Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: LW 2018 Comments/Opinions

Orbiting millions of polygons in modeler 2018 is crazy fast on Radeon Pro WX compared to 2015.3. It is like 10x speed.

Because I use Octane I am finding it really difficult to find a good enough reason to upgrade It's shame because I was really looking forward to the new version. But the improvements that have been added just don't benefit me at all. At the moment I cannot justify upgrading to it just to get the cheaper upgrade price. If it had a lot of modeler improvements, or if the CC had been fixed then I may have considered it. It does seem great though for those who use the native renderer, so I do hope they all enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Quite shocked at the Mac unzip debacle.
    Even more shocked that if you look at the "try" tab on the lightwave3d page, there's a link to two intro videos for layout and modeller. That would ordinarily be good, but the links are to videos made in 2012! Yes, they are five years old and as blurred as can be.

If I visit a site and the product details hark back more than a couple of years, I just assume it's a dead product.

Newtek are getting real lazy - a new release with a download that doesn't work and promotional material of poor quality and five years old. That won't inspire confidence for new or old customers.

[ Keka worked for me too ]
    Yeah I thought that was bad about the videos too. It does come across as unprofessional. Strange.

For leaves, just try PBSDF and add Thin in the Surface Editor...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    How does the Mac download not work on a default MacOS install? That one seems like a really silly thing to slip past testing, especially in the age of virtual machines. Just have a clean install of supported OS version to test it on.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

there is no sanctuary....
    So far my first impression is lots to learn, more options all good news. Performance with VPR, abysmal. Tried turning off gi and a few other options but it still is a magnitude slower, even using new objects and shading system.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.1 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by gclayton View Post
    Anyone installed the MacOS trial yet? I downloaded the trial but installer says it is damaged and will not run.

I tried downloading multiple times and it still will not run, so it looks like MacOS trial is corrupt.
    I had the same thing happen. I tried Stuffit Expander instead of the Mac "Archive Utility" expander and it worked fine.
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gamedesign1 View Post
    Because I use Octane I am finding it really difficult to find a good enough reason to upgrade It's shame because I was really looking forward to the new version. But the improvements that have been added just don't benefit me at all. At the moment I cannot justify upgrading to it just to get the cheaper upgrade price. If it had a lot of modeler improvements, or if the CC had been fixed then I may have considered it. It does seem great though for those who use the native renderer, so I do hope they all enjoy it
    For an Octane user i also have big doubts about it.. Yes new geo engine is handling more polies . new shaders are more than cool!.. I got it but in the world of Redshift or Octane .. or other hybrid renderers what this new renderer can offer. May be i am missing something.. I hope somebody who earns his/her life from Octane LW combo can answer me.. and i am not ready to bury my precious 32 bit plugins

Poser Pro seems to be working fine (tried with my 2012 version). Only, the Poser Pro Fusion installer adds the plugin under bin/plugins, and it used to be picked up (e.g., in 2015.3), but 2018 doesn't seem to look at that folder anymore. So, moving the PzForLW plugin folder to support/plugins will make it work.

I'm having difficulties with Vue xStream however.

I haven't had much time to play around with 2018 yet but I'm bummed that Final Gather GI is gone now. I always used Final Gather rather than Monte Carlo for GI since I could always get faster results with it that were almost as good as Monte Carlo. I will have to spend some time with Interpolated Monte Carlo to see if I can get it to render at a decent enough speed for the work I do.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 01-01-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Volumetrics still does not work with instances. Is this something that is very hard to implement?

Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    Where the heck is Render-Q ???
    It's there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I haven't had much time to play around with 2018 yet but I'm bummed that Final Gather GI is gone now. I always used Final Gather rather than Monte Carlo for GI since I could always get faster results with it that were almost as good as Monte Carlo. I will have to spend some time with Interpolated Monte Carlo to see if I can get it to render at a decent enough speed for the work I do.
    please share your findings as you render out scenes...

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    Volumetrics still does not work with instances. Is this something that is very hard to implement?
    Well..what do you intend to instance with volumetric items? I do not see any difference as to just cloning the volumetric items..as I understand it, instances is volumetric items..so there would be no point.

Nothing looks right on 4K under windows 10. The -f command for increasing the font size that worked in 2015.3, screws up the interface. I can't even get It look right, eyes hurtings as its all to small. Can't believe no interface scaling..

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast