Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: LW 2018 Comments/Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    Win7, same workstation

Radeon Pro and Quadro
    Hi not sure if this was answered or not but do you have multi-texturing checked on, because this looks exactly like what I have when I have multi texturing checked off

Hope this helps

Update: Never mind just saw in your picture you did have it checked on

Thanks
    Jason
    Last edited by jboudreau; 01-11-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    I expect that with the new version, companies like Maxwell's, Indigo's or Redshift's renders gets interested in developing a plugin. If not, it is better to negotiate with AMD to integrate Prorender. Although I've tried to work with it and blender on every version they released without success because of the lot of bugs and crashes. Also the lack of response from the Dev team when reporting bugs.

Regards
    Not sure why everyone is hyped on Prorender...I mean the more the merrier....I would rather have the option to use it and like to see it succeed.
    I just have barely seen any images that justify the hype...even on their product page. Really they look about the same as UE4

That coupled with the fact that Nvidia has had optix and intel embree for ages now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    But OK then.. I'll bite. Lightwave was used in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
    Not meaning to be argumentative at all....but do you have a source for that? Be curious to see what it was used for.

Again.. it wasn't the point. And why did you yourself bring LOTR up as an example then?

But OK then.. I'll bite. Lightwave was used in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
    What kind of renderer do you think they used on AAA movies like that? Prman, arnold, mantra, custom renderers, which I"m sure are a bit slow but can crunch huge data sets. But these types of studios don't care about render time so much because they have huge renderfarms. 20 hours per frame is fine for them.
    That's not lightwave's market. Lightwave's market is freelance and medium sized studios that need speed for tight deadlines. They're not making the next LOTR.
    Reason why redshift, octane are so popular in the freelance and medium sized studios market. Its fast. It will be hard to make them switch to lightwave 2018 renderer.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    What kind of renderer do you think they used on AAA movies like that? Prman, arnold, mantra, custom renderers, which I"m sure are a bit slow but can crunch huge data sets. But these types of studios don't care about render time so much because they have huge renderfarms. 20 hours per frame is fine for them.
    That's not lightwave's market. Lightwave's market is freelance and medium sized studios that need speed for tight deadlines. They're not making the next LOTR.
    Reason why redshift, octane are so popular in the freelance and medium sized studios market. Its fast. It will be hard to make them switch to lightwave 2018 renderer.
    I wouldn't assume what works, or is used for that matter. When they do mention what they use, it is because they want to. Most of the time you don't get to know how they use their tools, or even what they use, and when.

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    Not sure why everyone is hyped on Prorender...I mean the more the merrier....I would rather have the option to use it and like to see it succeed.
    I just have barely seen any images that justify the hype...even on their product page. Really they look about the same as UE4

That coupled with the fact that Nvidia has had optix and intel embree for ages now.

- - - Updated - - -

Not meaning to be argumentative at all....but do you have a source for that? Be curious to see what it was used for.
    Long time since I heard about it.. I believe it was previs. But then they also used Unreal Engine 4 if I'm not mistaken, mainly for the director to plan shots. But the thing is there is no clear answer. Because you might see something on a computer screen in the movie, and that might be one tool. You may see BB8 for instance, and a part of the robot is rendered in another tool, despite the rest being done in another one. Of even use puppeteers on a live model, that they later mask in post.. and so on. Its a a puzzle of material from all kinds of sources. The only thing I do know is that they used it. But if I find a video, photo etc.. I'll post it.

I see...possibly in previz. Not needing a pic or video....just a source, of any kind.

As far as Unreal...it was used on Rogue 1 for previz and actually a few shots as final render and were used in the release.

I see...possibly in previz. Not needing a pic or video....just a source, of any kind.

As far as Unreal...it was used on Rogue 1 for previz and actually a few shots as final render and were used in the release.
    Yeah, that's right... the robot in the movie was all UE4 too I think.

There is a list of movies where Lightwave was used too here: https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/List...d_LightWave_3D
    But it only lists those that are known..
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-11-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Ya....not so sure.

Lightwave did a newsletter on Ghostlight...a talented duo of LW users.
    The newsletter states that they collaborated on The Force Awakens, and their tool of choice was LW.

That conflated it a bit...as they were on camera and lens tech on the film and had zero VFX credits for it on IMDB or their own website.

This is how rumors start....then somebody lists it on a wiki page. If that’s all we got to go on...then I definitely wouldn’t bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seeing jaggies all over the place, even with simple procedural textures (like checkerboard) driving pBSDF color on a flat surface (ground plane) viewed by tilted camera. I see no easy way to fix, upping samples doesn't seem to resolve.

I'm actually a bit shocked how obvious the jaggies are in both VPR and Final Render as well -- even many of the doc and example images shown have visible jaggies, which makes me wonder if there's a general AA problem with the new engine?

Can someone please briefly describe what the workflow is to boost AA in order to resolve visible texture aliasing with simple procedural textures?

Scene attached:
    Attachment 139239
    Rendered your scene, No jaggies here either, can you show a better example if possible?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    I'm going dyslexic trying to see the "jaggies" in this image. Is it just me? I have noticed AA issues myself, but I don't see it in the checker board image, unless I set the display to 200%, but you expect to see pixelization doing that.
    yeah I don't see it either
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I have had some time to do some playing around with the new render engine and most everything seems to be looking good and working good so far except for the fact that all scenes I have tested take much longer to render in 2018 vs 2015 and in most cases the render times are at least doubled what they are in 2015 with the same settings. I would be willing to overlook this and accept it if there was a good trade off for quality but there isn't any. I really don't think this has anything to do with PBR either. This is the same as making my computer slower.

Why does 2018 take much longer to render than 2015 did?
    I said exactly the same thing and my findings came to the same conclusion, But I was told numerous times it's because it's a different rendering and lighting and material system so you can't compare. But I agree with you on this one, (I honestly think it has something to do with the new lights but I could be wrong just my opinion on the matter)
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Ya....not so sure.

Lightwave did a newsletter on Ghostlight...a talented duo of LW users.
    The newsletter states that they collaborated on The Force Awakens, and their tool of choice was LW.

That conflated it a bit...as they were on camera and lens tech on the film and had zero VFX credits for it on IMDB or their own website.

This is how rumors start....then somebody lists it on a wiki page. If that’s all we got to go on...then I definitely wouldn’t bet on it.
    I didn't hear it (or read it) from a newsletter. But like I said.. it was some time ago. But I will post it if I find it again. Either way.. I have no reason to distrust that list I posted either.. It would be quite odd, if *that* film would be the only one incorrectly listed.
    Don't say it couldn't happen, but I doubt it.

I didn't hear it (or read it) from a newsletter. But like I said.. it was some time ago. But I will post it if I find it again. Either way.. I have no reason to distrust that list I posted either.. It would be quite odd, if *that* film would be the only one incorrectly listed.
    Don't say it couldn't happen, but I doubt it.
    This newsletter...
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...ht-ghostlight/

Run by David and James Codeglia -- twin filmmakers whose clients have included Warner Brothers, Paramount, Disney, and LucasFilm -- Ghostlight is offering creative filmmaking services like Directing, Cinematography, Editing as well as creating Visual Effects for major studios and independents alike. With LightWave as their weapon of choice, this studio has collaborated on hundreds of projects of any type and budget, from independent productions to major studio projects like Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VIII. LightWave managed to play a key role in their VFX pipeline. Check out Ghostlight 's recent VFX works and get ready to be impressed by such unique talent!

But dont trust this, lightwave wasnīt and isnīt capable to contribute to major fx film, it may be fake news, or alternative facts...Not

More curious to if they ever got to try lightwave 2018 within any contribution towards these movies, guessing not though.

Production support listed in the credits....

Maybe catering rendered the peanut allergy sign in 2018....that qualifies no?

If I said that I created a few pieces of armor in LOTR a few years back with modeler, does that count as significant use of lightwave?
    Or I retopoed my zbrush sculpt of hulk in modo to use in Marvel, I'm sure that's significant production value. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    This newsletter...
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...ht-ghostlight/

Run by David and James Codeglia -- twin filmmakers whose clients have included Warner Brothers, Paramount, Disney, and LucasFilm -- Ghostlight is offering creative filmmaking services like Directing, Cinematography, Editing as well as creating Visual Effects for major studios and independents alike. With LightWave as their weapon of choice, this studio has collaborated on hundreds of projects of any type and budget, from independent productions to major studio projects like Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VIII. LightWave managed to play a key role in their VFX pipeline. Check out Ghostlight 's recent VFX works and get ready to be impressed by such unique talent!

But dont trust this, lightwave wasnīt and isnīt capable to contribute to major fx film, it may be fake news, or alternative facts...Not

More curious to if they ever got to try lightwave 2018 within any contribution towards these movies, guessing not though.
    Who knows... maybe they improved crew morale by rendering furries?

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast