Thread: Sportzcast Scorebot - Do I need the yearly subscription?

Sportzcast Scorebot - Do I need the yearly subscription?

Will the Sportzcast Scorebot work fine without the yearly subscription plan?

We would like to automate our scoreboard overlay. Our current setup is to run Kris Gurrad's LT scoreboards in Livetext on a separate computer and input into Tricaster via NDI.

Our ideal workflow would be: Daktronics Scoreboard---->Interface--->Network---->Livetext Computer--->Tricaster.

The two options available seem to be the Daktronics Allsport CG and the Sportzcast Scorebot.

I've been leaning toward the Scorebot because it seems that it will connect to our existing network via ethernet and we can caputure that data via Livetext/XML; however, I do not want to pay the yearly subscription service when we won't be utilizing their online service.

If I were you, I'd reach out to Sportzcast and ask them directly. I did this fall and decided ultimately to go with the Daktronics All Sport CG to avoid the yearly cost. To transmit over the network, I take the serial output of the All Sport CG into a Lantronix SGX 5150 device gateway (https://www.lantronix.com/products/sgx-5150/) and then decode on the Livetext computer with Lantronix Com Port Redirector (free software) to create a virtual com port.
    Gabe Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
    If I were you, I'd reach out to Sportzcast and ask them directly. I did this fall and decided ultimately to go with the Daktronics All Sport CG to avoid the yearly cost. To transmit over the network, I take the serial output of the All Sport CG into a Lantronix SGX 5150 device gateway (https://www.lantronix.com/products/sgx-5150/) and then decode on the Livetext computer with Lantronix Com Port Redirector (free software) to create a virtual com port.
    It seems you absolutely do need the yearly plan unless you buy their more expensive device. It is almost twice the price of the Allsport CG.

I like your solution, but I'm not sure if that Lantronix device will work on our school network.

I can't believe there is not a less expensive solution for decoding scoreboard data!

I’m in a similar situation trying to choose the best method for grabbing scoreboard stats to bring into our TriCaster. With that Lantronix device... does that mean you feed the scoreboard data into your network and then pick it up at a different location with your machine running LiveText? If that’s what you’re doing, it sounds like a solution for me. We’re trying to be as wireless as possible and if we could port that data from our gym back to our tv studio a few hundred yards away that would be ideal.
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ
    http://www.VoorheesTV.com

TriCaster Mini - AE 3
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface
    Primary Cameras - JVC GY-HM750 - Birddog Eyes P200 PTZ

How much is the All Sport CG?
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder

$1500
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ

TriCaster Mini - AE 3

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnotestine View Post
    It seems you absolutely do need the yearly plan unless you buy their more expensive device. It is almost twice the price of the Allsport CG.

I like your solution, but I'm not sure if that Lantronix device will work on our school network.

I can't believe there is not a less expensive solution for decoding scoreboard data!
    Hi John,

What was the solution you went with? I'm in exactly the same situation as you. The Scorebot seems perfect, but admin much prefers fixed-cost items, not subscriptions. Tech also doesn't want us using device gateways, so it seems the Allsport CG won't work either (our control room is hundreds of feet away).

SportzCast does offer a version of its Score Bot that's completely local. No subscription service. No remote servers. You can reach out to them and ask.
    We use the Score Bot that does have an annual subscription, and it has worked great so far.

We went with the ScorBot 4000 which was bundled with the first year's subscription. We will not be renewing that subscription plan when it runs out as it offers no added features we'll need. The ScorBot 4000 will operate with no annual subscription. We run our graphics from our control room which picks up the data from the gym or out on the field over our network. We also use NewBlue Titler Live to receive the data (just punch in the IP address of the ScoreBot into the NewBlue interface). NewBlue has some pretty nice customizable scoreboard templates that has the added bonus of animating on and off...something we wouldn't get with the simple graphics built into the TriCaster. That scoreboard is then sent out of New Blue via NDI into our TriCaster. NewBlue also allows us to set up macros on the TriCaster which can send trigger commands to the NewBlue machine to automate any of the made titles we have lined up for a given game - Punch the #1 Key on the TriCaster and the animated scoreboard comes on with sound effects, the #2 key brings up the starting lineup, etc.
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ

TriCaster Mini - AE 3

Andrew Carlson
    We've been using Sportzcast for about 4 years now. We have one of their first Scorebots and pay an annual subscription. We used to run the CG editor directly inside the TriCaster but this year we're running it on a separate computer. This allows you to make adjustments on the fly to the CG (on the TriCaster you need to exit your session to make adjustments...which kills you video stream).

I really like it. Its nice not to have to worry about the scoreboard/scorebug while doing the broadcast. Once you get it set up, it just works. When you working with a VERY small crew, its completely necessary. Totally worth the money....find a sponsor to pay your yearly subscription.

We're running some older Daktronics scoreboard controls so a wireless connection to the controller is not an option (All Sports 3000 andd is a version that can't connect to sportzcast wireless bot). The bot plugs into the scoreboard controller via a 1/4 plug and into one of the "J" ports. We then connect the bot wirelessly to our network with a cheap wireless extender (this creates a wired network connection at our score-table). IF you have a network connection at your score-table you won't need the wireless extender.

https://youtu.be/QlsMrJS87oQ?t=1388

Quote Originally Posted by nsdV View Post
    This allows you to make adjustments on the fly to the CG (on the TriCaster you need to exit your session to make adjustments...which kills you video stream).
    Not to quibble with your praise of a fine product, but just for clarity, there are any number of ways to update graphic content externally on most if not all TriCasters without exiting a session - including some excellent free ones. (Sorry, I just don't want anyone to draw a wrong impression about this.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Andrew Carlson
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Not to quibble with your praise of a fine product, but just for clarity, there are any number of ways to update graphic content externally on most if not all TriCasters without exiting a session - including some excellent free ones. (Sorry, I just don't want anyone to draw a wrong impression about this.)
    Yes, I'm totally aware....Actually nearly ALL CG (besides the built in LiveText) is run externally and can be adjusted on the fly. I actually do like the idea of the Sportzcast CG running on the TriCaster (eliminates a second computer) but we've had a few instances that required us to close out the session.

Are these FREE solution as automated as the Sportzcast solution? Working in a public school we are definitely on a limited budget and I'm always looks for ways to do things cheaper.

There are things that I don't like about Sportzcast. One is how antiquated the editor is. I wish it has some sort of "format painter" like MS Word or "Styles" that could be applied to text. It takes way too long to make changes to fonts and colors.