Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LW 2018 promotion (just an idea)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LW 2018 promotion (just an idea)

So I have this great idea for a LW 2018 promo sale for Newtek....here is the pitch.

“To thank all of our loyal customers that have stuck with us through the years, and to start the next chapter of LW on a positive note, we will be having a one day only upgrade sale.
    On Jan 1st 2018 will will upgrade any version of LW to LW 2018 for the one time price of $201.80 usd”

This I believe will prompt many to upgrade to LW 2018 right away as there is really no incentive to do it right away and I think many would wait until March and see what others think about LW 2018 before they buy.

This also would get LW 2018 into the hands of some early adopters and allow Newtek to build some ‘ buzz’
    regarding the LW 2018 release.

Anyways just an idea, but I think it has potential for some positive feedback at a minimal cost.

Just my 2 cents.
    Don't be a dink get some ink

It would probably get a few more people to upgrade put I don't know if enough users would upgrade to make up for the discount.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I don’t think it would really make up for the discount, and really that wouldn’t be the goal, , but it may prompt people to pull the trigger rather than wait and see.
    It would suck if Newtek drops LW 2018 and everyone just sits on their hands waiting to see what everyone thinks before they buy. Or worse just nothing, crickets chipping.........

I'm an early adopter and I'm perfectly fine with the $295 usd. Very affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by jperk View Post
    I'm an early adopter and I'm perfectly fine with the $295 usd. Very affordable.
    You are in a different position because you upgrade from 2015 Edu to 2018 full commercial, so basically you buy a full version for $495 or so. LW really got cheap but actually it's currently not worth more than $500 full price in my opinion anyway.

Edit: to justify the last phrase, this is in my opinion because it still requires many 3rd party plugins to cover base functionality and it still lacks alot even then.
    Last edited by Marander; 12-23-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    You are in a different position because you upgrade from 2015 Edu to 2018 full commercial, so basically you buy a full version for $495 or so. LW really got cheap but actually it's currently not worth more than $500 full price in my opinion anyway.

Edit: to justify the last phrase, this is in my opinion because it still requires many 3rd party plugins to cover base functionality and it still lacks alot even then.
    yeah, the amount i am going to have to spend in upgrades to plugins plus additional plugins makes it way less competitive compared to other apps version upgrades with no plugins required. this is something the lw team needs to address, imho

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    LW2018 was announced the week I graduated so I'm sort of treating the upgrade as a grad discount/ gift for myself. The Foundry officially has a grad deal for Modo commercial where grads can purchase it for $500.

So really paying $495 as a graduated student is no different to The Foundry's Modo grad discount.

I think I lucked out mostly by being a student and buying LW2015 at the right time. If I waited until after I graduated I'd of missed out on this deal.
    Last edited by jperk; 12-23-2017 at 08:11 AM.

the current price is good, if lower for a day, why not 100, or 50, or free for modo owners?

I have to admit that $295 is a good price, I am just spit balling an idea to create a little immediacy in the purchase decision

Great promotion idea! Only it should be $20.18 to really match the year (and suffering we've had)

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    Great promotion idea! Only it should be $20.18 to really match the year (and suffering we've had)
    That would be great, I could afford that on day one .
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Talking

If they really match the year it would be $2018.00.

$295 is more than fair and supports future development.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    $295 is more than fair and supports future development.
    How do you know it supports future development?? We have no idea how big the dev team is, nor if they are full or part time, nor how many these would sell, nor what their costs are and how much profit this would bring. They've told us nothing, so saying this price will lead to new development (and imply that better features are coming because of this price) is absurd.

They've told us nothing, so saying this price will lead to new development (and imply that better features are coming because of this price) is absurd.
    It is absurd to complain about a $295 upgrade no matter how large the team. Are you aware of the upgrade or subscription costs of competing programs? Are you aware that Autodesk has dramatically increased maintenance costs for legacy license holders and forced subscription on new users? Are you aware that as of 2018 Max and Maya have no free native network rendering solutions? LW 2018 includes a revamped renderer with unlimited nodes and refined network management. That alone is a tremendous value at $295.

I know of at least 5 active LW developers who have commented recently here or on Facebook. With Lightwave's dwindling user base $295 is low even if it were just paying a living wage for those 5, not to mention covering the cost of marketing.

You want Lightwave to survive and for development to continue at a steady pace? You want to see Lightwave advertisements online again? Then Lightwavers need to be willing to pay a fair, sustainable price.

NewTek is running a business. Lightwave can't leech off Newtek's video sales forever. Lightwave must be able to ultimately support itself.

If you don't feel LW 2018 has value enough to justify $295 then go use Blender or pay a premium for C4D, Max or Maya. Foundry licensing is not as nice as Lightwave but Modo costs are relatively reasonable compared to those other programs.

Lightwave can be fairly criticized in many areas but the pricing model is more than fair in my opinion.
    Last edited by Chris S. (Fez); 12-24-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast