I may test this tonight.)
    Thought you were on to something there, but Layout 2015.3 STILL refuses to save all settings; in particular is the Auto Key: All Channels. Actually, this seems to be the only option that won't set. I'd like it to default to Modified, as it does in 11.62, but nope.

The .lws association was set to 3D Browser, but changing that to Layout 2015 didn't make a difference. Oh well. Will only have to deal with this a little while longer. Maybe I'll try making my own "default" with different name & set things up to always open that instead. Hmmm...

Years ago, I ran into problems with default.lws not being referenced...not sure what version that was (maybe 9.x or 10?) but there's a tread about it. Now I wonder if changing the file assocation would have fixed that issue back then. (I'm not going to check. I'm not that curious.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast