Thread: Octane vs LightWave 2018 PBR

Octane vs LightWave 2018 PBR

Hi All,

I was just wondering if any of you 2018 Beta testers have compared the new PBR renderer to the speed of Octane?
    I don't have a powerful setup (2x 750Ti) but it is still faster than using current LightWave for certain animations that I work on.
    I suppose it's difficult to comment really as the performance is very much based on what what setups you are comparing.
    It's just going to be interesting to compare CPU rendering with new PBR on my i7 2600 with the GPU rendering with my 2x 750Tis, because off the top of my head there will be a lot more flexibility with the PBR because it is native. For example Octane can't use weight maps.

I like the option of being able to send my renders to a renderfarm using the Native renderer, because of the sheer speed of turnign animations around. But at the same time I like the idea of being able upgrade GPUs to be able to do a lot of the work at home and not have to pay for renderfarms. Sorry I am just spilling out my thoughts as I am having them haha.

I would be interested in everyones thoughts on comparing the two renderers, even if its just hypertheticals
    Last edited by gamedesign1; 12-23-2017 at 12:45 AM.

From my point of view two 750Ti GC is a powerful setup…
    I have only one 480gtx CG
    Eddy Marillat - PIXYM
    WS : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - i9 7980XE 2,6ghz 18C/36T - 32GB Ram- 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
    GPU Net Rig : MB Biostar - Celeron 2,8 ghz 2C/2T - 8GB Ram - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7 64

Quote Originally Posted by pixym View Post
    From my point of view two 750Ti GC is a powerful setup…
    I have only one 480gtx CG
    We are all at different levels based on our budgets and workloads. I would love a larger workload so I could have better GPUs

I think the benefit to Octane users with LW's new engine comes from interior renders.

Then again, Octane's upcoming denoising feature may solve the issues with the interiors..

Lot's of testing to do when the new LW arrives.

PS. I don't mind that much about the render speeds. I mean it needs to be fast and give immediate results when tweaking and stuff, but the actual render times are also the times I take a little break too and live a little.

Quote Originally Posted by ristoraven View Post
    I think the benefit to Octane users with LW's new engine comes from interior renders.

Then again, Octane's upcoming denoising feature may solve the issues with the interiors..

Lot's of testing to do when the new LW arrives.

PS. I don't mind that much about the render speeds. I mean it needs to be fast and give immediate results when tweaking and stuff, but the actual render times are also the times I take a little break too and live a little.
    Keep in mind we have to test Lw's own denoising system.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    Keep in mind we have to test Lw's own denoising system.
    Yup. Interesting tests ahead.

ohhh, slightly off topic, but it only just clicked, seems no one else has? the new PBR opengl mode, looks almost identical to final render

so that means for things like archviz, hard surface, you can probably just do a "make preview" and have an almost real time render! I'm guessing it might not support things like fur and voxels, but looking at the screen grabs they showed in the blog, its actually hard to tell from vpr at first glance! obviously displacement etc looks missing in these, but still, looks like a viable speed option

Last edited by rustythe1; 12-23-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    ohhh, slightly off topic, but it only just clicked, seems no one else has? the new PBR opengl mode, looks almost identical to final render

so that means for things like archviz, hard surface, you can probably just do a "make preview" and have an almost real time render! I'm guessing it might not support things like fur and voxels, but looking at the screen grabs they showed in the blog, its actually hard to tell from vpr at first glance! obviously displacement etc looks missing in these, but still, looks like a viable speed option

This did cross my mind too. Gonna have to try it and see

I'll say that I find Octane for my workflow is tremendous. I do have two titan cards (they are older) but to be talking about 750's is even older. We are upgrading to TWO 1080Ti's. That will really boost things.

I don't use Octane like most though. I use ambient occlusion in my ArchViz with some "tricks". I don't have noise issues and 1080 renders are almost never over 2 mins. I don't have to bake radiosity or worry about moving things. I just setup renders and go. Exteriors are usually 30 seconds with 10's of thousands of instances (trees cars etc).

I am very interested in the new system of LW and considering new CPU's as well. I might end up with Octane Exteriors and full Radiosity Interiors with LW PBR, will see first week of January! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    I'll say that I find Octane for my workflow is tremendous. I do have two titan cards (they are older) but to be talking about 750's is even older. We are upgrading to TWO 1080Ti's. That will really boost things.

I don't use Octane like most though. I use ambient occlusion in my ArchViz with some "tricks". I don't have noise issues and 1080 renders are almost never over 2 mins. I don't have to bake radiosity or worry about moving things. I just setup renders and go. Exteriors are usually 30 seconds with 10's of thousands of instances (trees cars etc).

I am very interested in the new system of LW and considering new CPU's as well. I might end up with Octane Exteriors and full Radiosity Interiors with LW PBR, will see first week of January! lol.
    same thing here.. i never use anything else than ambient occ. for exteriors in octane. But for interiors octane has huge issues in terms of speed and noise. waiting for denoiser.

AI Denoiser will be a huge addition in Octane 3.09. I am trying C4D with Corona and the denoiser helps a lot.
    Eddy Marillat - PIXYM
    WS : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - i9 7980XE 2,6ghz 18C/36T - 32GB Ram- 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
    GPU Net Rig : MB Biostar - Celeron 2,8 ghz 2C/2T - 8GB Ram - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7 64

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    same thing here.. i never use anything else than ambient occ. for exteriors in octane. But for interiors octane has huge issues in terms of speed and noise. waiting for denoiser.
    Yep, for exteriors I only use Direct Lighting unless there are lot's of overhangs or something I need to fill light in with. So those are super clean and fast. But for interiors like you have found the noise is an issue so Amb Occ works well with some tricks so to speak. Looking forward to what noise stuff comes out soon as well. Not sure which way I want things to land...I really enjoy Octane but I have saved lot's of library objects withe Octane information and named them dif than originals. Not looking foward to doing that again with new LWO structure again! lol.

Chair.lwo
    Chair-Octane.lwo
    Chair-LW18.lwo

DOH!!!