Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst thing that you've been told at a job interview...

I don't think I've ever had a bad interview, but I had a weird one once.

I was asked to drop by a programming company to see their new product. They gave me a tour of their shop and showed me the program they were developing. They we're really excited about it but I didn't really understand it or know who would use it. They were very nice but never heard from them again. I never figured out what they wanted from me.

Oh, wait, I do remember one 'bad' interview at a tv production studio. But that was all me...for some reason, I was really nervous about this job, and I think it showed. They were very nice to me but I was sure I wasn't getting the job. When I got home, I decided to call it a 'practice interview' and moved on...and I did much better on my next one at another company. A year later, that studio called and asked me to work on a couple of TV shows, so I guess I didn't make as bad an impression as I thought I did. You just never know.

The longest interview I had was with Rhythm & Hues, which ran well over two hours. That seemed unusually long to me but it was time well spent because I wound up working there as an artist for over 12 years.

Oh, oh! There was one interview with a video game producer, many, many years ago when I was working as a freelance illustrator. I brought my portfolio and he asked if he could borrow it to show his partners. I never heard from him again but at least I got a very nice dinner out of it. Then, about six months later, I got a call from the police. They apparently found my portfolio in an abandoned stolen car. I answered some questions and they asked me if I wanted my portfolio back. So, I did get it back eventually but the rest of this story remains a mystery to me.

I interviewed at MicroProse in 1998. They flew me out to Austin from San Francisco, put me up in a nice hotel, then at the interview they said MicroProse was shutting down in two weeks. I ended up working at Digital Anvil a month later.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

With being out of work for over a year now, almost every interview that I've been too over the past year has been a bad one, since not a single one has led to a job. I've even been going into Joe Schmoe's just to try and bring some money in. Luckily my wife is Manager of a retail store, so that's been what's supporting us.

Would love to get back into the graphics/video editing world though. I just feel I've been out of the loop for too long. All my former clients have brought everything in house and what little they do shop out goes to a select few post houses. I've been tempted to lower my rate, but I feel that does no one any good.

Anyways... Now that I think about it, the worst interview from this past year has to have been with a call center. I went in for an interview at 2pm, and was still sitting in their waiting room as the receptionist was packing things up to head home. She "had forgotten I was there", even though I was checking in with her and the other receptionist every 10 minutes.
    Curtis Rhoads

Desktop: Win10 x64 | i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | GeForce GTX970
    Laptop: Win10 x64 | i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GT650M
    Desktop: iMac | i7 3.5GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GTX 780M

Haven't had a permanent job in over two decades which really sucks! I kept getting told that there is no work for me here and I should emigrate to America. That's a great thing to hear at the job interview!!

Sitting outside waiting for the interview is also interesting as I'm usually surrounded by people half my age, fresh out of college, with everything still fresh in their head. I do a LOT of home studies, I keep myself up to date as best I can, but I've lost hope of finding a job here. I've even baffled four career advisors who didn't know what to do with me!! LOL!!!
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    There is no job, we just wanted to see what a genuine psychopath looks like.
    Didn't you go to England to that farm that was a bogus studio, where your room and board were part of your salary?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Didn't you go to England to that farm that was a bogus studio, where your room and board were part of your salary?
    Yes, that was...an experience.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Sometime people act weird

i went for an interview in sapient and after clearing till last round and talking to them they told me to they will contact me soon and after few days wheen is ask for the update they replied that no suck profile exist ... seriously people sometime acts weirddddddd :/ it was such a waste spending time there and preparing for their Interview questions ... weird world :/ :/

Once had a phone interview for a game design job working on the Vampire the Masquerade MMORPG. I had sent them a lot of my design material from past work and it included a lot of rough pre-viz stuff I did to go with the design documents to help communicate level and character concepts (this was before I started doing multimedia full time).

The interview lasted around two hours and I felt like it was going really well, until the guy started telling me how bad my artwork was; I said, well, it's a good thing I'm applying for a job as a game designer then right?

Got off the phone with mixed feelings about the whole thing and didn't get a call back. Good thing in a way though, because they went through around two-three years of development and then the whole thing folded. I could have ended up moving to Georgia and then looking for work again after just a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Haven't had a permanent job in over two decades which really sucks! I kept getting told that there is no work for me here and I should emigrate to America. That's a great thing to hear at the job interview!!

Sitting outside waiting for the interview is also interesting as I'm usually surrounded by people half my age, fresh out of college, with everything still fresh in their head. I do a LOT of home studies, I keep myself up to date as best I can, but I've lost hope of finding a job here. I've even baffled four career advisors who didn't know what to do with me!! LOL!!!
    LOL! You know that's almost similar thing I heard on last two interviews, market is tight in Scotland.

Apart from that, upon showing my demoreel and other animations, been asked can I edit videos(facepalm) 'no, all those anomations and reel edited themselves" ffs.

I interviewed at a company in Austin who made anti-virus software. They wanted to know how I'd make a virus for the Mac. I was eager to impress them, and I knew a few vulnerabilities that I'd probably use if I absolutely needed to. So I start to describe them, and then I notice the guys in the room next to us are sitting awfully still. They had the speakerphone on, and were taking notes. So I told them I'd write down the answer. I wrote down the most complicated problems I couldn't solve, and put arrows from one to the next. Then I left. A week later I get a call back from them and in the series of fake "follow up questions", they asked specifically how I'd solve one of the problems I gave them. It was a huge scam to figure out how to write a Mac virus so they could make 'anti-virus' software for it. That company is still around, they make PC security software. I forget the name, but if I remember it I'll come drop that in. I think they had a blue shield as a logo, and most recently I saw they were making products for Best Buy.

About two years ago I interviewed at a company called Avai Mobile in Austin. On my resume I mentioned that I had written a GPS mapping app for the San Antonio Zoo. At the end of the interview, one of the guys there asked if I would mind if they called the zoo to talk to them about it. He seemed really nervous about the question, so I told him that yes I would mind, since that app was still in development. When I got home, I **** thee not, I got a call from my friends at the zoo, telling me congrats on the job and that they had signed up with Avai for a year contract. Avai never called me back. They were just poaching from people's resumes. In my case, they had their salespeople call WHILE I was at the interview! I'm still mad about that one.

-Chilton
    Last edited by ConjureBunny; 05-10-2018 at 06:21 AM.

^ That's just mental!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12