Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: LW 2018 promotion (just an idea)

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    775
    Also, a chunk of people would expect the same giveaway price at every half-baked anniversary or public holiday on the basis of "Well you did it before", and for subsequent versions too. I think the $295 should be appreciated for what it is, followed by a stiff hike afterwards, perhaps setting the tone for more consistent development/releases, etc.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    You are in a different position because you upgrade from 2015 Edu to 2018 full commercial, so basically you buy a full version for $495 or so. LW really got cheap but actually it's currently not worth more than $500 full price in my opinion anyway.
    LW2018 was announced the week I graduated so I'm sort of treating the upgrade as a grad discount/ gift for myself. The Foundry officially has a grad deal for Modo commercial where grads can purchase it for $500.

    So really paying $495 as a graduated student is no different to The Foundry's Modo grad discount.

    I think I lucked out mostly by being a student and buying LW2015 at the right time. If I waited until after I graduated I'd of missed out on this deal.
    Last edited by jperk; 12-23-2017 at 08:11 AM.

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Also, a chunk of people would expect the same giveaway price at every half-baked anniversary or public holiday on the basis of "Well you did it before", and for subsequent versions too. I think the $295 should be appreciated for what it is, followed by a stiff hike afterwards, perhaps setting the tone for more consistent development/releases, etc.
    I understand what you mean, Iwould see it as a one off compensation for the ones tricked into the 2015 upgrade in order to be current.

  4. #19
    Deedle Eedle Eet c.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I find this a good and funny idea!

    If they would do this for CURRENT 2015 users for 24h or as a preorder as compensation that now pre 2015 and Edu users can upgrade to 2018 for $295, LWD3G I'm in.
    Nice!

    I just thought of the tag line:

    “2018 for $201.80”
    Don't be a dink get some ink

  5. #20
    Registered User sami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    TopLeft Viewport
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    $295 is more than fair and supports future development.
    How do you know it supports future development?? We have no idea how big the dev team is, nor if they are full or part time, nor how many these would sell, nor what their costs are and how much profit this would bring. They've told us nothing, so saying this price will lead to new development (and imply that better features are coming because of this price) is absurd.

  6. #21
    Super Member Chris S. (Fez)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,943
    Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    They've told us nothing, so saying this price will lead to new development (and imply that better features are coming because of this price) is absurd.
    It is absurd to complain about a $295 upgrade no matter how large the team. Are you aware of the upgrade or subscription costs of competing programs? Are you aware that Autodesk has dramatically increased maintenance costs for legacy license holders and forced subscription on new users? Are you aware that as of 2018 Max and Maya have no free native network rendering solutions? LW 2018 includes a revamped renderer with unlimited nodes and refined network management. That alone is a tremendous value at $295.

    I know of at least 5 active LW developers who have commented recently here or on Facebook. With Lightwave's dwindling user base $295 is low even if it were just paying a living wage for those 5, not to mention covering the cost of marketing.

    You want Lightwave to survive and for development to continue at a steady pace? You want to see Lightwave advertisements online again? Then Lightwavers need to be willing to pay a fair, sustainable price.

    NewTek is running a business. Lightwave can't leech off Newtek's video sales forever. Lightwave must be able to ultimately support itself.

    If you don't feel LW 2018 has value enough to justify $295 then go use Blender or pay a premium for C4D, Max or Maya. Foundry licensing is not as nice as Lightwave but Modo costs are relatively reasonable compared to those other programs.

    Lightwave can be fairly criticized in many areas but the pricing model is more than fair in my opinion.
    Last edited by Chris S. (Fez); 12-24-2017 at 02:49 AM.

  7. #22
    295 isn't cheap enough for everyone? I would say its time to find a new hobby or profession if that's the case. Lightwave isn't likely making them a profit as it is and you want to make it cheaper? Time for Blender for some users I guess.

  8. #23
    Deedle Eedle Eet c.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    295 isn't cheap enough for everyone?

    It’s not about making LW cheaper (I think $295 is a wicked deal)
    It’s just an idea for a one day promotion sale, a discount of $93.20 is not a huge amount but it may be enough to provide a push for some to pull the trigger and buy on day one.

    When Hurley or 3rdPowers has a limited pre release sale, it’s not about making their product cheaper its about “promoting”
    the product, maybe getting a quick and early bump in sales.
    Don't be a dink get some ink

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by c.1 View Post
    When Hurley or 3rdPowers has a limited pre release sale, it’s not about making their product cheaper its about “promoting”
    the product, maybe getting a quick and early bump in sales.
    I understand, but surely $295 represents exactly that. After the silence, NT couldn't exactly say "Hey, LW2018 is finally coming out so either put up or shut up" but they now have to shift as many as possible and quickly, so the $295 is the politest way of saying that I have ever seen.

    Apologies to you because I was originally a bit slow to get the joke about matching the year. But it's a bit like me going on a 4D forum and saying "C'mon Maxon, twentieth anniversary coming up - "celebrate" by letting me have 4D Studio for $201.80, or you can make it 201.80 in UK pounds because I'm feeling generous )".
    Last edited by TheLexx; 12-24-2017 at 01:04 PM.

  10. #25
    Deedle Eedle Eet c.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    274
    I really do get what you guys are saying, and I know I will be paying the great price of $295 to upgrade to LW 2018, that was never in question, I have paid more for past upgrades, it is a matter of when not if.

    But I just came across a perfect example of what I was trying to get across.

    Corel painter is a very good natural media painting program, I own a few versions.
    Corel every once in a while will send me an upgrade offer of hundreds of dollars off the regular upgrade price, I am looking at one right now for $150 off the regular upgrade price plus a bonus.......I will probably pull the trigger on this one as it is a killer deal.
    Limited time offer+great price=me buying
    And we can all agree (I think) that marketing and promotion of LW in the last few years has been a little.....lets say “under the radar”

    Anyways just an idea (I know it won’t happen)

    Cheers all Merry Christmas!
    Don't be a dink get some ink

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I understand, but surely $295 represents exactly that. After the silence, NT couldn't exactly say "Hey, LW2018 is finally coming out so either put up or shut up" but they now have to shift as many as possible and quickly, so the $295 is the politest way of saying that I have ever seen.

    Apologies to you because I was originally a bit slow to get the joke about matching the year. But it's a bit like me going on a 4D forum and saying "C'mon Maxon, twentieth anniversary coming up - "celebrate" by letting me have 4D Studio for $201.80, or you can make it 201.80 in UK pounds because I'm feeling generous )".
    Difference is Maxon sticks to their promotions and schedule. They don't say you have to upgrade now to get it cheaper but change their mind later. That's NewTek.

    I had no problem buying C4D Studio + various plugins and renderers and I don't mind paying $625 for the maintenance every year even as a hobbyist. I'm looking forward to get the R20 in September 2018 which I already have paid for with the maintenance. Maxon does only few promotions (like 30% at their 30th anniversary) for 24 hours or now 25% Christmas sale but they stick to their marketing campaigns. They don't make their product look cheap with constant fake sales.

    Correct, $295 is cheap. For me it's about the principle and sticking to the word. I'm not gonna pay the same price for LW2018 as users that are not current, at least not until end of March. I payed $395 for the 2015 upgrade only to be current which was the last chance according to them. However the way it looks LW 2018 doesn't offer me anything interesting at the current state, so I will save the money now instead.

    However Merry Christmas everyone!

  12. #27
    Super Member Chris S. (Fez)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    However the way it looks LW 2018 doesn't offer me anything interesting at the current state, so I will save the money instead!
    At least try the free trial before making a decision. Nothing to lose but an hour or two of testing. 2018 might surprise you.

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    At least try the free trial before making a decision. Nothing to lose but an hour or two of testing. 2018 might surprise you.
    Yes I definitely will test the demo and spend enough time with it to build a fair conclusion. Cheers!

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    775
    @ Marander, of course there is lattitude for philisophy and opinion on this, and I actually consider Cinema 4D Studio is extremely reasonable even at full price, but it is partly by this yardstick I think LW2018 is already a giveaway price, regardless of NT past circumstances, though obviously I can't go around spending other people's money for them. My own view is NT have humbly and sincerely apologised more than once, and also "put their money where their silent mouth was" by virtue of the $295 deal. I'll close there to stop rattling on about it.

    One thing we all seem agreed on though - Merry Christmas! Have a fantastic 2018 everyone.
    Last edited by TheLexx; 12-24-2017 at 02:37 PM.

  15. #30
    www.Digitawn.co.uk rustythe1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    It is absurd to complain about a $295 upgrade no matter how large the team. Are you aware of the upgrade or subscription costs of competing programs? Are you aware that Autodesk has dramatically increased maintenance costs for legacy license holders and forced subscription on new users? Are you aware that as of 2018 Max and Maya have no free native network rendering solutions? LW 2018 includes a revamped renderer with unlimited nodes and refined network management. That alone is a tremendous value at $295.
    indeed, many of the commercial plugins cost more than this each on their own
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •