Thread: NDI Access Manager for OSX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NDI Access Manager for OSX

Hi gals and pals

I want to use Newtek studiomonitor or Sienna NDI Monitor (on my Mac) without using NDI Cloud or anything other than something that works like NDI Access Manager, that does the job on windows.
    The source is as you can understand on another subnet.

Will there be a NDI Access Manager for OSX, or is there a manual way of doing that trick.

Happy New Year and say hi to Andrew C:
    /olle soprani
    http://svt.se
    http://casparcg.com

Quote Originally Posted by soprani View Post
    Hi gals and pals

I want to use Newtek studiomonitor or Sienna NDI Monitor (on my Mac) without using NDI Cloud or anything other than something that works like NDI Access Manager, that does the job on windows.
    The source is as you can understand on another subnet.

Will there be a NDI Access Manager for OSX, or is there a manual way of doing that trick.

Happy New Year and say hi to Andrew C:
    /olle soprani
    http://svt.se
    http://casparcg.com
    Hi Olle

We have implemented an equivalent to NDI Access in our Sienna Smart Processing Router client for Mac, and it works. I guess we could roll out the same functionality for other Mac NDI Apps if there is demand.

One end of NDI Access is already implemented in Mac NDI - so you can already reach remote Macs from Windows using recent versions of NDI - but the local mechanism for listing remote systems is missing on Mac.

We have been holding off to see whether NewTek will create official Mac support, before we go ahead with our alternative.
    Realistically the mechanism used for NDI Access in Windows probably wouldn't be compatible with a Mac App Store "NDI Access" type app anyway, so it will take a different implementation.

What is your specific need ?

Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    Hi Olle

We have implemented an equivalent to NDI Access in our Sienna Smart Processing Router client for Mac, and it works. I guess we could roll out the same functionality for other Mac NDI Apps if there is demand.

One end of NDI Access is already implemented in Mac NDI - so you can already reach remote Macs from Windows using recent versions of NDI - but the local mechanism for listing remote systems is missing on Mac.

We have been holding off to see whether NewTek will create official Mac support, before we go ahead with our alternative.
    Realistically the mechanism used for NDI Access in Windows probably wouldn't be compatible with a Mac App Store "NDI Access" type app anyway, so it will take a different implementation.

What is your specific need ?
    Hi, and thanks for the response.

The scenario is like this:
    We have a NewTek Connect Pro server connected to the main matrix in Stockholm, but our company is all around Sweden and we have a mixed environment of computers. Sometimes the need for accessing the sources in the Stockholm main matrix arrises and if I am on a Mac there is no easy way of doing that. We have looked at NDI Cloud and on Medialooks but it feels like an unnecessary step to take just because you are on a Mac. We mostly use this workflow to get a preview when doing remoteprodoctions against Stockholm.

So the dream would be the possibility to do this with NDI Monitor and NDI Outlet.

Happy New Year
    /olle

Quote Originally Posted by soprani View Post
    Hi, and thanks for the response.

The scenario is like this:
    We have a NewTek Connect Pro server connected to the main matrix in Stockholm, but our company is all around Sweden and we have a mixed environment of computers. Sometimes the need for accessing the sources in the Stockholm main matrix arrises and if I am on a Mac there is no easy way of doing that. We have looked at NDI Cloud and on Medialooks but it feels like an unnecessary step to take just because you are on a Mac. We mostly use this workflow to get a preview when doing remoteprodoctions against Stockholm.

So the dream would be the possibility to do this with NDI Monitor and NDI Outlet.

Happy New Year
    /olle
    OK, We will add NDI Access style support for our Mac Apps in 2018.

With our proposed mechanism, you would need to enter your remote IP Addresses into *each* Mac app, since there is no central registry mechanism, but I suspect that will be no problem.

Maybe we will have a chat with NewTek and see if there is a more universal way we can do this.

In case any one is interested we are adding a rotate mode to NDI Outlet, which allows you to author content in 'modern' formats like Portrait HD, output in 9x16 NDI (from Premiere, OBS and other NDI apps which support non standard aspect ratios), then have NDI Outlet rotate the image again back to 16x9, so you can feed it to your monitor which is mounted 9x16 portrait on the wall.. !
    Last edited by livepad; 12-30-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    OK, We will add NDI Access style support for our Mac Apps in 2018.

With our proposed mechanism, you would need to enter your remote IP Addresses into *each* Mac app, since there is no central registry mechanism, but I suspect that will be no problem.

Maybe we will have a chat with NewTek and see if there is a more universal way we can do this.

In case any one is interested we are adding a rotate mode to NDI Outlet, which allows you to author content in 'modern' formats like Portrait HD, output in 9x16 NDI (from Premiere, OBS and other NDI apps which support non standard aspect ratios), then have NDI Outlet rotate the image again back to 16x9, so you can feed it to your monitor which is mounted 9x16 portrait on the wall.. !
    UPDATE: NDI Outlet now has NDI Access functionality built in:

The new version is not yet available in the app store, but you can try the demo version here
    Please email and let me know how the NDI Access mode works for you.

We have also added the Rotate mode, and you can see what it does in this quick video

Next Generation Video Workflows: Authoring in 9x16 then outputting via NDI feeding to NDI Outlet with Rotate sending to an SDI/HDMI 16x9 Screen mounted in portrait mode. NewTek have a blog post which might help appreciate these new video standards.

So, I went to the link and it doesn't have NDI Access button on there. I would really love this! Specifically because we work in Mac and Windows in my environment and this is what is preventing me from going full boar with this. My IT is hesitant to set up a VLAN so I need mac's to communicate with devices on other subnets.

If there was a way to get NDI Access Manager on MAC, I would purchase today.
    Last edited by cfurrow; 01-31-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cfurrow View Post
    So, I went to the link and it doesn't have NDI Access button on there. I would really love this! Specifically because we work in Mac and Windows in my environment and this is what is preventing me from going full boar with this. My IT is hesitant to set up a VLAN so I need mac's to communicate with devices on other subnets.

If there was a way to get NDI Access Manager on MAC, I would purchase today.
    A quick update. We were a bit early with the NDI access implementation. We have now added the ability to enter target addresses into many of the mac apps and this info is passed to NDI.
    However, it turns out that NDI on mac is not yet responding to the extra addresses we are passing. Ndi on mac WILL work when accessing remote macs from windows but not yet the other way round. I believe support for this is coming soon from Newtek.

So need to wait a little longer, but it’s coming.

AWESOME! Would you mind sharing with me when that all get's sorted out?

Also, if I wanted to bring in a source from a PTZOptics camera NDI into a mac, do you think it would work too? Or no?

Quote Originally Posted by cfurrow View Post
    AWESOME! Would you mind sharing with me when that all get's sorted out?

Also, if I wanted to bring in a source from a PTZOptics camera NDI into a mac, do you think it would work too? Or no?
    We have been working the last 2 weeks with a NewTek PTZ1 and our Mac NDI Monitor to add full PTZ support to NDI Monitor.
    Works very nicely and should be the same with PTZ Optics NDI cameras.

The existing shipping Sienna NDI Monitor for Mac already worked with NDI HX devices, but doesn't do PTZ control

The new NDI Monitor with PTZ control will be in the App Store in a few days hopefully. Or you can contact Sienna via email to request a beta.