Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's planning on upgrading to LW 2018?

Who's planning on upgrading to LW 2018?

After watching the videos that Antti has posted so far https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCET...q_tKn2_Pinw1Rg I'm convinced that the new rendering features and enhancements alone are worth the $295 upgrade price for me.

Who plans on upgrading and why?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Unsure; mainly due to utilizing Blender at this time for game art. I may revisit it in the future, depending on whether there is a clear path for future development. Talk is rather cheap around here. I do, however, hold out high hopes for all involved; and don't rule out a return to Lightwave for me.
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

For doing Arch Viz work I find Lightwave to still be very fast, productive and efficient compared to other options out there. I can see especially for those who do a variety of work in 3D that it might not necessarily be the best option for them.

I will - I have always felt I got my money's worth when I upgrade / stay current as I get to use all the improvements from day one. 295.00 is cheap enough not to worry one way or the other. If the next update is 6 months out great it will have new feature worth the price if it is years away then my cost per day for the last upgrade drops to the .25 cents a day relm.
    Shuttle XPCVista 64 bit /Core2Extreme x9650 3.00GHz 8GB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Cintiq 21UX
    Dell 24" LCD Dell XT2 Tablet /Win 7 32 Bit /Core 2 duo SU9600 1.6 GHz 3GB / Mobil Intel 4500MHD

Count me in. So that's three sales ! I'm not sure there will be an instantaneous glut of sales immediately after midnight due it being Sunday plus a New Years Eve where people get distracted by all sorts of stuff....but I sure hope I'm wrong. Reasons - support LW, new FiberFX, want to learn the PBR workflow and knowing I won't have to spend again till the next update in 15 years from now !!! (Joke, I was just joking on that last one !).
    Last edited by TheLexx; 12-31-2017 at 03:52 PM.

once i get a dollar.

not a LW complaint, rather a complaint in regards to my economy.  

happy new, and may 2018 bring us all $$$!

Last edited by erikals; 12-31-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Last edited by jperk; 12-31-2017 at 01:45 PM.

I will be. I had already put a reminder in my calendar for The Big Day.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

i also look forward to seeing what's possible in LW2018.

very curious to see if 3rdPowers can/will have a go at Layout Sculpt Tools.

....aaaand speculation mode > on!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Oh .... **** yea!

I have to admit that I'm a little confused as to what exactly happened with 'Next". Rob Powers/Lino and team at LW3DGroup said they would do with the next generation of LW. And then started a blog about it, with details about these changes. And then the silence started....

The thing is, this 2018 release looks exactly like LW3DGroup delievered on their promises? So why the long silence and split?

Anyways... I can't wait to see what 3rd party developers come out with. I suspect this "geo replacement" engine is going to create a *huge* amount of innovation among 3rd party developers.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I'm not sure there will be an instantaneous glut of sales immediately after midnight due it being Sunday plus a New Years Eve where people get distracted by all sorts of stuff....but I sure hope I'm wrong.
    Even though I plan on upgrading I won't be making my purchase at midnight. I have to get to sleep early so I can get up at 4:30 am to drive my wife to work. I'm also currently busy on a project for a client so I won't have time to set up 2018 and play around with it yet anyway. I'm hoping I will have time to get it before the end of the week though.

Possibly yeh

I think the price is a no-brainer! Looking forward to tomorrow

Plan to upgrade once I get the chance, which should be within the first week of release. The videos from Antti have shown the new render features are worth the price. New PBR materials, new lights, new environment light are all significant upgrades. The videos have shown that the control and options seem to be pretty deep, compared to what we saw in the blog.

I am also concerned about what the behind the scenes shake up means for future development. I think what a lot of people were worried about if things went wrong, was a lack luster release, that was the same old LW with a few minor improvements. That would show they were incapable of real progress. What we see with this release however, is that significant work was done. It may not be unification, but there are a lot of big changes to everything involved in rendering. Now, I'm not sure what to think. You don't do this much work if you are planning to give up on the product, but considering the departure of Rob, under mysterious circumstances, we still don't know what is going on with this product, and they won't tell us. So they have a product that is great in many ways, that people care about, but that it is impossible to have confidence in, long term. I'll buy it, because I can live with the price, and I will use it, but I wish we could get a commitment from NewTek on their future intentions. It would help LW succeed.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast