Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: LW 2018 Comments/Opinions

the 2018 doesn't have the same Reflection Blur, add more RefBlur, and render-time in 2018 should go up.

AntiAliasing also need to be increased in 2018 to match (or add more Gi Rays, or both)

render quality (versus speed) should be better in 2018 though.
    Last edited by erikals; 01-04-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    the 2018 doesn't have the same Reflection Blur, add more RefBlur, and render-time in 2018 should go up.

AntiAliasing also need to be increased in 2018 to match (or add more Gi Rays, or both)

render quality (versus speed) should be better in 2018 though.
    Hi erikals. I know you like test that stuff so maybe you can do video ;] In tests LW 2018 I saw that in Modeler, Expand selection is much faster than in 2015.3.

nice, i'll give it a test, see what happens
    thanks for suggestion.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Hmm, it turns out that if I work in the Principled Material mode - then I can not see the texture on my models? Since textures assigned through nodes are not displayed in OGL.

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    Hmm, it turns out that if I work in the Principled Material mode - then I can not see the texture on my models? Since textures assigned through nodes are not displayed in OGL.
    What, in 2018? of course they should be (with the exception of Skin). If you can't see a texture, try using a second material going into the OGL Material input to test.
    Here is Principled in OGLClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Princip.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	139164
    Last edited by DogBoy; 01-04-2018 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Less snark.
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhar View Post
    It's a bit harsh and unfair to judge 2018 based on modeler as virtually all material (i.e., important) changes are in layout - hope you get to check it out, there is a lot of discussion and many pointers here on the new (and exciting to many of us) stuff.
    Well, that's my whole point - all the new stuff is basically about rendering which wasn't the main area of concern with LW to begin with.
    Since the update to LW 6.0 from 5.6, rendering was one of the best parts of LW and back then actually DID raise some brows in the industry (HDRI! WOW!). So now the gap between the (capable) renderer and the absurdly outdated and unconnected (in a lot of ways) modeller opens up even more.
    If I would be able to see this as a clear strategy towards a _completely_ overhauled LW in any reasonable timeframe, I'd be happy to support it, even if I wouldn't personally use it in it's current state (I actually did that for a long time since I switched to XSI in 2004 for my main 3D app). But since there seems to be no clear vision whatsoever (or at least none that would be shared with the users) I fail to see why I should support this dabbling about anymore.

I mean seriously: Good Renderers are out there like stars in the Milky Way. You can buy them and plug them into whatever 3D app you like if you use one of the more used ones. What the 3D market needs the least is _another_ renderer that does the same old PBR stuff like everybody else, especially on the CPU but has no up to date infrastructure behind it to make it stand up in the current market as a complete solution to creating beautiful and innovative work from scratch in an up to date workflow.

All the examples I've seen so far are somewhere between cheap looking crap and stuff I was able to do years ago somewhere else already. I haven't seen a single image that would make me go "wow" or make me want to try LW if I wouldn't be a user already.
    The cell shaded stuff looks like something from the 90ies, even game engines do that better these days.
    In realtime.

There was a time when Maya users exported to LW to render. But today I can't see more than maybe a handful of diehards doing anything like that and go to the trouble of dealing with the completely outdated way of handling objects and scenes in LW. So I fail to see who is supposed to be the target audience for this software.
    If you want to save money, use Blender, it has come a long way and also has a very capable renderer, is in constant open development and does modelling much better than LW.
    If you want to work in the industry, use anything _but_ LW.

And instead of running an open beta with good communications with the userbase it looks as if betatesting only just began and involves advance payment...

This whole company seems to be as stuck in the last century as the software.

This may become the first time since LW 5.6 where I won't update.
    I just can't see this going anywhere - and I even kept faith after the Core debacle...

And if 2018 breaks backwards compatibility with existing scenes, that would make it even more useless to me (I will have to do more testing to see how it holds up there).

And believe me, I'm very very restrained in my posts here, I would have much harsher words for this mess if the people doing it would sit in front of me (not the individual programmers doing their fine work, but the people in "management" or whatever we are supposed to call it).

This endless and slow way of dying makes me very very sad for LW, which once was at the forefront of innovation and now feels like a long-dead zombie dragging along it's brittle bones from sheer lack of being able to die in peace and dignity.

Cheers,

Tom

One of my tests. Rendered in full HD. Standard materials. Changes I made only in lighting, described lower.
    Image in attachment is especially low res.

LW 2015.3 - 1m 37s
    Ambient Intensity -40%
    GI Intensity 85%

LW 2018 - 3m 9 s
    No Ambient Light (darker areas)
    GI Intensity 120% (almost the same result brightness like in 2015.3)

For example when I must render 10 throws to print on A3, in big resolutions, it will be difference in hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L test.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	354.2 KB 
ID:	139167  
    Last edited by MarcusM; 01-04-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    One of my tests. Rendered in full HD. Standard materials. Changes I made only in lighting, described lower.

LW 2015.3 - 1m 37s
    Ambient Intensity -40%
    GI Intensity 85%

LW 2018 - 3m 9 s

For example when I must render 10 throws to print on A3, in big resolutions, it will be difference in hours.
    Well, they did say that the standard material in 2018 is going to be slower.. so you'll have to do a convert. Even then, from what I think I understand...it'll be slower. Did you try converting it to the new Principled shader?

Quote Originally Posted by mummyman View Post
    Well, they did say that the standard material in 2018 is going to be slower.. so you'll have to do a convert. Even then, from what I think I understand...it'll be slower. Did you try converting it to the new Principled shader?

My goal was the same result and test 1 to 1. I will not convert this propably in near future. There is to many different materials and models im using also for different things etc.

Just showing my results. BTW simplest way to fake Ambient light?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post

LW 2015.3 - 1m 37s
    Ambient Intensity -40%
    GI Intensity 85%

LW 2018 - 3m 9 s

Lw 2018 looks dimmer, duller. Probably fake it with environment light with no shadows.
    People really must start from nearly scratch with lw 2018 shading and surfacing. No way around it.

Did you see Andrew Comb's video post about using the environment light? I know it's not the same.. but maybe you can do a workaround somehow. I'm planning on keeping certain projects in 2015 until I get up to speed and comfortable using 2018 for a full-feature project. Gonna be a big learning curve!

Spherical reflection image seam cannot be animated anymore. Envelope button is missing. Why?

Hi,

I had the same pb.
    I have found a workaround solution : download the file in a windows system and execute it in your Mac. It works fine

I have desire to report as a bug missing Use Texture and Remove Texture buttons in Texture Editor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Report every bug. Have you reported the Performance Camera?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I see a lot of concerns about render times, usually with imported 2015 scenes.

Which of the included Content scenes show off the speed of the new render engine, as a contrast to un-tweeked legacy scenes?

Yes i did report the bug
    and it was the performance camera crashing scene, all other camera's work fine

yup
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptor®300gig

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast