Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LW 2018 Comments/Opinions

LW 2018 Comments/Opinions

Guys, I thought I'd open a thread for feedback from folks who are trying 2018. Let me start with: how does the metallic work? I'm trying to control tint with 100% metallic, and no matter what I do, it colors it with the "color" setting. Shouldn't PBR allow 100% metallic to render without any diffuse color?

Also, I'm not able to resize the object properties window.

I'm liking the changes in UI that I'm seeing so far!

Anyone installed the MacOS trial yet? I downloaded the trial but installer says it is damaged and will not run.

I tried downloading multiple times and it still will not run, so it looks like MacOS trial is corrupt.

Is it possible to change viewport orbit from turntable to trackball in modeler?

Yes, multiple people are reporting of issues with the file. Really sorry about, must be frustrating, hope they fix it quickly. I didn't have any issues on Windows.

BTW, WRT to my question above, here are my settings and render. Messing with Specular and Specular Tint isn't making a difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	352 
Size:	471.4 KB 
ID:	138998

Quote Originally Posted by jperk View Post
    Is it possible to change viewport orbit from turntable to trackball in modeler?
    AFAIK it isn't something that has been implemented i LW2018 so the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    AFAIK it isn't something that has been implemented i LW2018 so the answer is no.
    thanks no biggie

My first impressions...
    Gonna take some getting used to. Some things have moved around. I can see tutorials on how to optimize your render options for speed.
    FiberFX is both familiar, and yet, not. As I opened, gonna take some getting used to.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

First crash rendering two balls and a plane. Awesome!

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekhar View Post
    how does the metallic work? I'm trying to control tint with 100% metallic, and no matter what I do, it colors it with the "color" setting. Shouldn't PBR allow 100% metallic to render without any diffuse color?
    Metallic does have no diffuse colour... but that's not the same as having no specular colour...

See here...

LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

In Layout, I'm able to select objects, camera, and lights. But unable to move or scale (respectively) selected items, also can't move the timeline with the mouse.

Win 10
    Daniel Kaiser

"A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and never acceptable." Robert Fripp

AMD Phenom II x6 3.2
    Win 7 Pro x64
    8gig Ram
    Nvidia 640 GT 2Gb
    LW 11 x64

Reflections from a background image do not show in the Principled shader until you switch the shading model from photoreal to cell and then back to photoreal???

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Metallic does have no diffuse colour... but that's not the same as having no specular colour...

See here...

Thanks, but as I said changing the Specular and Specular Tint isn't making any difference. My understanding of PBR was that the Metalling (AKA Specular, if you will) has no diffuse color but can be assigned a tint (which could be same as the diffuse color or different, but controllable regardless). E.g., a gold plate in a green ambient lighting should reflect green but have a gold tint. First of all, I see a Specular AND a Metallic setting here, which itself is confusing. But more importantly, once you set Metallic as 100%, setting Specular to 0% or 100% (or changing the Specular Tint %) has no real effect on the render that I see, which is what I'm trying to understand.

I see the same issue (if it is really an issue or something I'm missing here) in your video at 5:55, where nothing really changed when you reduced the Specular Tint to 0%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danielkaiser View Post
    In Layout, I'm able to select objects, camera, and lights. But unable to move or scale (respectively) selected items, also can't move the timeline with the mouse.

Win 10
    I had the same issue till I realized I was using tablet whereas the input was set to mouse. If you're using mouse, I'd double check it's set to mouse in options.

...And I think I have a very minor bug: Image reconstruction filter on the render display viewport appears to be stuck on classic, even though I've gone into render buffer panels and set "Mitchell" on the two default render buffers.

Never mind, it appears to have unstuck itself.
    Last edited by Kryslin; 12-31-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post

See here...

Thanks for that very helpful simplification of the shader process. Probably saved me several weeks (at least) of testing things out by putting it all into a much more focused perspective which I find really easy to grasp. As always, your videos have a wealth of information which rewards repeated viewing.
    A very happy new year to you, and everyone as well.

I'm confused with the noise...looks like it's a lot more nuanced now in 2018 (and less brute force, so I guess that's good). But, I just can't get rid of noise in this simple setup with a ball and only an image environment (no light). The alpha map is pristine, so per the docs it's not the Alpha noise and likely Diffuse Indirect, but increasing camera samples (and reducing threshold) isn't helping. Looks like it's going to take a little time getting used to the workflow, hopefully not too much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	177 
Size:	828.4 KB 
ID:	139002

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast