Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Known issues with LW2018?

Known issues with LW2018?

Is there a "Known Issues" document for LW2018? It would be nice to know what they are before I go off filling out bug reports. I'm finding a number of them.

TrueArt Support
    LW 2018.0 has no Spot Info node. It has been removed and replaced by Input node.

But if you add Compound node, add Global Materials node, you won't see Input node anymore..
    And you won't be able to use inputs provided by Input node such as World Position, Ray Origin, Ray Direction etc.

Global Materials 2018
    http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu
    has included Global Input node which is filling this gap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Virtual Room LW 2018 Global Materials 2018.png 
Views:	783 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	139005

Name:	LW 2018 Compound node.png 
Views:	782 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	139004

TrueArt Support
    Imagine you want to make fake depth pass inside of Compound node,
    or inside of Global Materials,
    and there is no access to Spot Info, nor Input nodes..
    It's nearly impossible!

That's why Global Materials 2018 has custom Global Input which is exposing these data for user..

Name:	LW 2018 GM 2018 Depth.png 
Views:	740 
Size:	469.7 KB 
ID:	139007

I've already encountered one issue so far. I've just spent the last hour customising things to look like the 9.6 colours so I really haven't spent time doing any proper testing yet.

OK, in Modeler, I just created a simple cube and subdivided it. I wanted the legacy OpenGL shading mode so I set that in the display options. I also set the material of the box to the standard material. The diffuse is 100% and the colour is white. However, the object is still a middle dark grey! Obviously, there would be some shading to make it look greyer but I tried the same thing in 9.6 and it looked like it should have.

It seems like a trivial sort of issue but, honestly, something this simple shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Revanto View Post
    Obviously, there would be some shading to make it look greyer but I tried the same thing in 9.6 and it looked like it should have.
    Color Space? Press 'o', 3rd tab, Quick Preset > sRGB..

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Color Space? Press 'o', 3rd tab, Quick Preset > sRGB..
    Yep, that fixed the problem. Never worked in sRGB before...

Thanks!

I just tried something in Layout and loaded up an .exr image to try out the reflections. I went to the Image Editor and when I clicked on the exr file, LW crashed.

Rev.
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

Reading what Sensei wrote I think there should be a section about what's been removed, and where possible what the alternatives are.
    Spot info was an important concept and an important node so if it's gone how do we achieve things that were previously done with it ?

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    Spot info was an important concept and an important node so if it's gone how do we achieve things that were previously done with it ?
    Global Materials 2018...

It has new node called "Global Input", which is copy of LW's Input node. See screen-shots above.

Ok just selected a '2015' scene to open, just to see how it looks and got the following....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldScene.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	139016
    Don't know whether I can close the box without selecting anything and NOT lose file info?
    I assume a safe copy is a backup?

Edit: I moved the project folder before clicking the box, so LW couldn't see the folder and nothing would be changed.
    Will be more careful now with existing scenes
    Last edited by Markc; 01-01-2018 at 05:26 AM.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

They probably need to update the online docs too (still would like an offline docs though. I don't always have internet) since I see some buttons/options not available when following the docs. Which leads me to think that some of them are done using an earlier build.

One thing I am curious about is why they removed the noise control for the image output. I now see banding all the time, where I didn't before. I can solve it fine.. but looking at banding while working is quite annoying. I don't have a monitor that goes beyond 32bit after all.

Also, no build for Octane yet for 2018. I posted a question about it on their forum, so we'll see when Juanjgon have the time (because the current version crashes on my machine in 2018)
    I'm sure there is a alpha build somewhere because we've seen octane posts already.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-01-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Global Materials 2018...

It has new node called "Global Input", which is copy of LW's Input node. See screen-shots above.
    I misunderstood what you wrote and had to check it out for myself.
    So the new INPUT node replaces the old spot info node it seems BUT with the caveat that it's not accessible inside a compound node.
    Not unless one gets Global Materials, which exposes Global Input.

Seems like I need to explore this version a bit more ...

Renderer seems pretty good, and quite solid as well. No crashes yet. Not even while swapping out scenes while in VPR, which was a constant cause of crashes 2105.3. For me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Also, no build for Octane yet for 2018. I posted a question about it on their forum, so we'll see when Juanjgon have the time (because the current version crashes on my machine in 2018)
    I'm sure there is a alpha build somewhere because we've seen octane posts already.
    Yeah that's quite an important point for a few of us here I imagine.
    While the new renderer is quite good and fast, kudos to LW3DG, it's not Octane.

I'm also curious as to why we need to activate legacy in order to use voxels? But I'm hoping they're working on addressing that for the next release. Even though I haven't tried.. I'm guessing having that active causes limitations to be active too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast