Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Who's planning on upgrading to LW 2018?

Looking forward to the download. Out of curiosity how large is the download? we have to stream movies right now, so I have to wait.

Re: which of you are still using the dongle? plus/cons? I have mine since v7. Is there a way to switch from using the dongle to not using it (electronic licensing?).

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    Download is about 257mb. Content file is about 2gig.

Re: which of you are still using the dongle? plus/cons? I have mine since v7. Is there a way to switch from using the dongle to not using it (electronic licensing?).
    i seem to recall i just simply removed the dongle (?) try it.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Downloading as we speak! Happy New Year to me!

And to you, AnimeJoex!!

Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    Watching JohnnyOmaha play with it right now while dining... GO JOHNNY!

Steve

Johnny's cracking me up!
    Thanks Scallahan! Was fun to stumble around, thanks for bopping in

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

i seem to recall i just simply removed the dongle (?) try it.  
    Depends on what plug-ins you've got tied to it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Depends on what plug-ins you've got tied to it actually.
    Since you touched on the subject of plugins...how easy is it to transfer custom configs and plugins from 2015 to 2018?

Will upgrade in a few days and add OD_tools the exact same time. I am currently not at home, and without a computer, so I have to be patient a little. But really looking forward to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
    I haven't used my LightWave dongle since 11.x-something. Once I got all my plugins updated to work with the soft license, the dongle seemed like a nuisance and I got rid of it. (Ok, I still keep it stored away 'just in case,' but I haven't used it since 2013 so I don't really think I'll use it again.)

The only thing is that if you run LightWave on somebody else's computer, remember to remove your soft license key when you're no longer using it.

Regarding keeping both, in theory, you should be able to just remove the dongle and restart LightWave. However, when I have the dongle installed, my LightWave will run in demo mode if I have the soft license also installed. I've seen that happen with other artists I've worked with too, so it might not be possible. In my experience, anyway, it's either or, and not both.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    Since you touched on the subject of plugins...how easy is it to transfer custom configs and plugins from 2015 to 2018?
    I wouldn't...IMO, re-using a config between any different versions of LightWave is asking for trouble. This has always true and it is especially so for LightWave 2018.

If you have custom menu tabs and keyboard settings, you can probably salvage those by exported them out from the older LW and importing them to the new one. If the menu tabs are additional to defaults, it should be fine. For custom keyboard shortcuts, be aware that you may be compromising what's been developed specifically for 2018. My feeling is always to try out a new version with the intended settings first and then customize. Quite often I find that there's been improvements in a new release that make my past customizations obsolete.

As for plugins, don't port everything at once. That's asking for trouble too. If you think about it, some plugins will obviously not work in 2018. (Like shaders and many texture/surface related plugins.) General rule is that many Layout plugins will break, and most Modeler plugins will still work. What I've done is added plugins one or very few at a time...it's easier to troubleshoot this way.

Visit this thread to see what works and what doesn't: LightWave 2018 Plugins (Tested)

Last week I tried out a bunch of third party plugins. Many of the Third Powers suite, TurbulenceFD, Deep Rising, VueSynch, DP Verdure worked fine. Right now I'm testing RHiggit, which so far seems fine. (Okay, past testing and actually trying it in production now...I'll post in the above thread if I run into a show-stopper.)

One thing to watch out for: 2018 scenes and objects are not backwards compatible, so if you're porting content from a previous LightWave, be sure to work with a copy.

I will definitely do as soon as i pay my bills. until then i will be experimenting with the trial version. very excited about the good news and experiences.

I'll be upgrading. Our pipeline has LightWave at its core so that's a good start. My brain knows how to use it, so that's another plus. I'm happy modelling in Modeler with LWCAD so that side is good. I've spent the last year using Octane and a PBR workflow so I'm comfortable with that side of things. If we changed to another piece of software we would have to learn that from scratch - sticking with LightWave means we know much already.

Work is mainly product stills/animations and interior/exterior arch viz plus general illustration for ad agencies. Most critical aspect is time - the ability to pop something out quickly and of decent quality.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

I will wait for the moment, due to the silence of Newtek we started to use Modo last year and all lightwave improvments are already present in Modo and there is better communication from the Foundry about the future...
    I was expecting from Newtek (or LWG) some statement, ok, I don't pretend a roadmap but for instance something like: Sorry, we apologize but from now You will get a new version every year etc etc. or something different, but after 3 years of silence and only improvements on rendering and some optimization (I'm sure they costed lot of efforts and they are good) how can we invest in a software if I don't know if there will be ever some improvemnts in the modeler, or in animation etc. etc. I loved Lw for more than 20 years but is hard to invest on it again if you are always behind and even if workflow is great who reassure me that if there is some incompatibility between Lw 2018 and future upgrade of winows 10 they will be fixed by maintenance upogrades or patch? Or if fbx doesn't work they will release an update ?See what happened with LW 2015, after verison 2015.3 we had no bug fixing despite users were claiming and we had to wait 3 years to get new version...I think like I said in the thread I started (we deserve a roadmap) that at least we deserve some statement about the future, but despite promises I heard only a big silence since now...
    technical & art director
    3dSign the rendering&animation studio
    www.3dsign.it

cinematic weirdo
    Upgraded to Lightwave 2018 !

Happy new year to all Lightwave users and the team that rolled out the release !!!

Downloading and installation went smooth.

Installing LWCAD 5.5, StarPro went fine. Both working.
    OD Tools 2018 and db-w infinimap and EXRtrader 2018 updates ordered . . .

Old models /projects import fine . . .
    PBR to be explored . . . :-)

Regards,

Marcus
    Last edited by mch; 01-01-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo
    Digital Cinema, Motion Control, VFX . . . cine-vfx.com/

Upgraded this morning, opening old scenes is not as dangerous as it been made out to be, the loader prompts you create a new empty directory and it will re write every thing for that scene to this location_ Images, Objects & Scenes all properly in their own directory so no need to work with a copy at all LW will handle it for you, as for 2018 itself, it's different and will take some time to figure out new ways of doing things as not everything is the way it used to be

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast