Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: Have you seen The Last Jedi? A WARNING without Spoilers

Off Topic: Have you seen The Last Jedi? A WARNING without Spoilers

The movie sucks BAD. I mean, it is trash. Not from a VFX standpoint, but from a story standpoint. If you see good reviews by critics. They are lying. I avoided reviews before, but as a fan, I would have seen it, even if I heard it was bad. However, for those on the fence, or casual fans, I want to save you a few bucks$$$. Disney does not deserve your money for ruining something a lot of people enjoy. I could say a whole lot more, but you will find rants all over the net about this. Unfortunately this is real.

You've been warned.

Its better than the first one. That means its less sucky.
    Starwars in general is getting repetitive. The story is always about a jedi either going dark or light.
    Thats why rogue1 was actually good not like these two sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Its better than the first one. That means its less sucky.
    Starwars in general is getting repetitive. The story is always about a jedi either going dark or light.
    Thats why rogue1 was actually good not like these two sequels.
    Did you like Highlander 2 better than Highlander 1? Just wondering. Okay that was downright mean.

Episode 7 was a lackluster remake of Episode 4, but it was a masterpiece compared to the last jedi Ep 8.

Rogue 1 was good though.

Felt very prequel-ish. Lots of interesting concepts and narrative themes in a movie with terrible pacing, groan-worthy dialogue, a nonsensical plot ...and gross alien milking. Grumpy Mark Hamill is the best part.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    Did you like Highlander 2 better than Highlander 1? Just wondering. Okay that was downright mean.

Episode 7 was a lackluster remake of Episode 4, but it was a masterpiece compared to the last jedi Ep 8.

Rogue 1 was good though.
    Highlander is an old movie. Maybe I watched it on hbo passively. Maybe the first one.
    But SW episode 8 is better than ep 7 with Kylo being less annoying, and the inspiration a mix of empire and return. Snow scene, new cute animals, how original.
    They're both not good to be watched over and over.

Yes, I have seen it.

It follows the same pattern what pretty much everything else in the scifi today: the premise in based on "what people expects to see". Original Star Wars was based on the premise of "I am almighty George Lucas and I will take the people where ever the F' I want to". People didn't know what to expect and George was smug about it. Today, there's thousands of "consultants" reading from their pie-charts what are the most expected preferences in a movie genre in this and that age groups and sexes. Then there has to be the gender equality & all. It all lacks creative freedom, or perhaps, there is no such thing at all and everything is gathered from social studies, what people "wants to see" then those "findings" are packed into a non offending and very sterile plot, then handed over to the cgi department to put a sugar coating all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Highlander is an old movie. Maybe I watched it on hbo passively. Maybe the first one.
    But SW episode 8 is better than ep 7 with Kylo being less annoying, and the inspiration a mix of empire and return. Snow scene, new cute animals, how original.
    They're both not good to be watched over and over.
    Well Highlander was a cult classic film. Highlander 2 was a sequel so bad, that destroyed so many plot threads, that they later made Highlander 3 and a tv series that are written as if the events of Highlander 2 never happened. We can only hope that the events of Last Jedi are treated as if they never happened. Like Rey wakes up from a dream in Ep 9, and continues on with the story from Ep 7. There's a good chance the career of Rian Johnson is over. His new trilogy will likely be cancelled, but then again Michael Bay keeps getting to make Transformer movies, so who knows. Collin Trevorow was smart to drop out of directing Ep 9. Good luck to JJ Abrams trying to fix the mess he is left, after Johnson burned down all the plot hooks he left him. Can't believe this script was approved.

I've only ever seen the original three, but of the latest one apparently Mark Hamill said to the director something like "I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character".
    Last edited by TheLexx; 12-19-2017 at 05:06 AM.

If you think about it, it would be impossible today to have a masculine, independent scoundrel as a main character, who would yell to the princes "you could use a good kiss". I mean, the world would collapse in shock.

Well, I am going to see the new Blade Runner today (finally). I always hope I am wrong. I am optimistic pessimist.

After seeing Star Wars episode VII, I swore I would not see a Star Wars movie again.

I remained two days angry.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

It seemed like they gutted the story to make a politically correct movie that didn't really match the other Star Wars movies. I liked the Fx...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I've only ever seen the original three, but of the latest one apparently Mark Hamill said to the director something like "I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character".
    I thought in his latest interviews he actually liked the development.
    His initial impression of the script was negative but after that, he liked how it turned out.

I haven't seen it yet. The only thing I really didn't like about the Force Awakens was the stupid jokes they seemed to want to sprinkle throughout the movie just for the sake of it. Some of them were very out of place and sloppy. I'm just hoping they didn't do that with The Last Jedi. Jokes can have there place in a movie but the shouldn't feel forced or out of place.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I saw it last evening with friends. I actually quite liked it, and thought it was better than its immediate predecessor. The time went by quite quickly. I think my reaction might be different than some because I don't really think of it as sci-fi, but rather as a space western (with a touch of Pixar thrown in ... I could do without yet another cuddly creature with big pitiful eyes).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    could do without yet another cuddly creature with big pitiful eyes).
    Yeah, that stuff I never liked in the star wars movies, except for some smaller creature stuff in the first three movies, but when it went muppet show with jar jar and some other figures..that sort of destroyed the magic for me, and I actually enjoyed the movie going back to be more of a conflict saga story with JJ abrams, I hope it isnīt too much of them ..of the sort I saw in the trailer for this movie, just canīt stand that.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast